Re: [SCA-JML] On the registering of Mon

  • sigrune@aol.com
    Message 1 of 23 , May 10, 2006
      "Michael Nakashima" <zatumushgir@...> writes:

      >I was wondering how one should go about registering a specific mon.
      >Also, how many degrees of variance does one need from the original mon?

      There are only two historical "mon" that are registered in the SCA,
      Aside from these, and instances of preseumption, just about every other mon is safe, unless it is registered already by another person.

      >The two candidates for mon that I like are the crests for the Kumamoto
      >Clan and the Fukugawa family.  Unfortunately, I am not at all sure if
      >either will be passable, and I'm also not at all sure how to describe
      >them in heraldic terms.

      I would advise you to get with your group or regional heralds to go over the specifics of conflict checking and details of the registration process, each kingdom has their own way of doing it.

      >The Kumamoto crest is three equlateral triangles that make up another
      >equlateral triangle (*sigh* To video game fans, a Triforce [I really
      >wish I had a better description]), all inside a circle.

      If I am not mistaken the (ahem) "Tri-Force" is already registered or is in process.

      >The Fukugawa crest is a three pointed mountain (volcano minus top?)
      >with three lines that make a zed shape at its bottom (definately a
      >river).

      There are a few multi point mountains already, best bet is to have a local herald do conflict checking first.

      I do not know if it has been said before, but the best use of the SCA-JML list concerning herladry is when your have already been with a local herald and the herald tells you that you need documentation and/or evidence that something was used historically.

      -Takeda
    • Annette
      Message 2 of 23 , May 10, 2006
        I wish there was a place in the SCA websight to check for Mon being registared and is registered.

        sigrune@... wrote: "Michael Nakashima" <zatumushgir@...> writes:

        >I was wondering how one should go about registering a specific mon.
        >Also, how many degrees of variance does one need from the original mon?

        There are only two historical "mon" that are registered in the SCA,
        Aside from these, and instances of preseumption, just about every other mon is safe, unless it is registered already by another person.

        >The two candidates for mon that I like are the crests for the Kumamoto
        >Clan and the Fukugawa family. Unfortunately, I am not at all sure if
        >either will be passable, and I'm also not at all sure how to describe
        >them in heraldic terms.

        I would advise you to get with your group or regional heralds to go over the specifics of conflict checking and details of the registration process, each kingdom has their own way of doing it.

        >The Kumamoto crest is three equlateral triangles that make up another
        >equlateral triangle (*sigh* To video game fans, a Triforce [I really
        >wish I had a better description]), all inside a circle.

        If I am not mistaken the (ahem) "Tri-Force" is already registered or is in process.

        >The Fukugawa crest is a three pointed mountain (volcano minus top?)
        >with three lines that make a zed shape at its bottom (definately a
        >river).

        There are a few multi point mountains already, best bet is to have a local herald do conflict checking first.

        I do not know if it has been said before, but the best use of the SCA-JML list concerning herladry is when your have already been with a local herald and the herald tells you that you need documentation and/or evidence that something was used historically.

        -Takeda

        ---------------------------------

        Jane and Paul

        And I Love Her...

        Message 3 of 23 , May 10, 2006

          > I was wondering how one should go about registering a specific mon.
          > Also, how many degrees of variance does one need from the original mon?

          The first decision you have to make when registering kamon is whether
          you want to register the thing as arms or as a badge. There are
          advantages and disadvantages to both options.

          1) With a badge you get to register something without a background and
          you get one point (out of two needed points) of difference for the
          background. However, the College of Arms thinks that the badge itself
          must be connected.

          2) With arms you don't have to have the the thing be connected, but you
          have to have a background.

          So it is is really a big BLEH! The College of Arms does not really
          service kamon all that well. What you can do is think of what you want
          your banner to look like and register that as your arms and try to
          figure out how to register the charge or charge group on the banner as
          a badge.

          > The two candidates for mon that I like are the crests for the Kumamoto
          > Clan and the Fukugawa family. Unfortunately, I am not at all sure if
          > either will be passable, and I'm also not at all sure how to describe
          > them in heraldic terms.

