Kamon - Comparing the two designs!

    Message 1 of 23 , May 10 3:43 PM

      Greetings from Solveig! The three triangles is the better design of the
      two and is quite ancient and dates to the early Kamakukra period. The
      other choice with the mountain does not show up in Daibukan prior to
      1600 and is most likely an early modern design. Consequently, I do hope
      that the three triangle motif is selected.

    • Susan Campbell
      Message 2 of 23 , May 10 4:32 PM
        You can search the blazon (the heraldic language) at http://oanda.sca.org/ordinary/index.html

        I haven't found any place that all the arms are available in line drawing form. If you know/find one let me know.

        For Atlantia you can review the herald letters which will get you what has passed in Kingdom and is heading to Society. Other Kingdoms may as well. In Atlantia that address is:

        http://herald.atlantia.sca.org/submissions/index.htm

        YIS,

        Mori Matsunomae

      • Otagiri Tatsuzou
        Message 3 of 23 , May 10 5:03 PM
          > > The Fukugawa crest is a three pointed mountain (volcano minus top?)
          > > with three lines that make a zed shape at its bottom (definately a
          > > river).
          >
          > No problem here either.

          Would this conflict with the following badge registered to the Ishiyama?
          (Dark) A mountain of three peaks issuant from base, the
          peaks in bend, and in chief a barrulet beviled arrondi, all within an
          annulet.

          http://oanda.sca.org/cgi-bin/oanda_name.cgi?p=Takaguma%20Ishiyama%20no%20Sadomoni%20Bashi

          Otagiri Tatsuzou
          Kenin of the Hatakeyama
        • Horatius at the Bridge
          Message 4 of 23 , May 10 5:35 PM
            Ok, two quick ones while we're on the topic.

            1. When registering a mon, does it make a difference if the annulet is
            round, square or hexagonal? Or does the word annulet describe only one
            particular shape?

            2. If the mon being registered bears an unitentional resemblance to a now
            (presumably) defunct company can it still be registered? [I discovered that
            something similar to the device I"m trying to get registered was used by a
            film company in the early 60s. I can see at least 4 points of difference,
            but this concerns me nonetheless.]

            Thank you for your time.

            "History doesn't always repeat itself. Sometimes it just screams, 'Why don't
            you listen to me?' and lets fly with a big stick." --John W. Campbell Jr
          • chris hansen
            Message 5 of 23 , May 11 7:43 AM
              Clan Ishiyama in what was the princapality, now kindom of the Outlands has not been particularily active (may no longer exist) since the death of Sir Tadashi some years ago. You may want to get on the Outlands or Barony of al Barran list to see if you can contact any remaining members.

              Otagiri Tatsuzou <ronbroberg@...> wrote:
              > > The Fukugawa crest is a three pointed mountain (volcano minus top?)
              > > with three lines that make a zed shape at its bottom (definately a
              > > river).
              >
              > No problem here either.

              Would this conflict with the following badge registered to the Ishiyama?
              (Dark) A mountain of three peaks issuant from base, the
              peaks in bend, and in chief a barrulet beviled arrondi, all within an
              annulet.

              http://oanda.sca.org/cgi-bin/oanda_name.cgi?p=Takaguma%20Ishiyama%20no%20Sadomoni%20Bashi

              Otagiri Tatsuzou
              Kenin of the Hatakeyama

              ---------------------------------

            • Michael Nakashima
              Message 6 of 23 , May 11 7:56 AM
                > Would this conflict with the following badge registered to the Ishiyama?
                > (Dark) A mountain of three peaks issuant from base, the
                > peaks in bend, and in chief a barrulet beviled arrondi, all within an
                > annulet.

                http://oanda.sca.org/cgi-bin/oanda_name.cgi?p=Takaguma%20Ishiyama%20no%20Sadomoni%20Bashi

                > Otagiri Tatsuzou
                > Kenin of the Hatakeyama

                Well...that sounds kinda like what I'm going for...but I'm not too
                sure what the "in chief a barrulet beviled arrondi" looks like.
                However, I'm wanting to register the mon as a device, so mayhap that
                would make a difference...

