Re: Much thanks to you all!

  • Otagiri Tatsuzou
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1 10:32 PM
      > You can also choose to belong to provincial gentry, but
      > if you do, you will spend a lot of time pining after the capital.

      I've heard that even those in Kyoto long for Kyoto. ;-)

      Otagiri
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2 7:09 AM

        >> You can also choose to belong to provincial gentry, but
        >> if you do, you will spend a lot of time pining after the capital.
        >
        > I've heard that even those in Kyoto long for Kyoto. ;-)
        Close, but not quite. What they long for is usually lower street
        addresses. Lady Nijo managed to long for the bright lights of lower
        street addresses while still living inside Heiankyo (Kyoto). I like
        Lady Nijo a lot better than the lady in "The Gossamer Years" who drives
        her husband away and then grumps about his absence. She engages in
        self-exile and frequently shows no concern for her numerous dependents
        while at the same time imagining herself becoming some sort of
        Bodhisatva. And, in true self-pitying Heian lady fashion, her exile
        was largely self-imposed.

        Message 3 of 9 , May 2 12:01 PM
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Annette <cbs0_kid@...> wrote:

          > Thank you fort he links and books they are all a big help!
          >
          > Oh and the reason why It took so long for me to thank you all...is
          because of one of ya I am a Haiku addic...

          Er, but I don't WRITE haiku. (Yoko-hime and I had an online haiku
          lesson last night.)

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku has a fairly good description of
          the evolution of haiku from earlier Japanese poetic forms. Heian poets
          would be writing waka, as haiku develops much later on.

          Saionji no Hanae,
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2 4:10 PM

            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku has a fairly good description of
            > the evolution of haiku from earlier Japanese poetic forms. Heian poets
            > would be writing waka, as haiku develops much later on.

            An interesting Wikipedia article. There are at least a few minor
            technical errors in it. As for the origin of the term "haiku", I am
            reserving judgment at this point. The stuff by Basho is called "haiku"
            in several Japanese texts that I own. However, "hatsuku" does show up
            with several meanings in Kogojiten.