          The College of Arms does not compare submissions to either of these.
          Except for whatever feelings of politeness you might have, they are
          both fair game. Further, unrelated Japanese families frequently have
          the same kamon. So you will not be offending any Japanese unless you
          assume the Golden Sixteen Petal Chrysanthemum (a big no no in Japan you
          can get hauled off to jail) or another somewhat more complicated design
          which is associated with the government.

          > The Kumamoto crest is three equlateral triangles that make up another
          > equlateral triangle (*sigh* To video game fans, a Triforce [I really
          > wish I had a better description]), all inside a circle.

          No problem. You just have to worry about "difference" with already
          registered SCA armory.

          > The Fukugawa crest is a three pointed mountain (volcano minus top?)
          > with three lines that make a zed shape at its bottom (definately a
          > river).

          No problem here either.

          Message 4 of 23 , May 10, 2006

            >> The Kumamoto crest is three equlateral triangles that make up another
            >> equlateral triangle (*sigh* To video game fans, a Triforce [I really
            >> wish I had a better description]), all inside a circle.
            >
            > If I am not mistaken the (ahem) "Tri-Force" is already registered or
            > is in process.

            There should be no problem as all he has to do is pick a different
            colour for his three triangles than the one picked by the the
            submission going through the registration process. He gets one point
            for background and one point for the colour difference. Kaching! It
            passes! The only problem is that some nitwit might want to call it
            "offensive modernity" or some such thing. The actual design is
            demonstrably historical, so it should go through regardless.

            Message 5 of 23 , May 10, 2006

              Greetings from Solveig! The three triangles is the better design of the
              two and is quite ancient and dates to the early Kamakukra period. The
              other choice with the mountain does not show up in Daibukan prior to
              1600 and is most likely an early modern design. Consequently, I do hope
              that the three triangle motif is selected.

            • Susan Campbell
              Message 6 of 23 , May 10, 2006
                You can search the blazon (the heraldic language) at http://oanda.sca.org/ordinary/index.html

                I haven't found any place that all the arms are available in line drawing form. If you know/find one let me know.

                For Atlantia you can review the herald letters which will get you what has passed in Kingdom and is heading to Society. Other Kingdoms may as well. In Atlantia that address is:

                http://herald.atlantia.sca.org/submissions/index.htm

                YIS,

                Mori Matsunomae

              • Otagiri Tatsuzou
                Message 7 of 23 , May 10, 2006
                  > > The Fukugawa crest is a three pointed mountain (volcano minus top?)
                  > > with three lines that make a zed shape at its bottom (definately a
                  > > river).
                  >
                  > No problem here either.

                  Would this conflict with the following badge registered to the Ishiyama?
                  (Dark) A mountain of three peaks issuant from base, the
                  peaks in bend, and in chief a barrulet beviled arrondi, all within an
                  annulet.

                  http://oanda.sca.org/cgi-bin/oanda_name.cgi?p=Takaguma%20Ishiyama%20no%20Sadomoni%20Bashi

                  Otagiri Tatsuzou
                  Kenin of the Hatakeyama
                • Horatius at the Bridge
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 10, 2006
                    Ok, two quick ones while we're on the topic.

                    1. When registering a mon, does it make a difference if the annulet is
                    round, square or hexagonal? Or does the word annulet describe only one
                    particular shape?

                    2. If the mon being registered bears an unitentional resemblance to a now
                    (presumably) defunct company can it still be registered? [I discovered that
                    something similar to the device I"m trying to get registered was used by a
                    film company in the early 60s. I can see at least 4 points of difference,
                    but this concerns me nonetheless.]

                    Thank you for your time.

                    "History doesn't always repeat itself. Sometimes it just screams, 'Why don't
                    you listen to me?' and lets fly with a big stick." --John W. Campbell Jr
                  • chris hansen
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 11, 2006
                      Clan Ishiyama in what was the princapality, now kindom of the Outlands has not been particularily active (may no longer exist) since the death of Sir Tadashi some years ago. You may want to get on the Outlands or Barony of al Barran list to see if you can contact any remaining members.

