Re: a thought

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 5, 2006
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Johnson" <rikjohnson@...> wrote:

      > Do you know what would be really cool???
      > ...(oops, I'm a nerd so anything I think is cool isn't) but still...

      Do you know what would be really cool? It already exists. Sort of:

      http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/

    • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 5, 2006
        On 6/5/06, wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:

        > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Johnson" <rikjohnson@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Do you know what would be really cool???
        > > ...(oops, I'm a nerd so anything I think is cool isn't) but still...
        >
        > Do you know what would be really cool? It already exists. Sort of:
        >
        > http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/
        >
        > Yeah, Kyoto Costume Museum is great for looking at different periods.
        >
        > I was thinking about the fade idea--it sounds great, but what garment do
        > you follow the evolution of? You'd have to have 10 figures or more and show
        > each one in different types of clothing, so that you could see the range of
        > fashions and styles that were present at any given point in time (what were
        > the kuge wearing for work? What about play? How about the buke?). It
        > would be a cool end product, but it would never fully explain things for
        > people, I'm afraid.
        >
        > It would be similar to problems of modern day clothes. You could show the
        > evolution of certain styles, but it would be hard to capture the true range.
        >
        > -Ii

      • JESSICA DODGE
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 6, 2006
          Cool, I like that idea,
          Hotaru

          Rick Johnson <rikjohnson@...> wrote:
          Do you know what would be really cool???
          ...(oops, I'm a nerd so anything I think is cool isn't) but still...

          A page with a man and a woman in clothing with another man in armor.
          Start with the first era, maybe even Hein, then have the pics morph or fade to the next era or sub-era to show how clothes and armor changed ove rthe years.

          So you'd have a number of illustrations from the Hein era showing a number of men and women in civilian and armor. Then you click <start> and the images change to the next era or so, and so on to modern times.

          It can be done by scanning in art and museum images and the occasioonal drawing and then a simple fade-to-the-next-pic program to show the evolution of clothing and armour.

          Ok, I have been breathing red paint and glue all day yesterday splicing my yari haft so am a bit strange in my thinking now<g>. But I stillthink it is a good idea.

          Rick Johnson, PO Box 40451, Tucson, Az. 85717
          http://www.geocities.com/DesertHenge
          http://www.geocities.com/RikJohnson_ERB
          http://www.geocities.com/RikJohnson_RLJ

        • JESSICA DODGE
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 6, 2006
            It would be nice to see SCA people in this idea. Sca people know what SCA people need to know. for A&S, Also, a peek inside and how it was made would be nice too.

            I am sure all this exist somewhere. But A site for Japanese for SCA sounds interesting.
            Hotaru

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 6, 2006
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, JESSICA DODGE <kaythiarain@...> wrote:

              > It would be nice to see SCA people in this idea. Sca people know
              what SCA people need to know. for A&S, Also, a peek inside and how it
              was made would be nice too.

              Anytime anybody says "Hey, they should - " I think that person has
              just volunteered to DO all that work with their genius idea.

              That having been said, I have tried to throw myself into a few
              knowledge gaps, as have many other members of this list. I know
              exactly how much work it takes to research and put up even the most
              modestly informative webpage - and how many times I have had to revise
              those pages as I discover new information.

              A lot of these things already exist in some form. Such as, for
              instance, Samurai For The SCA Guy at
              http://www.wodefordhall.com/samurai.htm
              Sorry, no fancy special effects, just donated photos and commentary.
              (Speaking of which, I'm always looking for participants!!!)

              Please visit the "Links" and "Files" sections of sca-jml if you have
              not done so already. There's a wealth of information on the very
              things you want - you just have to look.

              Saionji no Hanae
              West
            • JESSICA DODGE
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 8, 2006
                I am having a problem getting to your site. It closes out my explorer. There is no error message, it just shuts down.
                Hotaru

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 8, 2006
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, JESSICA DODGE <kaythiarain@...> wrote:

                  > I am having a problem getting to your site. It closes out my
                  explorer. There is no error message, it just shuts down.

                  I don't know why your browser is doing this. Sorry not to be of more
                  help.

                  You might try Mozilla Firefox or Netscape and see if they're any better.

                  Saionji no Hanae
                  West