Nother one my computer ate: "Nits"

  • lynnx@enteract.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 29, 2000
      > Do you know a ready source for wagashi? Short of driving to Chicago, I'm outta
      > luck. Even a source that can ship it...

      Hummm... I'm *in* Chicago. Where trains n buses don't go,
      friends will... then i send it to you.

      Effingham, which stores would you try?
      Diho Mart? That j-mall up by Golf Rd? Somewhere else? (I
      can always call around, local call for me:-) then get a bus
      or a ride out to get it. I'd probly need some kind of
      recomp for time and gas or ticket - but could work that out
      so everyone's happy.

      How soon would you want this? (Also... What is it? :-b )

      > "Pilgrimage" isn't a verb; one can't pilgrimage.

      Absolutely right. It's "Pilgrimage it" or "Pilgrim it"
      <<looking for something to duck behind>> - just in case this
      computer does not totally destroy my post before it's
      finished

      > > Red represents good fortune.

      > Not really. { g }

      Seriously, d'you know of any online doc that would give more
      than just "dress-up" colors (those are also welcome too of
      course)

      > As I recall, Chinese sources
      > have early Japanese eating food with their hands while squating
      > on the ground. Chinese influence brought in eating utensils and
      > tables.

      Are you sure we're not dealing with the "Romans Writing
      About Celts" doc problem here? Wherein: the writer wants
      to dis the people he is talking about.
      Reasons can vary: Caesar wanted to impress the Roman biggies
      just how absolutely Filthy Cruel And Disgustingly Immoral
      these Nasty Barbarians were, so the Emporer would pat him on
      the head, say "GOOOOOD Fine Roman General For Cleansing 'em
      Out Of There (So we can move in). And give C. a higher rank
      with lots more money and power.

      And then there's that Chinese one that a Ch. princess was
      exiled to this island for ***** with a monkey, she got
      pregnant and .....

      (****Remember Please**** I'm reciting this one to question
      varacity of Ch sources on J stuff, it's not my story!)

      ...well so much for the Ch. theory of where the Japanese
      came from. A lot of "outside" sources are being questioned
      lately, not just ch/j ones.

      > even English clothing. This would
      > > even be a great opportunity to COMBINE! Japanese and European clothing.
      > > Wear that dashing cardinal's cloak and hat with that Japanse kosode and
      > > hakama.
      > >

      > Now *that* would be cool.

      It can be - i think i've seen (o.k.outta period) photos of
      J-school girls in their red hakama and victorian lace up
      boots... cute.

      ...but... ever seen one of those photos showin J-guys
      wearing Euro overcoats and bowler hats?? Ick!!! (But then
      most post-Edo Euro stuff is pretty pathetic anyhow.

      s.e.
      going offline 'fore my puter does it for me...

      [piece a $#!+ did it for me... that's why this 3 or 4 days
      behind. Not to mention the ###### thing deposited one jml
      and
      some other stuff in the Trash folder. Sorry for being so
      ...anachronistic]

      So maybe i can get up to the most recent fistfull of stuff
      ...HAH
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31, 2000

        > > As I recall, Chinese sources
        > > have early Japanese eating food with their hands while squating
        > > on the ground. Chinese influence brought in eating utensils and
        > > tables.
        >
        >Are you sure we're not dealing with the "Romans Writing
        >About Celts" doc problem here? Wherein: the writer wants
        >to dis the people he is talking about.

        Well, the Japanese took up eating Chinese style and the court even
        took up eating Chinese food for a while. Chinese style dining was
        on fairly distinctive tables and chairs which the Japanese later
        abandoned along with the food. The Japanese retained chopsticks.

        >It can be - i think i've seen (o.k.outta period) photos of
        >J-school girls in their red hakama and victorian lace up
        >boots... cute.

        Well, there was a BIG fad for European stuff during the 16th
        century. Quite a bit earlier, there was a BIG fad for Chinese
        stuff.

        >...but... ever seen one of those photos showin J-guys
        >wearing Euro overcoats and bowler hats?? Ick!!! (But then
        >most post-Edo Euro stuff is pretty pathetic anyhow.

        What is "pathetic" about wearing a bowler hat with Japanese
        clothing during the Edo period? It was the epitome of being
        modern at the time the Japanese were doing it. Look at it
        this way. There is currently a sushi fad of sorts in the
        United States. Several varieties of sushi have even been
        invented in North America. If the Meiji Japanese were
        pathetic, then American sushi eaters are probably at least
        as pathetic. I don't think so.

        | techie.com, msn.com |