Much thanks to you all!

  • Annette
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 30, 2006
      Thank you fort he links and books they are all a big help!

      Oh and the reason why It took so long for me to thank you all...is because of one of ya I am a Haiku addic...

      But one more thing
      My dad wants to make my bow shoudl I say yes I think you can or say "Dad your a good bowl turner but I don't think you can make that,

      Also feast gear for my persona Where do I find this stuff? And what do you recommend for it?

      Jane and Paul

      And I Love Her...

      Message 2 of 9 , May 1 3:01 PM

        > Oh and the reason why It took so long for me to thank you all...is
        > because of one of ya I am a Haiku addic...

        Although I am sure I am a different person, please look me up a Pennsic
        and we can chat about Haiku. I am also teaching a poetry class. Or at
        least plan to.

        > My dad wants to make my bow shoudl I say yes I think you can or say
        > "Dad your a good bowl turner but I don't think you can make that,

        It took Yumi several years to learn how to make Japanese bows. However,
        I suggest that you honour your father by accepting on of his bows. You
        can always get another bow later.

        > Also feast gear for my persona Where do I find this stuff? And what
        > do you recommend for it?

        What was your period and class again? Some if not everything can be
        purchased from Japan at hideous expense. There are also alternatives to
        getting Japanese reproductions.

      • Annette
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1 7:46 PM
          > Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...> wrote: Noble Cousin!

          > Greetings from Solveig!

          > Although I am sure I am a different person,
          > please look me up a Pennsic
          > and we can chat about Haiku.
          > I am also teaching a poetry class.
          > Or at least plan to.

          I will try to make it to Pennsic And I will search for you...

          > It took Yumi several years to learn how to make Japanese bows.
          > However, I suggest that you honour your father by accepting
          > on of his bows. You can always get another bow later.

          My dad turns wooden bowls he started a few years ago and does a good job he made my rice bowl. Just need to finnish it.

          >> Also feast gear for my persona Where do I find this stuff?
          >> And what do you recommend for it?

          > What was your period and class again?
          > Some if not everything can be purchased from Japan
          > at hideous expense. There are also alternatives to
          > getting Japanese reproductions.

          Samouri Class, Heian if you know any patterns My dad would love to help...

          Jane and Paul

          And I Love Her...

          Message 4 of 9 , May 1 10:14 PM

            Greetings from Solveig! If you want to play Heian, then you are
            probably best off being from the lower ranges of the kuge (courtier
            class). Most of the buke (military class) were pretty poor during the
            Heian period. You can also choose to belong to provincial gentry, but
            if you do, you will spend a lot of time pining after the capital. Of
            course if you also want to fight, well then you might want to be
            provincial gentry or even high ranking military class.

          • Otagiri Tatsuzou
            Message 5 of 9 , May 1 10:32 PM
              > You can also choose to belong to provincial gentry, but
              > if you do, you will spend a lot of time pining after the capital.

              I've heard that even those in Kyoto long for Kyoto. ;-)

              Otagiri
              Message 6 of 9 , May 2 7:09 AM

                >> You can also choose to belong to provincial gentry, but
                >> if you do, you will spend a lot of time pining after the capital.
                >
                > I've heard that even those in Kyoto long for Kyoto. ;-)
                Close, but not quite. What they long for is usually lower street
                addresses. Lady Nijo managed to long for the bright lights of lower
                street addresses while still living inside Heiankyo (Kyoto). I like
                Lady Nijo a lot better than the lady in "The Gossamer Years" who drives
                her husband away and then grumps about his absence. She engages in
                self-exile and frequently shows no concern for her numerous dependents
                while at the same time imagining herself becoming some sort of
                Bodhisatva. And, in true self-pitying Heian lady fashion, her exile
                was largely self-imposed.

                Message 7 of 9 , May 2 12:01 PM
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Annette <cbs0_kid@...> wrote:

                  > Thank you fort he links and books they are all a big help!
                  >
                  > Oh and the reason why It took so long for me to thank you all...is
                  because of one of ya I am a Haiku addic...

                  Er, but I don't WRITE haiku. (Yoko-hime and I had an online haiku
                  lesson last night.)

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku has a fairly good description of
                  the evolution of haiku from earlier Japanese poetic forms. Heian poets
                  would be writing waka, as haiku develops much later on.

                  Saionji no Hanae,
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 2 4:10 PM

                    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku has a fairly good description of
                    > the evolution of haiku from earlier Japanese poetic forms. Heian poets
                    > would be writing waka, as haiku develops much later on.

                    An interesting Wikipedia article. There are at least a few minor
                    technical errors in it. As for the origin of the term "haiku", I am
                    reserving judgment at this point. The stuff by Basho is called "haiku"
                    in several Japanese texts that I own. However, "hatsuku" does show up
                    with several meanings in Kogojiten.