Re: [SCA-JML] Much thanks to you all!

  • Annette
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1 7:46 PM
      > Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...> wrote: Noble Cousin!

      > Greetings from Solveig!

      > Although I am sure I am a different person,
      > please look me up a Pennsic
      > and we can chat about Haiku.
      > I am also teaching a poetry class.
      > Or at least plan to.

      I will try to make it to Pennsic And I will search for you...

      > It took Yumi several years to learn how to make Japanese bows.
      > However, I suggest that you honour your father by accepting
      > on of his bows. You can always get another bow later.

      My dad turns wooden bowls he started a few years ago and does a good job he made my rice bowl. Just need to finnish it.

      >> Also feast gear for my persona Where do I find this stuff?
      >> And what do you recommend for it?

      > What was your period and class again?
      > Some if not everything can be purchased from Japan
      > at hideous expense. There are also alternatives to
      > getting Japanese reproductions.

      Samouri Class, Heian if you know any patterns My dad would love to help...

      Jane and Paul

      And I Love Her...

      Message 2 of 9 , May 1 10:14 PM

        Greetings from Solveig! If you want to play Heian, then you are
        probably best off being from the lower ranges of the kuge (courtier
        class). Most of the buke (military class) were pretty poor during the
        Heian period. You can also choose to belong to provincial gentry, but
        if you do, you will spend a lot of time pining after the capital. Of
        course if you also want to fight, well then you might want to be
        provincial gentry or even high ranking military class.

      • Otagiri Tatsuzou
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1 10:32 PM
          > You can also choose to belong to provincial gentry, but
          > if you do, you will spend a lot of time pining after the capital.

          I've heard that even those in Kyoto long for Kyoto. ;-)

          Otagiri
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2 7:09 AM

            >> You can also choose to belong to provincial gentry, but
            >> if you do, you will spend a lot of time pining after the capital.
            >
            > I've heard that even those in Kyoto long for Kyoto. ;-)
            Close, but not quite. What they long for is usually lower street
            addresses. Lady Nijo managed to long for the bright lights of lower
            street addresses while still living inside Heiankyo (Kyoto). I like
            Lady Nijo a lot better than the lady in "The Gossamer Years" who drives
            her husband away and then grumps about his absence. She engages in
            self-exile and frequently shows no concern for her numerous dependents
            while at the same time imagining herself becoming some sort of
            Bodhisatva. And, in true self-pitying Heian lady fashion, her exile
            was largely self-imposed.

            Message 5 of 9 , May 2 12:01 PM
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Annette <cbs0_kid@...> wrote:

              > Thank you fort he links and books they are all a big help!
              >
              > Oh and the reason why It took so long for me to thank you all...is
              because of one of ya I am a Haiku addic...

              Er, but I don't WRITE haiku. (Yoko-hime and I had an online haiku
              lesson last night.)

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku has a fairly good description of
              the evolution of haiku from earlier Japanese poetic forms. Heian poets
              would be writing waka, as haiku develops much later on.

              Saionji no Hanae,
              Message 6 of 9 , May 2 4:10 PM

                > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku has a fairly good description of
                > the evolution of haiku from earlier Japanese poetic forms. Heian poets
                > would be writing waka, as haiku develops much later on.

                An interesting Wikipedia article. There are at least a few minor
                technical errors in it. As for the origin of the term "haiku", I am
                reserving judgment at this point. The stuff by Basho is called "haiku"
                in several Japanese texts that I own. However, "hatsuku" does show up
                with several meanings in Kogojiten.