                      Message 10 of 23 , May 11, 2006
                        > Would this conflict with the following badge registered to the Ishiyama?
                        > (Dark) A mountain of three peaks issuant from base, the
                        > peaks in bend, and in chief a barrulet beviled arrondi, all within an
                        > annulet.

                        http://oanda.sca.org/cgi-bin/oanda_name.cgi?p=Takaguma%20Ishiyama%20no%20Sadomoni%20Bashi

                        > Otagiri Tatsuzou
                        > Kenin of the Hatakeyama

                        Well...that sounds kinda like what I'm going for...but I'm not too
                        sure what the "in chief a barrulet beviled arrondi" looks like.
                        However, I'm wanting to register the mon as a device, so mayhap that
                        would make a difference...

                        Thanks for the info!

                        Hideyoshi
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 11, 2006

                          > I haven't found any place that all the arms are available in line
                          > drawing form. If you know/find one let me know.

                          It does not exist yet. The College of Arms has a long-term scanning
                          project. If you live nearby to where its going on, I'm confident that
                          they will accept your help.

                          Message 12 of 23 , May 11, 2006

                            > Would this conflict with the following badge registered to the
                            > Ishiyama?
                            > (Dark) A mountain of three peaks issuant from base, the
                            > peaks in bend, and in chief a barrulet beviled arrondi, all within an
                            > annulet.
                            >
                            > http://oanda.sca.org/cgi-bin/oanda_name.cgi?
                            > p=Takaguma%20Ishiyama%20no%20Sadomoni%20Bashi
                            No, it should not conflict.

                            However, I really hope that they go for the three triangles arranged in
                            a triangle.

                            Message 13 of 23 , May 11, 2006

                              > 1. When registering a mon, does it make a difference if the annulet is
                              > round, square or hexagonal? Or does the word annulet describe only one
                              > particular shape?

                              Maybe yes, maybe no. It depends on exactly what you are doing and how
                              the CoA decides to treat it. If the annulet goes all the way to the
                              edge, then it becomes a border and all borders of the same tincture are
                              equivalent. Incidentally, while there are a few examples of annulets in
                              pre-1600 kamon, they are not particularly popular until after 1600.
                              Basically, it is usually better style NOT to have an annulet.

                              > 2. If the mon being registered bears an unitentional resemblance to a
                              > now
                              > (presumably) defunct company can it still be registered? [I discovered
                              > that
                              > something similar to the device I"m trying to get registered was used
                              > by a
                              > film company in the early 60s. I can see at least 4 points of
                              > difference,
                              > but this concerns me nonetheless.]

                              The College of Arms does not currently compare things to trademarks.
                              Your only problem might be obtrusive modernity.

                            • Horatius at the Bridge
                              Message 14 of 23 , May 11, 2006
                                THank you very much for the information.

                                "History doesn't always repeat itself. Sometimes it just screams, 'Why don't
                                you listen to me?' and lets fly with a big stick." --John W. Campbell Jr

                                >From: Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...>
                                >To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
                                >Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] On the registering of Mon quick questions
                                >Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 21:07:15 -0400
                                >
                                >Noble Cousin!
                                >
                                >Greetings from Solveig!
                                >
                                > > 1. When registering a mon, does it make a difference if the annulet is
                                > > round, square or hexagonal? Or does the word annulet describe only one
                                > > particular shape?
                                >
                                >Maybe yes, maybe no. It depends on exactly what you are doing and how
                                >the CoA decides to treat it. If the annulet goes all the way to the
                                >edge, then it becomes a border and all borders of the same tincture are
                                >equivalent. Incidentally, while there are a few examples of annulets in
                                >pre-1600 kamon, they are not particularly popular until after 1600.
                                >Basically, it is usually better style NOT to have an annulet.
                                >
                                > > 2. If the mon being registered bears an unitentional resemblance to a
                                > > now
                                > > (presumably) defunct company can it still be registered? [I discovered
                                > > that
                                > > something similar to the device I"m trying to get registered was used
                                > > by a
                                > > film company in the early 60s. I can see at least 4 points of
                                > > difference,
                                > > but this concerns me nonetheless.]
                                >
                                >The College of Arms does not currently compare things to trademarks.
                                >Your only problem might be obtrusive modernity.
                                >
                                > Your Humble Servant
                                > Solveig Throndardottir
                                > Amateur Scholar

                                >| Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM, CoS, Fleur |
                                >| deMoivre Institute | Carolingia Statis Mentis Est |
                                >| mailto:nostrand@... | mailto:Solveig@... |

                              • Rei Shounagon
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 14, 2006
                                  Konnichiwa, minna-sama!

