Re: [SCA-JML] Big (garb) Trouble in Little Japan...

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2000

      One should not assume that Japanese peasants stank nor should one assume
      that they wore particularly dirty clothes nor should one assume (even
      after seeing the movie portraying life in a nagaya) that they wore ratty
      clothihng. Peasnats could and did make clothing out of straw and all
      sorts of stuff. Agrarian society means that you have all Winter to do
      stuff like make clothes and other around the cottage type stuff.
      Further, Japanese peasant villages were during much of Japanese period
      actually administered by a headman and had a fair degree of autonomy
      and what naught.

      *SIGH* I want to start citing references, but my books are hiding at
      the momment and it is a bit late. There are books about daily life in
      Japan during period. There are a number of dissagreeable things about
      peasant life and for the most part they ate millet instead of rice,
      but wearing tatters just does not cut it. While the nobility was busy
      wearing silk, the peasants were making do with sturdy fabrics like
      linen and hemp.

      Oh yes. One more thing. There are pictures of people wearing clothing
      which is either short or hitched up. And, it was known for people
      including women (according to some sources at least) to strip to the
      waist while transplanting rice seedlings.

      As for bathrobes. Please get one that is either solid or has a Japnaese
      print on it. Also, please make real himo for yourself. They can be
      simplly made by sewing cloth tubes. Finally, please wear them left over
      right even if you are female.

      | techie.com, msn.com |