Re: Proposed Pennsic Class List

  • Joshua McGrew
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30 7:06 PM
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Solveig Throndardottir
      <nostrand@...> wrote:

      > Noble Cousins!
      >
      > Greetings from Solveig! I have submitted the following class list
      > the Chancellor of the Pennsic University. Needless to say, I
      intend to
      > teach all of these. Some of them may not appear in the printed
      Pennsic
      > Schedule. I will post exact times and locations later. However, I
      can
      > assure you that the Incense demo and the Tea demo will both take
      place
      > at Clan Yama Kaminari. I look forward to seeing all of you at one
      time
      > or another at Pennsic. I do hope that Ii dono will undertake
      putting
      > together a composite schedule of all East Asian classes again. I
      think
      > that it was very useful.

      -----
      > Taking the Brush
      > Friday (AUG 11) 2:00 – 4:00
      >
      > A hands-on introduction to designing and executing Japanese
      official
      > documents. This class will introduce the role of the scribe in
      imperial
      > and military government. Participants will also learn bout the
      > evolution of character styles and how documents were attested.
      >
      > Leaves of Laughter - Comic Theatre Workshop
      > Saturday (AUG 12) 2:00 – 4:00
      >
      > A participatory workshop introducing late-medieval
      improvisational
      > Japanese comic theatre. Participants will be introduced to stock
      > characters, theatrical devices, and comic theory. We will read
      several
      > play synopsis and script a short play for performance later in
      the
      > week.
      >
      > Samurai Chef
      > Sunday (AUG 13) 11:00 – 1:00
      >
      > What did Pimiko, Shotoku-taishi, the Shining Genji, Dogen, and
      > Hideyoshi eat? An introduction to the food, food culture,
      cookery,
      > rituals of the meal, and the culinary calendar of pre-modern Japan.
      >
      > Tenkoku - Inkan (Seal) Carving
      > Sunday (AUG 13) 2:00 – 5:00
      >
      > Designing and carving a signature seal. Introduction to historic
      ways
      > to attest documents, historic letter forms, and the textual
      elements of
      > signature seals. Participants will design an carve a seal for
      > themselves.
      >
      > Samurai Poet - Poetry of Court and Field
      > Monday (AUG 14) 2:00 – 3:00
      > Experience the dalliance of Japanese aristocrats. A workshop in
      > Japanese poetic form and aesthetics. Includes Japanese poetry from
      the
      > early classical period through the development of Haikai.
      Experiment
      > with metre, "pillow words", "seasonal words", poetic ellipsis,
      and
      > classical allusion.
      >
      > Muhekian - The Taste of Tea
      > Monday (AUG 14) 7:00 – 900
      > Enjoy the taste of tea under the night sky. Please wear Japanese
      or
      > loose-fitting clothing with white socks or tabi and bring a fan if
      you
      > have one. Please do not wear any jewelry or weapons in the tea
      room.

      > Monsho Bukan - Samurai Banners
      > Tuesday (AUG 15) 12:00 – 1:00
      > An illustrated introduction to the history, function, aesthetics,
      and
      > display of Japanese heraldry. If time permits, we will also
      consider
      > court procedure.
      >
      > Kodo Nyumon – The Sound of Incense
      > Tuesday (AUG 15) 4:00 – 5:00
      > Experience the dalliance of Heian courtiers. Enjoy "listening" to
      the
      > scent of aromatic wood. An introduction to the art and
      appreciation of
      > incense. Incense appreciation is deeply rooted in Heian court
      culture
      > and is associated with Genji Monogatari.
      >
      > The Japanese Cult of Death
      > Wednesday (AUG 16) 2:00 – 3:00
      > Why do Japanese kill themselves? We will discuss both ritual
      suicide by
      > the warrior class and voluntary death embraced by religious
      asthetics.