                Thanks for the info!

                Hideyoshi
                Message 7 of 23 , May 11 6:00 PM

                  > I haven't found any place that all the arms are available in line
                  > drawing form. If you know/find one let me know.

                  It does not exist yet. The College of Arms has a long-term scanning
                  project. If you live nearby to where its going on, I'm confident that
                  they will accept your help.

                  Message 8 of 23 , May 11 6:03 PM

                    > Would this conflict with the following badge registered to the
                    > Ishiyama?
                    > (Dark) A mountain of three peaks issuant from base, the
                    > peaks in bend, and in chief a barrulet beviled arrondi, all within an
                    > annulet.
                    >
                    > http://oanda.sca.org/cgi-bin/oanda_name.cgi?
                    > p=Takaguma%20Ishiyama%20no%20Sadomoni%20Bashi
                    No, it should not conflict.

                    However, I really hope that they go for the three triangles arranged in
                    a triangle.

                    Message 9 of 23 , May 11 6:07 PM

                      > 1. When registering a mon, does it make a difference if the annulet is
                      > round, square or hexagonal? Or does the word annulet describe only one
                      > particular shape?

                      Maybe yes, maybe no. It depends on exactly what you are doing and how
                      the CoA decides to treat it. If the annulet goes all the way to the
                      edge, then it becomes a border and all borders of the same tincture are
                      equivalent. Incidentally, while there are a few examples of annulets in
                      pre-1600 kamon, they are not particularly popular until after 1600.
                      Basically, it is usually better style NOT to have an annulet.

                      > 2. If the mon being registered bears an unitentional resemblance to a
                      > now
                      > (presumably) defunct company can it still be registered? [I discovered
                      > that
                      > something similar to the device I"m trying to get registered was used
                      > by a
                      > film company in the early 60s. I can see at least 4 points of
                      > difference,
                      > but this concerns me nonetheless.]

                      The College of Arms does not currently compare things to trademarks.
                      Your only problem might be obtrusive modernity.

                    • Horatius at the Bridge
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 11 7:42 PM
                        THank you very much for the information.

                        "History doesn't always repeat itself. Sometimes it just screams, 'Why don't
                        you listen to me?' and lets fly with a big stick." --John W. Campbell Jr

                        >From: Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...>
                        >To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
                        >Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] On the registering of Mon quick questions
                        >Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 21:07:15 -0400
                        >
                        >Noble Cousin!
                        >
                        >Greetings from Solveig!
                        >
                        > > 1. When registering a mon, does it make a difference if the annulet is
                        > > round, square or hexagonal? Or does the word annulet describe only one
                        > > particular shape?
                        >
                        >Maybe yes, maybe no. It depends on exactly what you are doing and how
                        >the CoA decides to treat it. If the annulet goes all the way to the
                        >edge, then it becomes a border and all borders of the same tincture are
                        >equivalent. Incidentally, while there are a few examples of annulets in
                        >pre-1600 kamon, they are not particularly popular until after 1600.
                        >Basically, it is usually better style NOT to have an annulet.
                        >
                        > > 2. If the mon being registered bears an unitentional resemblance to a
                        > > now
                        > > (presumably) defunct company can it still be registered? [I discovered
                        > > that
                        > > something similar to the device I"m trying to get registered was used
                        > > by a
                        > > film company in the early 60s. I can see at least 4 points of
                        > > difference,
                        > > but this concerns me nonetheless.]
                        >
                        >The College of Arms does not currently compare things to trademarks.
                        >Your only problem might be obtrusive modernity.
                        >
                        > Your Humble Servant
                        > Solveig Throndardottir
                        > Amateur Scholar

                        >| Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM, CoS, Fleur |
                        >| deMoivre Institute | Carolingia Statis Mentis Est |
                        >| mailto:nostrand@... | mailto:Solveig@... |

                      • Rei Shounagon
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 14 11:46 PM
                          Konnichiwa, minna-sama!

