a thought

  • Rick Johnson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 5, 2006
      Do you know what would be really cool???
      ...(oops, I'm a nerd so anything I think is cool isn't) but still...

      A page with a man and a woman in clothing with another man in armor.
      Start with the first era, maybe even Hein, then have the pics morph or fade to the next era or sub-era to show how clothes and armor changed ove rthe years.

      So you'd have a number of illustrations from the Hein era showing a number of men and women in civilian and armor. Then you click <start> and the images change to the next era or so, and so on to modern times.

      It can be done by scanning in art and museum images and the occasioonal drawing and then a simple fade-to-the-next-pic program to show the evolution of clothing and armour.

      Ok, I have been breathing red paint and glue all day yesterday splicing my yari haft so am a bit strange in my thinking now<g>. But I stillthink it is a good idea.

      Rick Johnson, PO Box 40451, Tucson, Az. 85717
      http://www.geocities.com/DesertHenge
      http://www.geocities.com/RikJohnson_ERB
      http://www.geocities.com/RikJohnson_RLJ

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 5, 2006
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Johnson" <rikjohnson@...> wrote:

        > Do you know what would be really cool???
        > ...(oops, I'm a nerd so anything I think is cool isn't) but still...

        Do you know what would be really cool? It already exists. Sort of:

        http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/

      • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 5, 2006
          On 6/5/06, wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:

          > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Johnson" <rikjohnson@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Do you know what would be really cool???
          > > ...(oops, I'm a nerd so anything I think is cool isn't) but still...
          >
          > Do you know what would be really cool? It already exists. Sort of:
          >
          > http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/
          >
          > Yeah, Kyoto Costume Museum is great for looking at different periods.
          >
          > I was thinking about the fade idea--it sounds great, but what garment do
          > you follow the evolution of? You'd have to have 10 figures or more and show
          > each one in different types of clothing, so that you could see the range of
          > fashions and styles that were present at any given point in time (what were
          > the kuge wearing for work? What about play? How about the buke?). It
          > would be a cool end product, but it would never fully explain things for
          > people, I'm afraid.
          >
          > It would be similar to problems of modern day clothes. You could show the
          > evolution of certain styles, but it would be hard to capture the true range.
          >
          > -Ii

        • JESSICA DODGE

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 6, 2006
              It would be nice to see SCA people in this idea. Sca people know what SCA people need to know. for A&S, Also, a peek inside and how it was made would be nice too.

              I am sure all this exist somewhere. But A site for Japanese for SCA sounds interesting.
              Hotaru

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 6, 2006
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, JESSICA DODGE <kaythiarain@...> wrote:

                > It would be nice to see SCA people in this idea. Sca people know
                what SCA people need to know. for A&S, Also, a peek inside and how it
                was made would be nice too.

                Anytime anybody says "Hey, they should - " I think that person has
                just volunteered to DO all that work with their genius idea.

                That having been said, I have tried to throw myself into a few
                knowledge gaps, as have many other members of this list. I know
                exactly how much work it takes to research and put up even the most
                modestly informative webpage - and how many times I have had to revise
                those pages as I discover new information.

                A lot of these things already exist in some form. Such as, for
                instance, Samurai For The SCA Guy at
                http://www.wodefordhall.com/samurai.htm
                Sorry, no fancy special effects, just donated photos and commentary.
                (Speaking of which, I'm always looking for participants!!!)

                Please visit the "Links" and "Files" sections of sca-jml if you have
                not done so already. There's a wealth of information on the very
                things you want - you just have to look.

                Saionji no Hanae
                West
              • JESSICA DODGE
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 8, 2006
                  I am having a problem getting to your site. It closes out my explorer. There is no error message, it just shuts down.
                  Hotaru

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 8, 2006
                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, JESSICA DODGE <kaythiarain@...> wrote:

                    > I am having a problem getting to your site. It closes out my
                    explorer. There is no error message, it just shuts down.

                    I don't know why your browser is doing this. Sorry not to be of more
                    help.

                    You might try Mozilla Firefox or Netscape and see if they're any better.

                    Saionji no Hanae
                    West