                                  > Noble Cousin!
                                  >
                                  > Greetings from Solveig!
                                  >
                                  > > 1. When registering a mon, does it make a
                                  > difference if the annulet is
                                  > > round, square or hexagonal? Or does the word
                                  > annulet describe only one
                                  > > particular shape?
                                  >
                                  > Maybe yes, maybe no. It depends on exactly what you
                                  > are doing and how
                                  > the CoA decides to treat it. If the annulet goes all
                                  > the way to the
                                  > edge, then it becomes a border and all borders of
                                  > the same tincture are
                                  > equivalent. Incidentally, while there are a few
                                  > examples of annulets in
                                  > pre-1600 kamon, they are not particularly popular
                                  > until after 1600.
                                  > Basically, it is usually better style NOT to have an
                                  > annulet.

                                  It seems confusing to this one to use the word
                                  'annulet' to describe all sorts of encircling shapes,
                                  since the word 'annulet' is used in nanban heraldry to
                                  mean a ring shape.

                                  > > 2. If the mon being registered bears an
                                  > unitentional resemblance to a
                                  > > now
                                  > > (presumably) defunct company can it still be
                                  > registered? [I discovered
                                  > > that
                                  > > something similar to the device I"m trying to get
                                  > registered was used
                                  > > by a
                                  > > film company in the early 60s. I can see at least
                                  > 4 points of
                                  > > difference,
                                  > > but this concerns me nonetheless.]
                                  >
                                  > The College of Arms does not currently compare
                                  > things to trademarks.
                                  > Your only problem might be obtrusive modernity.

                                  Unless it is a particularly well known trademark, you
                                  have no need to worry on that score.

                                  Rei

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 15, 2006

                                    > It seems confusing to this one to use the word
                                    > 'annulet' to describe all sorts of encircling shapes,
                                    > since the word 'annulet' is used in nanban heraldry to
                                    > mean a ring shape.

                                    Ring like things that encircle a charge group are called "wa" in
                                    Japanese heraldry. The problem is how the thing gets expressed in the
                                    Anglo-Norman hearldry of the College of Arms. One way to do it is as an
                                    annulet and the other is as a border. If you are thinking of the Tohei
                                    (I think it was) logo which has a triangle on the bottom and three
                                    rings arching above it, then you are thinking of a design approach
                                    which is not, to the best of my recollection, seen in Japan prior to
                                    the seventeenth century. In short, if that is what you are thinking of
                                    doing, then please think of something else.

                                  • Horatius at the Bridge
                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 15, 2006
                                      Actually, it isn't the old Tohei logo, at least the name Tohei dosen't sound
                                      familiar from the description. Although, it is a fairly interesting one that
                                      I wouldn't mind using for myself. I'm not sure of the company's name at the
                                      moment. The gentleman I'm helping isn't here right now. But the logo is a
                                      circle with a triangular section at the base and some kanji at the top. He
                                      means to modify it by removing the kanji and inserting an additional circle
                                      in the center, and then adding either a circle or hexagon around the whole
                                      thing.

                                      I have no idea about the original version's owner. Hopefully I"ve described
                                      it well enough for an enlightened opinion.

                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 16, 2006

                                        > But the logo is a circle with a triangular section at the base and
                                        > some kanji at the top. He
                                        > means to modify it by removing the kanji and inserting an additional
                                        > circle in the center,
                                        > and then adding either a circle or hexagon around the whole thing.

                                        With all due respect, BARF! The result sound hideous and definitely
                                        un-Japanese. Why not go for something nice and Japanese like:

                                        Two dragon flies respectant <tincture>
                                        A well frame <tincture>
                                        A losenge <tincture>
                                        Nine besants 3x3
                                        A besant surrounded by eight besants
                                        A rabbit afronty <tincture>
                                        Within a well frame a tachibana blossom <tincture>
                                        Three tortoise scales <tincture>

                                        ????