      > Maho & Yokai - Magic, Superstition, and Mythology
      > Wednesday (AUG 16) 4:00 – 5:00
      > Ghouls, Goblins, and Black Magic. A survey of pre-modern Japanese
      > beliefs and practices. The role of shamen, priests, monks, and
      > magicians in Ancient and Medieval Japan.
      >
      > Sex, Gender, and Kinship in pre-modern Japan
      > Friday (AUG 18) 2:00 – 3:00
      > The social construction of Sex and Gender in pre-Modern Japan. We
      will
      > examine kinship, leadershp, and inheretance as well as the social
      > construction and expression of sexuality.
      >
      > +------------------------------------------------------------------
      ----+
      > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM, CoS,
      Fleur |
      > | deMoivre Institute | Carolingia Statis Mentis
      Est |
      > | mailto:nostrand@... | mailto:Solveig@... |
      > +------------------------------------------------------------------
      ----+
      > | Note. Many popular "free" email services are automatically
      routed to |
      > | the trash by my email
      filters. |

      Sounds Good I found myself saying...i'll take that one...and that
      one...and that one haha between me and my family I think we might
      almost take them all. Thank you so much for teaching these classes
      and sharing your knowledge with everyone.
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 29 6:42 PM

        Greetings from Solveig! I have submitted the following class list to
        the Chancellor of the Pennsic University. Needless to say, I intend to
        teach all of these. Some of them may not appear in the printed Pennsic
        Schedule. I will post exact times and locations later. However, I can
        assure you that the Incense demo and the Tea demo will both take place
        at Clan Yama Kaminari. I look forward to seeing all of you at one time
        or another at Pennsic. I do hope that Ii dono will undertake putting
        together a composite schedule of all East Asian classes again. I think
        that it was very useful.

        ------------

        Taking the Brush
        Friday (AUG 03) 1:00 – 3:00
        Wednesday (AUG 08) 1:00 - 3:00

        A hands-on introduction to Japanese calligraphy. This class
        will cover official documents, Chinese style ink paintings, and
        combining poetry with painting. Participants will also learn about
        the evolution of character styles and how documents were attested.

        The Imperial Table
        Saturday (AUG 04) 1:00 - 2:00
        Tuesday (AUG 07) 1:00 - 2:00

        An introduction to the cuisine, etiquette, and food preparation
        techniques of ancient China and Japan. We will particularly
        focus on China of the Six Dynasties period and the influence
        of this period through the T'ang dynasty on Japanese culinary
        culture.

        Leaves of Laughter - Comic Theatre Workshop
        Saturday (AUG 04) 4:00 - 7:00

        A participatory workshop introducing several pre-modern theatric
        forms and emphasizing late-medieval improvisational Japanese
        comic theatre. Participants will be introduced to stock characters,
        theatrical devices, and comic theory. We will read several play
        synopsis and script a short play for performance later in the week.
        $1.00 for handout.

        Muhekian - The Taste of Tea
        Tuesday (AUG 07) 7:00 – 900
        Enjoy the taste of tea under the night sky. Please wear Japanese or
        loose-fitting clothing with white socks or tabi and bring a fan if you
        have one. Please do not wear any jewelry or weapons in the tea room.
        $5.00 for participants.

        Kodo Nyumon – The Sound of Incense
        Sunday (AUG 05) 7:00 – 8:00
        Experience the dalliance of Heian courtiers. Enjoy “listening” to the
        scent of aromatic wood. An introduction to the art and appreciation of
        incense. Incense appreciation is deeply rooted in Heian court culture
        and is associated with Genji Monogatari. The ceremony will be followed
        by a poetry party. $1.00 for participants. $1.00 for poetry handout.

        Japanese Festival Dance
        Sunday (AUG 05) 4:00 - 6:00
        Wednesday (AUG 08) 4:00 - 5:00
        A practical introduction to basic Japanese dance movement and a
        number of festival dances. Participants are encouraged to come to
        both sessions. We will participate in the Yama Kaminari festival
        later in the week. $1.00 for handout.

        The Dawn of Japan
        Sunday (AUG 05) 1:00 - 2:00
        An introduction to early Japanese culture for those wishing to
        recreate ancient Japan. A basic introduction to the history and
        culture of early Japan from pre-history to the Nara Period.

