Re: [SCA-JML] Lack of local Herald

  • sigrune@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 11, 2006
      "Ezequiel" <sekinakagawa@...> writes:

      >Noble one a note on herealds, I don't know about all kindoms, but at
      >least in Atlantia you do not need to submit through a local branch
      >herald, you can get directions fron the internet site.

      True, in Atlantia, while you do not have to submit through your local herald, you do have to submit through a warranted herald... Golden Dolphin will return the submission otherwise... The exception to this is if you have dispensation directly from Golden Dolphin, which seems to apply in your case. The website should reflect these current rules.

      The reason why I mentioned speaking with a local herald, is typically they are right there with you, know the details of what is in process in your kingdom, know the particular ins-and-outs, and can offer real time advice and guidance. Some kingdoms even require it.

      Some of us here are heralds and some of us are on our repsective kingdom and/or society comment lists, but it helps if you are local to us, since most of us post in the few idle minutes we have at work and don;t have our materials handy to do a proper consultation... (which is far easier in person)

      Hopefully I will be seeing your submission across the Atlantian ILOI soon. :)

      -Takeda
    • autumnriver
      Message 2 of 4 , May 11, 2006
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Ezequiel" <sekinakagawa@...> wrote:

        > Kombawa,
        > Noble one a note on herealds, I don't know about all kindoms, but at
        > least in Atlantia you do not need to submit through a local branch
        > herald, you can get directions fron the internet site.

        I second what Nakagawa-dono has said. You are not limited to working
        with your local herald. My very first heraldic entry went through a
        consulting table at Pennsic, and later, due to there not being a local
        group established where I live anymore, I dealt with either the
        kingdom herald or his regional deputy most of the time.

        The downside is, you do need to stay on top of your submission's
        progress yourself, and do a lot of your own research. A good local
        herald can be an excellent advocate for you if problems come up. It
        was very frustrating to have to hunt down people long-distance to
        explain to me exactly WHY and WHAT was the matter with my submissions.

        Ki no Torame
        Message 3 of 4 , May 11, 2006
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "autumnriver" <tace@...> wrote:

          > I second what Nakagawa-dono has said. You are not limited to working
          > with your local herald.

          I was utterly appalled when somebody came to me with name questions.
          When I asked if he'd gone to the consultation table, he told me that
          the kingdom people said to see me. I am not a herald. I have never
          BEEN a herald, and I am not all that well versed in Japanese naming
          practices or it wouldn't've taken me three years to pick a name for
          myself! Besides, the consultation table HAS the book, not me.

          Bloody Westerners.