                                        No anullae or other froo-froo is necessary.

                                      • Horatius at the Bridge
                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 16, 2006
                                          What I find acceptable for a mon and what he wants to try to register are
                                          two different things. I went with a map symbol for my mon. He wants to be
                                          intricate. And yes, to me its very un-japanese. I just advise and build. I
                                          try not to make judgements. I couldnt' even convince him to adapt something
                                          from the Matsudaira (sp?) Piece-Goods book. One that he was lookingat came
                                          from an Usagi Yojimbo comic book.

                                          Incidentally, since my linguistic skills seem to be lacking, Whats a basant?

                                          "History doesn't always repeat itself. Sometimes it just screams, 'Why don't
                                          you listen to me?' and lets fly with a big stick." --John W. Campbell Jr

                                          >From: Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...>
                                          >To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
                                          >Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] On the registering of Mon quick questions
                                          >Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 17:48:11 -0400
                                          >
                                          >Noble Cousin!
                                          >
                                          >Greetings from Solveig!
                                          >
                                          > > But the logo is a circle with a triangular section at the base and
                                          > > some kanji at the top. He
                                          > > means to modify it by removing the kanji and inserting an additional
                                          > > circle in the center,
                                          > > and then adding either a circle or hexagon around the whole thing.
                                          >
                                          >With all due respect, BARF! The result sound hideous and definitely
                                          >un-Japanese. Why not go for something nice and Japanese like:
                                          >
                                          > Two dragon flies respectant <tincture>
                                          > A well frame <tincture>
                                          > A losenge <tincture>
                                          > Nine besants 3x3
                                          > A besant surrounded by eight besants
                                          > A rabbit afronty <tincture>
                                          > Within a well frame a tachibana blossom <tincture>
                                          > Three tortoise scales <tincture>
                                          >
                                          >????
                                          >
                                          >No anullae or other froo-froo is necessary.
                                          >
                                          > Your Humble Servant
                                          > Solveig Throndardottir
                                          > Amateur Scholar

                                          >| Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM, CoS, Fleur |
                                          >| deMoivre Institute | Carolingia Statis Mentis Est |
                                          >| mailto:nostrand@... | mailto:Solveig@... |

                                        • Elaine Koogler
                                          Message 20 of 23 , May 16, 2006
                                            Horatius at the Bridge wrote:
                                            > What I find acceptable for a mon and what he wants to try to register are
                                            > two different things. I went with a map symbol for my mon. He wants to be
                                            > intricate. And yes, to me its very un-japanese. I just advise and
                                            > build. I
                                            > try not to make judgements. I couldnt' even convince him to adapt
                                            > something
                                            > from the Matsudaira (sp?) Piece-Goods book. One that he was lookingat
                                            > came
                                            > from an Usagi Yojimbo comic book.
                                            >
                                            > Incidentally, since my linguistic skills seem to be lacking, Whats a
                                            > basant?

                                            It's actually a bezant, and it's a disc that's colored gold or yellow.

                                            Kiri
                                            Message 21 of 23 , May 16, 2006

                                              Greetings from Solveig! Sounds like your client is smitten with
                                              Victorian English heraldry. Why not gently ask him whether he wants to
                                              have something Japanese or not? I know, you have probably already tried
                                              this. He can of course try to put through Victorian English heraldry,
                                              but it just isn't Japanese. You should also gently ask him to not tell
                                              people that it is authentic if he insists upon something which is not
                                              remotely authentic. As the College of Arms says, "You asked for it!
                                              You've Got It! Toyota!" Just don't try to tell people that your Toyota
                                              is a Rolls Royce or a Stuts Bearcat.

                                            • Horatius at the Bridge
                                              Message 22 of 23 , May 16, 2006
                                                Personally, I always thought the Beacat was kinda cool. But thats me.
                                                Victorian English? I'll look into that. But I think he wants japanese
                                                because he enamored with the armor and the general appearance of all things
                                                japanese.Or maybe its just the mystique.

                                                Oh well. Onward and upward. Thank you everyone for your advice. Hoefully I
                                                can avert a crisis before it fully begins.