oriental pennsic dwelling

  • Aaron Rodgers
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2006
      hello all! I will be going to pennsic again this year and i saw so many interesting tents and dwellings.

      I wanted to know if any one could tell me of something that i could take to pennsic that was "oriental looking" to live in for my stay there. Besides a yert.

      I saw the house at clan yamakaminari and it was pretty sweet but i don't know how they made it. i got the basic instruction. and what it was made w/. but thats about it.

      so if anyone knows of an oriental dwelling then let me know plese

    • Erin Kelly
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2006
        Details about the house construction are in the Projects section of the
        Yama Kaminari website (http://yamakaminari.com/):
        http://yamakaminari.com/Projects/Saiaikoproject/buke_yashiki.html

        From what I've overheard, there isn't much available when it comes to
        appropriate Japanese temporary housing. One option is the akunoya
        style tent, which can be made by using a commercially available car
        shelter. But I hear that these were not really used for lodging, only
        for gatherings (garden parties, holding court, and such). Aha, there
        is a section on akunoya in the sengokudaimyo:
        http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/tents.html

        ERIN
      • Barbara Nostrand
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 5, 2006

          > I saw the house at clan yamakaminari and it was pretty sweet but
          > i don't know how they made it. i got the basic instruction. and
          > what it was made w/. but thats about it.

          As I understand it, the design is still being tweaked, so it isn't
          ready to be posted publicly yet. There is a lot of use made of set
          construction techniques. However, the basic frame is portable
          carport. There are other options such as building more permanent
          structure on a trailer frame.