                          > Noble Cousin!
                          >
                          > Greetings from Solveig!
                          >
                          > > 1. When registering a mon, does it make a
                          > difference if the annulet is
                          > > round, square or hexagonal? Or does the word
                          > annulet describe only one
                          > > particular shape?
                          >
                          > Maybe yes, maybe no. It depends on exactly what you
                          > are doing and how
                          > the CoA decides to treat it. If the annulet goes all
                          > the way to the
                          > edge, then it becomes a border and all borders of
                          > the same tincture are
                          > equivalent. Incidentally, while there are a few
                          > examples of annulets in
                          > pre-1600 kamon, they are not particularly popular
                          > until after 1600.
                          > Basically, it is usually better style NOT to have an
                          > annulet.

                          It seems confusing to this one to use the word
                          'annulet' to describe all sorts of encircling shapes,
                          since the word 'annulet' is used in nanban heraldry to
                          mean a ring shape.

                          > > 2. If the mon being registered bears an
                          > unitentional resemblance to a
                          > > now
                          > > (presumably) defunct company can it still be
                          > registered? [I discovered
                          > > that
                          > > something similar to the device I"m trying to get
                          > registered was used
                          > > by a
                          > > film company in the early 60s. I can see at least
                          > 4 points of
                          > > difference,
                          > > but this concerns me nonetheless.]
                          >
                          > The College of Arms does not currently compare
                          > things to trademarks.
                          > Your only problem might be obtrusive modernity.

                          Unless it is a particularly well known trademark, you
                          have no need to worry on that score.

                          Rei

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 15 8:17 AM

                            > It seems confusing to this one to use the word
                            > 'annulet' to describe all sorts of encircling shapes,
                            > since the word 'annulet' is used in nanban heraldry to
                            > mean a ring shape.

                            Ring like things that encircle a charge group are called "wa" in
                            Japanese heraldry. The problem is how the thing gets expressed in the
                            Anglo-Norman hearldry of the College of Arms. One way to do it is as an
                            annulet and the other is as a border. If you are thinking of the Tohei
                            (I think it was) logo which has a triangle on the bottom and three
                            rings arching above it, then you are thinking of a design approach
                            which is not, to the best of my recollection, seen in Japan prior to
                            the seventeenth century. In short, if that is what you are thinking of
                            doing, then please think of something else.

                          • Horatius at the Bridge
                            Message 13 of 23 , May 15 5:39 PM
                              Actually, it isn't the old Tohei logo, at least the name Tohei dosen't sound
                              familiar from the description. Although, it is a fairly interesting one that
                              I wouldn't mind using for myself. I'm not sure of the company's name at the
                              moment. The gentleman I'm helping isn't here right now. But the logo is a
                              circle with a triangular section at the base and some kanji at the top. He
                              means to modify it by removing the kanji and inserting an additional circle
                              in the center, and then adding either a circle or hexagon around the whole
                              thing.

                              I have no idea about the original version's owner. Hopefully I"ve described
                              it well enough for an enlightened opinion.

                              Message 14 of 23 , May 16 2:48 PM

                                > But the logo is a circle with a triangular section at the base and
                                > some kanji at the top. He
                                > means to modify it by removing the kanji and inserting an additional
                                > circle in the center,
                                > and then adding either a circle or hexagon around the whole thing.

                                With all due respect, BARF! The result sound hideous and definitely
                                un-Japanese. Why not go for something nice and Japanese like:

                                Two dragon flies respectant <tincture>
                                A well frame <tincture>
                                A losenge <tincture>
                                Nine besants 3x3
                                A besant surrounded by eight besants
                                A rabbit afronty <tincture>
                                Within a well frame a tachibana blossom <tincture>
                                Three tortoise scales <tincture>

                                ????

                                No anullae or other froo-froo is necessary.

