new to group

  • darkoak_2000
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2006
      Hi we are new to this group but not to the sca, used to play but
      took a sabatical and want to come back as Japanese. We are in
      Artemisia if anybody is from there. We would like to play in the
      Muromachi period and have found some names that we like and hope
      that they are period. Tbe name that he likes is Yamashiro Nagamitsu
      and the one that I like is Kanamore Yamabukime. The first question
      is if we want to play as married do our surnames have to match? Also
      I have my AoA with my other persona and was wondering how that
      transfers and what the appropriate title would be. We would
      appreciate any help that we can get especially with clothes and
      armor. I have some material but I am pretty sure that it is not
      period now that I have done some research and have red material for
      hakamas (already cut out) that I now realize that I do not need :(
      and the other material we have has small geometric patterns on it?
      Any good links for how to make armor that would work for the sca and
      be quick and relatively inexpensive to start (working our way into
      good stuff to start) He wants to be heavy and I would love to be
      his archer (any links for that) Sorry I know this is a lot we are
      both just so excited and would love any help that can be offered.

      Yours in Service
      Naga and Yama
    • Jessi Canfield
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2006
        My husband and I are new to this group, but not the
        sca we used to play as Italian and Norse, We are
        wanting to start playing as Japanese in the Muromachi
        time period and have found names that we both like
        that seem to fit with the time period. Mine is
        Kanamore Yamabukime and his is Yamashiro Nagamitsu.
        We also need help with a lot of things so I will just
        start listing them off. We need help with clothing
        and fabric, I have picked some up and have cut out
        hakamas and started putting them together for me and
        have found out that they are not period for women in
        the era we want to play, would they wear them at any
        time? Also the material I have has small repeating
        geometric patterns will this work. We are both former
        rapier fighters but want to move into the heavy combat
        and archery aspects (both heavy and regular archery)
        and would love for some links to help with armor. we
        made me a tanto and wakasachi(spelling) yesterday
        since I primarily want to do archery. Also are there
        any references for women fighting in japan during this
        time? Two more question and I promise I will stop we
        are both very excited to be getting back into the sca
        with persona's we both want to have. If we want to be
        married in the sca would we both have to have the same
        surname and I have my AoA, how do titles work, I found
        the sight that gave all of the rankings but would all
        of that come before the name? Any help would be
        greatly appreciated.

        Yours in Service
        Yama and Naga

        Jessica Canfield

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4, 2006
          Welcome.

          what you seek can be found there.

          Saionji no Hanae,
          West Kingdom
        • Barbara Nostrand
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4, 2006

            Greetings from Solveig! Welcome to the mailing list! You should
            probably also check out:

            http://www.yamakaminari.com/Projects/How_to.html

            for plans for rough-and-ready kit to help get yourselves started.
            Incidentally, the question of hakama is more varied than people may
            tell you. What period are you interested in? With a -me style female
            name, I would guess either Nara or Heian. If that is the case, then
            you get to wear not one, but two pairs of hakama at the same time.

            Incidentally, you should check out the Costume Museum in Kyoto:

            http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/

            Here you can visually "shop" for clothing which interests you.

          • violaangel01
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 5, 2006
              Sorry about the double post we were having trouble with our computer
              and it said that it did not go through

              Many apologies
              Yama