Re: [SCA-JML] Nother one my computer ate: "Nits"

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2000

      > > As I recall, Chinese sources
      > > have early Japanese eating food with their hands while squating
      > > on the ground. Chinese influence brought in eating utensils and
      > > tables.
      >
      >Are you sure we're not dealing with the "Romans Writing
      >About Celts" doc problem here? Wherein: the writer wants
      >to dis the people he is talking about.

      Well, the Japanese took up eating Chinese style and the court even
      took up eating Chinese food for a while. Chinese style dining was
      on fairly distinctive tables and chairs which the Japanese later
      abandoned along with the food. The Japanese retained chopsticks.

      >It can be - i think i've seen (o.k.outta period) photos of
      >J-school girls in their red hakama and victorian lace up
      >boots... cute.

      Well, there was a BIG fad for European stuff during the 16th
      century. Quite a bit earlier, there was a BIG fad for Chinese
      stuff.

      >...but... ever seen one of those photos showin J-guys
      >wearing Euro overcoats and bowler hats?? Ick!!! (But then
      >most post-Edo Euro stuff is pretty pathetic anyhow.

      What is "pathetic" about wearing a bowler hat with Japanese
      clothing during the Edo period? It was the epitome of being
      modern at the time the Japanese were doing it. Look at it
      this way. There is currently a sushi fad of sorts in the
      United States. Several varieties of sushi have even been
      invented in North America. If the Meiji Japanese were
      pathetic, then American sushi eaters are probably at least
      as pathetic. I don't think so.

      | techie.com, msn.com |