Lack of local Herald

  • Ezequiel
    Message 1 of 4 , May 11, 2006
      Kombawa,
      Noble one a note on herealds, I don't know about all kindoms, but at
      least in Atlantia you do not need to submit through a local branch
      herald, you can get directions fron the internet site. I myself, have
      been around the SCA since 1992 and never submitted since I wanted to be
      sure that My name and device would be ones I can bear with Honor and be
      happy about it. I have been working with the Golden Dolphine of
      Atlantia (due to our loal herald being very busy) and now I am
      submitting my Kamon, the kingdom herald check the conflicts for my name
      and device and found no appearant conflicts (which is kind of apeacing).
      Hopefully before this year is over I will be able to bear the
      name "Nakagawa Sukeie" and "Sable, a potent cross within an annulet".
      It feel kind of dis honorable to go around local heralds, but you
      better believe that if you comunicate your intentions to them, they
      won't mind (kind of less work for them).
      I hope this help.

      Very respectfully,
      Nakagawa Sukeie (hopefully)

      "To ask a question may be a moments shame,
      But not to ask and remain ignarant, is a life long shame".
    • sigrune@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , May 11, 2006
        "Ezequiel" <sekinakagawa@...> writes:

        >Noble one a note on herealds, I don't know about all kindoms, but at
        >least in Atlantia you do not need to submit through a local branch
        >herald, you can get directions fron the internet site.

        True, in Atlantia, while you do not have to submit through your local herald, you do have to submit through a warranted herald... Golden Dolphin will return the submission otherwise... The exception to this is if you have dispensation directly from Golden Dolphin, which seems to apply in your case. The website should reflect these current rules.

        The reason why I mentioned speaking with a local herald, is typically they are right there with you, know the details of what is in process in your kingdom, know the particular ins-and-outs, and can offer real time advice and guidance. Some kingdoms even require it.

        Some of us here are heralds and some of us are on our repsective kingdom and/or society comment lists, but it helps if you are local to us, since most of us post in the few idle minutes we have at work and don;t have our materials handy to do a proper consultation... (which is far easier in person)

        Hopefully I will be seeing your submission across the Atlantian ILOI soon. :)

        -Takeda
      • autumnriver
        Message 3 of 4 , May 11, 2006
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Ezequiel" <sekinakagawa@...> wrote:

          > Kombawa,
          > Noble one a note on herealds, I don't know about all kindoms, but at
          > least in Atlantia you do not need to submit through a local branch
          > herald, you can get directions fron the internet site.

          I second what Nakagawa-dono has said. You are not limited to working
          with your local herald. My very first heraldic entry went through a
          consulting table at Pennsic, and later, due to there not being a local
          group established where I live anymore, I dealt with either the
          kingdom herald or his regional deputy most of the time.

          The downside is, you do need to stay on top of your submission's
          progress yourself, and do a lot of your own research. A good local
          herald can be an excellent advocate for you if problems come up. It
          was very frustrating to have to hunt down people long-distance to
          explain to me exactly WHY and WHAT was the matter with my submissions.

          Ki no Torame
          Message 4 of 4 , May 11, 2006
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "autumnriver" <tace@...> wrote:

            > I second what Nakagawa-dono has said. You are not limited to working
            > with your local herald.

            I was utterly appalled when somebody came to me with name questions.
            When I asked if he'd gone to the consultation table, he told me that
            the kingdom people said to see me. I am not a herald. I have never
            BEEN a herald, and I am not all that well versed in Japanese naming
            practices or it wouldn't've taken me three years to pick a name for
            myself! Besides, the consultation table HAS the book, not me.

            Bloody Westerners.