        The World of the Courtier
        Monday (AUG 06) 1:00 - 2:00
        An introduction to classical Japanese culture for those wishing
        to recreate Japanese court culture. A basic introduction to the history
        and culture of classical Japan from the Heian Period through
        the Kenmu Restoration and the Northern and Southern courts.

        The World of the Warrior
        Friday (AUG 10) 1:00 - 2:00
        An introduction to medieval Japanese culture for those wishing
        to recreate Japanese military culture. A basic introduction to the
        history and culture of medieval Japan from the Genpei War
        through Sekigahara.

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 30 9:20 AM
            Hot Diggity! When is Pennsic?
            -Jason
            "Sanada no Katsuyuki"

            wrote:

            > Noble Cousins!
            >
            > Greetings from Solveig! I have submitted the following class list to
            > the Chancellor of the Pennsic University. Needless to say, I intend to
            > teach all of these. Some of them may not appear in the printed Pennsic
            > Schedule. I will post exact times and locations later. However, I can
            > assure you that the Incense demo and the Tea demo will both take place
            > at Clan Yama Kaminari. I look forward to seeing all of you at one time
            > or another at Pennsic. I do hope that Ii dono will undertake putting
            > together a composite schedule of all East Asian classes again. I think
            > that it was very useful.
            >
            > Your Humble Servant
            > Solveig Throndardottir
            > Amateur Scholar
          • chasrmartin
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 30 9:23 AM
              wrote:

              > Noble Cousins!
              >
              > Greetings from Solveig! I have submitted the following class list to
              > the Chancellor of the Pennsic University.

              I've got to say, this is the first time I've been tempted to go to
              Pennsic in 20 years.

              - Mugyo
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 30 3:12 PM
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Adams" <banditt_adams@...> wrote:

                > Hot Diggity! When is Pennsic?

                http://www.pennsicwar.org will have your answers.

              • Simon Perigny - TravelOnly
                Message 7 of 8 , May 4, 2007
                  Now, Solveig you've made an implacable ennemy... ME!

                  How can you propose such a cursus when I can't go??? Damn.

                  Matsudaira Yoshi

                  Greetings from Solveig! I have submitted the following class list to the
                  Chancellor of the Pennsic University. Needless to say, I intend to teach all
                  of these. Some of them may not appear in the printed Pennsic Schedule. I
                  will post exact times and locations later. However, I can assure you that
                  the Incense demo and the Tea demo will both take place at Clan Yama
                  Kaminari. I look forward to seeing all of you at one time or another at
                  Pennsic. I do hope that Ii dono will undertake putting together a composite
                  schedule of all East Asian classes again. I think that it was very useful.

                  Your
                  Humble Servant

                  ------------

                  Taking the Brush
                  Friday (AUG 03) 1:00 – 3:00
                  Wednesday (AUG 08) 1:00 - 3:00

                  A hands-on introduction to Japanese calligraphy. This class will cover
                  official documents, Chinese style ink paintings, and combining poetry with
                  painting. Participants will also learn about the evolution of character
                  styles and how documents were attested.

                  The Imperial Table
                  Saturday (AUG 04) 1:00 - 2:00
                  Tuesday (AUG 07) 1:00 - 2:00

                  An introduction to the cuisine, etiquette, and food preparation techniques
                  of ancient China and Japan. We will particularly focus on China of the Six
                  Dynasties period and the influence of this period through the T'ang dynasty
                  on Japanese culinary culture.

                  Leaves of Laughter - Comic Theatre Workshop
                  Saturday (AUG 04) 4:00 - 7:00

                  A participatory workshop introducing several pre-modern theatric forms and
                  emphasizing late-medieval improvisational Japanese comic theatre.
                  Participants will be introduced to stock characters, theatrical devices, and
                  comic theory. We will read several play synopsis and script a short play
                  for performance later in the week. $1.00 for handout.

                  Muhekian - The Taste of Tea
                  Tuesday (AUG 07) 7:00 – 900
                  Enjoy the taste of tea under the night sky. Please wear Japanese or
                  loose-fitting clothing with white socks or tabi and bring a fan if you have
                  one. Please do not wear any jewelry or weapons in the tea room. $5.00 for
                  participants.

[...]

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                  6:30 AM