                              • Horatius at the Bridge
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 16 5:40 PM
                                  What I find acceptable for a mon and what he wants to try to register are
                                  two different things. I went with a map symbol for my mon. He wants to be
                                  intricate. And yes, to me its very un-japanese. I just advise and build. I
                                  try not to make judgements. I couldnt' even convince him to adapt something
                                  from the Matsudaira (sp?) Piece-Goods book. One that he was lookingat came
                                  from an Usagi Yojimbo comic book.

                                  Incidentally, since my linguistic skills seem to be lacking, Whats a basant?

                                  "History doesn't always repeat itself. Sometimes it just screams, 'Why don't
                                  you listen to me?' and lets fly with a big stick." --John W. Campbell Jr

                                  >From: Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...>
                                  >To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
                                  >Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] On the registering of Mon quick questions
                                  >Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 17:48:11 -0400
                                  >
                                  >Noble Cousin!
                                  >
                                  >Greetings from Solveig!
                                  >
                                  > > But the logo is a circle with a triangular section at the base and
                                  > > some kanji at the top. He
                                  > > means to modify it by removing the kanji and inserting an additional
                                  > > circle in the center,
                                  > > and then adding either a circle or hexagon around the whole thing.
                                  >
                                  >With all due respect, BARF! The result sound hideous and definitely
                                  >un-Japanese. Why not go for something nice and Japanese like:
                                  >
                                  > Two dragon flies respectant <tincture>
                                  > A well frame <tincture>
                                  > A losenge <tincture>
                                  > Nine besants 3x3
                                  > A besant surrounded by eight besants
                                  > A rabbit afronty <tincture>
                                  > Within a well frame a tachibana blossom <tincture>
                                  > Three tortoise scales <tincture>
                                  >
                                  >????
                                  >
                                  >No anullae or other froo-froo is necessary.
                                  >
                                  > Your Humble Servant
                                  > Solveig Throndardottir
                                  > Amateur Scholar

                                  >| Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM, CoS, Fleur |
                                  >| deMoivre Institute | Carolingia Statis Mentis Est |
                                  >| mailto:nostrand@... | mailto:Solveig@... |

                                • Elaine Koogler
                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 16 5:57 PM
                                    Horatius at the Bridge wrote:
                                    > What I find acceptable for a mon and what he wants to try to register are
                                    > two different things. I went with a map symbol for my mon. He wants to be
                                    > intricate. And yes, to me its very un-japanese. I just advise and
                                    > build. I
                                    > try not to make judgements. I couldnt' even convince him to adapt
                                    > something
                                    > from the Matsudaira (sp?) Piece-Goods book. One that he was lookingat
                                    > came
                                    > from an Usagi Yojimbo comic book.
                                    >
                                    > Incidentally, since my linguistic skills seem to be lacking, Whats a
                                    > basant?

                                    It's actually a bezant, and it's a disc that's colored gold or yellow.

                                    Kiri
                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 16 7:07 PM

                                      Greetings from Solveig! Sounds like your client is smitten with
                                      Victorian English heraldry. Why not gently ask him whether he wants to
                                      have something Japanese or not? I know, you have probably already tried
                                      this. He can of course try to put through Victorian English heraldry,
                                      but it just isn't Japanese. You should also gently ask him to not tell
                                      people that it is authentic if he insists upon something which is not
                                      remotely authentic. As the College of Arms says, "You asked for it!
                                      You've Got It! Toyota!" Just don't try to tell people that your Toyota
                                      is a Rolls Royce or a Stuts Bearcat.

                                    • Horatius at the Bridge
                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 16 8:48 PM
                                        Personally, I always thought the Beacat was kinda cool. But thats me.
                                        Victorian English? I'll look into that. But I think he wants japanese
                                        because he enamored with the armor and the general appearance of all things
                                        japanese.Or maybe its just the mystique.

                                        Oh well. Onward and upward. Thank you everyone for your advice. Hoefully I
                                        can avert a crisis before it fully begins.