eBay opinion

  • David
    Message 1 of 12 , May 17, 2006
      Can I get an opinion on this item?
      http://cgi.ebay.com/HYuan-boys-sexy-Japanese-classic-Warrior-kimono-615_W0QQitemZ6880890145QQcategoryZ11456QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

      My sewing machine died and I have half a hakama done and I need enough
      clothes to make it through Lilie's.
      I'm sending the machine off to be repaired and I am getting a loaner,
      it's just down to the time when I need to look at other options than
      just my two hands.

      David "Ookami" Mc.
      TIE Cadet
      IA Intern
      Bard apprentice
    • Otagiri Tatsuzou
      Message 2 of 12 , May 19, 2006
        > Can I get an opinion on this item?

        http://cgi.ebay.com/HYuan-boys-sexy-Japanese-classic-Warrior-kimono-615_W0QQitemZ6880890145QQcategoryZ11456QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

        My opinion: you might be able to do better.
        (translation: its hideous)

        For hakama, search ebay for hakama.
        Plain black martial arts hakama aren't great but they are okay for
        late period, just turn down the back panel when you wear it.

        You can find more ideas about ebay shopping for the SCA here:
        http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=ads&action=display&thread=1142497356

        Otagiri Tatsuzou
        Kenin of the Hatakeyama
      • David
        Message 3 of 12 , May 19, 2006
          Thank you, thank you, domo arigato.
          Yes, I often fing my sense of fashion hideous and I keep coming here
          to improve it. :)

          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Otagiri Tatsuzou" <ronbroberg@...> wrote:

          > > Can I get an opinion on this item?

          http://cgi.ebay.com/HYuan-boys-sexy-Japanese-classic-Warrior-kimono-615_W0QQitemZ6880890145QQcategoryZ11456QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

          > My opinion: you might be able to do better.
          > (translation: its hideous)
          >
          > For hakama, search ebay for hakama.
          > Plain black martial arts hakama aren't great but they are okay for
          > late period, just turn down the back panel when you wear it.
          >
          > You can find more ideas about ebay shopping for the SCA here:

          http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=ads&action=display&thread=1142497356

          > Otagiri Tatsuzou
          > Kenin of the Hatakeyama

        • aimee brooks
          Message 4 of 12 , May 23, 2006
            I took a look at that EBay store, love some of the historical chinese
            clothing there. I just wonder if anyone here has bought from there
            before and what they thought of it. I see some things I really like, but
            want to do a bit of homework before spending the money.
            -Hirokawa no Tsuru
          • La Tanya Taylor
            Message 5 of 12 , May 23, 2006
              I have been looking high and low for something on ebay (but I am not very
              good at it). Care to share the sellers you have found?

              -Affrika

              _____

              I took a look at that EBay store, love some of the historical chinese
              clothing there. I just wonder if anyone here has bought from there
              before and what they thought of it. I see some things I really like, but
              want to do a bit of homework before spending the money.
              -Hirokawa no Tsuru

              Credit
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Credit+history&w1=Credit+history&w2=Veh
              icle+history&w3=Vehicle+history+report&w4=Vehicle+history+search&w5=Vehicle+
              history+vin&w6=Vehicle+history+record&c=6&s=150&.sig=iRukDK7kg8ejA1c6EHoMOQ>
              history

              Vehicle
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Vehicle+history&w1=Credit+history&w2=Ve
              hicle+history&w3=Vehicle+history+report&w4=Vehicle+history+search&w5=Vehicle
              +history+vin&w6=Vehicle+history+record&c=6&s=150&.sig=XmagAQsSPfCfwdeKvoFI0Q
              > history

              Vehicle
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Vehicle+history+report&w1=Credit+histor
              y&w2=Vehicle+history&w3=Vehicle+history+report&w4=Vehicle+history+search&w5=
              Vehicle+history+vin&w6=Vehicle+history+record&c=6&s=150&.sig=CnvhLZuaiIc9YI4
              PK-UJ-Q> history report

              Vehicle
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Vehicle+history+search&w1=Credit+histor
              y&w2=Vehicle+history&w3=Vehicle+history+report&w4=Vehicle+history+search&w5=
              Vehicle+history+vin&w6=Vehicle+history+record&c=6&s=150&.sig=TnGd7Sky6q78NQ4
              U-0mXYg> history search

              Vehicle
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Vehicle+history+vin&w1=Credit+history&w
              2=Vehicle+history&w3=Vehicle+history+report&w4=Vehicle+history+search&w5=Veh
              icle+history+vin&w6=Vehicle+history+record&c=6&s=150&.sig=iG-aQFzKaWpJW4iPMw
              1MSA> history vin

              Vehicle
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Vehicle+history+record&w1=Credit+histor
              y&w2=Vehicle+history&w3=Vehicle+history+report&w4=Vehicle+history+search&w5=
              Vehicle+history+vin&w6=Vehicle+history+record&c=6&s=150&.sig=4ac-Ffrvv0Awnue
              l4CYzUg> history record

              _____

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              on the web.

              _____

              Message 6 of 12 , May 23, 2006
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "La Tanya Taylor" <latanya.taylor@...>
                wrote:

                > I have been looking high and low for something on ebay (but I am not
                very
                > good at it). Care to share the sellers you have found?

                Define "something" please.

                If you are looking for modern traditional kimono, there are a number
                of reputable sellers. However, it is MODERN. As in not period for the
                SCA's time frame.

              • La Tanya Taylor
                Message 7 of 12 , May 23, 2006
                  Period kimonos

                  Forgive me or not being specific

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 23, 2006

                    > Period kimonos

                    You are not likely to find period kimono. You might be able to find
                    kimono that can be modified to resemble Momoyama kosode and uchikake.

                    Some things to look at are sleeve lengths, sleeve shape, sleeve width
                    shoulder to hem length, material, and design.

                    For instance, a common 'being seen in style' look for upper class
                    women in the fifteenth and sixteenth century is to wear a mostly plain
                    juban and kosode and then wear a very colorful uchikake wrapped around
                    the waist.

                    http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/30.htm

                    But this demonstrates why to check out the sleeves. Most juban and
                    kimono you find on ebay will have the back of the sleeve open. You
                    will have to sew it closed. And most will hang free from the body. You
                    could open the side seam on the body and sew the sleeve to it.

                    But still ...

                    Subtle Juban:
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7767677000

                    White Patterned Kimono:
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7769509219

                    Splashy Uchikake:
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7769500770

                    Add an obi (a narrow belt about 3 inches wide (you could make several
                    from one 10$ 'maru obi') and a pair of tabi and you'll look marvelous!

                    This whole buy-it-on ebay thing is a more-or-less new idea I've been
                    advocating for those who would rather not sew. I would appreciate
                    input from those who have good grasp of Momoyama clothing on whether
                    this really is a feasible idea.

                    In Service
                    Otagiri Tatsuzou
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 24, 2006
                      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Otagiri Tatsuzou" <ronbroberg@...> wrote:

                      > This whole buy-it-on ebay thing is a more-or-less new idea I've been
                      > advocating for those who would rather not sew. I would appreciate
                      > input from those who have good grasp of Momoyama clothing on whether
                      > this really is a feasible idea.

                      One is still going to have to sew. The sleeves will be the wrong shape
                      and possibly the wrong length. (I'm a very average height of 5'6" and
                      I can't ever find vintage kimono with sleeves that actually reach my
                      wrists!) Unless the buyer is really petite, the garments will be the
                      wrong shape. Period kosode (there is no such thing as "kimono" prior
                      to the Meiji period when the word was coined) are constructed from
                      significantly wider fabric bolts than modern kimono, producing a much
                      looser, voluminous silhouette for women. If you look at the difference
                      between these two figures from the Costume Museum, you can see the
                      difference:

                      http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/30.htm
                      http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/kosode/47.htm

                      And that's not even getting into whether the decoration on the garment
                      is in period style or not.

                      It's slightly easier to get away with vintage wear for men - kosode
                      and hakama look enough like kimono and hakama - but again, the kimono
                      MUST be large enough to give the looser silhouette, and for earlier
                      periods, the koshi ita (back board) on hakama is inappropriate. Stay
                      away from kataginu with Joan Crawford shoulders.

                    • La Tanya Taylor
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 24, 2006
                        Thank you very much

                        _____

> [...]

                        Vehicle
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Vehicle+history+search&w1=Credit+histor
                        y&w2=Vehicle+history&w3=Vehicle+history+report&w4=Vehicle+history+search&w5=
                        Vehicle+history+vin&w6=Vehicle+history+record&c=6&s=150&.sig=TnGd7Sky6q78NQ4
                        U-0mXYg> history search

                        Vehicle
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Vehicle+history+vin&w1=Credit+history&w
                        2=Vehicle+history&w3=Vehicle+history+report&w4=Vehicle+history+search&w5=Veh
                        icle+history+vin&w6=Vehicle+history+record&c=6&s=150&.sig=iG-aQFzKaWpJW4iPMw
                        1MSA> history vin

                        Vehicle
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Vehicle+history+record&w1=Credit+histor
                        y&w2=Vehicle+history&w3=Vehicle+history+report&w4=Vehicle+history+search&w5=
                        Vehicle+history+vin&w6=Vehicle+history+record&c=6&s=150&.sig=4ac-Ffrvv0Awnue

                      • Jennifer Oaks
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 13, 2006

                          > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Otagiri Tatsuzou" <ronbroberg@>
                          wrote:

                          > > This whole buy-it-on ebay thing is a more-or-less new idea I've been
                          > > advocating for those who would rather not sew. I would appreciate
                          > > input from those who have good grasp of Momoyama clothing on whether
                          > > this really is a feasible idea.

                          My apologies if this goes through twice, the first time I tried to post
                          I got some sort of error message. Anyhow...
                          For those as mentioned above who would rather buy than sew, I stumbled
                          across a website, www.ichiroya.com, that sells uchikake, furisode,
                          yukata, and various other"kimono". Granted, those interested will have
                          to check out sleeve lengths and shapes, as some are obviously too short
                          and square. But there are several items that have longer and curved
                          sleeves that might work for Momoyama garb.

                          Kajiyama Shinobu
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 13, 2006
                            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jennifer Oaks" <onewringgold@...> wrote:

                            > For those as mentioned above who would rather buy than sew, I stumbled
                            > across a website, www.ichiroya.com, that sells uchikake, furisode,
                            > yukata, and various other"kimono". Granted, those interested will have
                            > to check out sleeve lengths and shapes, as some are obviously too short
                            > and square. But there are several items that have longer and curved
                            > sleeves that might work for Momoyama garb.

                            Furisode sleeves are innappropriate - they don't start turning up
                            until the late 17th century. See the sketch at this link for
                            proportions on a typical Momoyama kosode:
                            http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosodefrontsmall.jpg