Kendo Class

  • Joshua McGrew
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 30, 2006
      I attended the Blackstone event last weekend and I met a few
      interesting people one of which i cant seem to find or contact over
      the internet...he told me where to go...but well i have totaly forgot
      everything and im hoping someone can help me if they know him. He
      teaches Kendo, Iaido, and Tai Chi up near Pittsburg and I would really
      like to take his classes he wears black armor in tournaments and has a
      gold/yellow bird on the back of this armor...also his name starts with
      a "Z" and many call him Z because of his long name that is very hard
      to pronounce. I am hoping someone can help me. Contact me through my e-
      mail if you have any info on him i would love to start taking classes
      from him. My e-mail is Sortis_86@...
    • Annette
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 30, 2006
        Thank you fort he links and books they are all a big help!

        Oh and the reason why It took so long for me to thank you all...is because of one of ya I am a Haiku addic...

        But one more thing
        My dad wants to make my bow shoudl I say yes I think you can or say "Dad your a good bowl turner but I don't think you can make that,

        Also feast gear for my persona Where do I find this stuff? And what do you recommend for it?

        Jane and Paul

        And I Love Her...

        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2006

          > Oh and the reason why It took so long for me to thank you all...is
          > because of one of ya I am a Haiku addic...

          Although I am sure I am a different person, please look me up a Pennsic
          and we can chat about Haiku. I am also teaching a poetry class. Or at
          least plan to.

          > My dad wants to make my bow shoudl I say yes I think you can or say
          > "Dad your a good bowl turner but I don't think you can make that,

          It took Yumi several years to learn how to make Japanese bows. However,
          I suggest that you honour your father by accepting on of his bows. You
          can always get another bow later.

          > Also feast gear for my persona Where do I find this stuff? And what
          > do you recommend for it?

          What was your period and class again? Some if not everything can be
          purchased from Japan at hideous expense. There are also alternatives to
          getting Japanese reproductions.

        • Annette
          Message 4 of 9 , May 1, 2006
            > Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...> wrote: Noble Cousin!

            > Greetings from Solveig!

            > Although I am sure I am a different person,
            > please look me up a Pennsic
            > and we can chat about Haiku.
            > I am also teaching a poetry class.
            > Or at least plan to.

            I will try to make it to Pennsic And I will search for you...

            > It took Yumi several years to learn how to make Japanese bows.
            > However, I suggest that you honour your father by accepting
            > on of his bows. You can always get another bow later.

            My dad turns wooden bowls he started a few years ago and does a good job he made my rice bowl. Just need to finnish it.

            >> Also feast gear for my persona Where do I find this stuff?
            >> And what do you recommend for it?

            > What was your period and class again?
            > Some if not everything can be purchased from Japan
            > at hideous expense. There are also alternatives to
            > getting Japanese reproductions.

            Samouri Class, Heian if you know any patterns My dad would love to help...

            Jane and Paul

            And I Love Her...

            Message 5 of 9 , May 1, 2006

              Greetings from Solveig! If you want to play Heian, then you are
              probably best off being from the lower ranges of the kuge (courtier
              class). Most of the buke (military class) were pretty poor during the
              Heian period. You can also choose to belong to provincial gentry, but
              if you do, you will spend a lot of time pining after the capital. Of
              course if you also want to fight, well then you might want to be
              provincial gentry or even high ranking military class.

            • Otagiri Tatsuzou
              Message 6 of 9 , May 1, 2006
                > You can also choose to belong to provincial gentry, but
                > if you do, you will spend a lot of time pining after the capital.

                I've heard that even those in Kyoto long for Kyoto. ;-)

                Otagiri
                Message 7 of 9 , May 2, 2006

                  >> You can also choose to belong to provincial gentry, but
                  >> if you do, you will spend a lot of time pining after the capital.
                  >
                  > I've heard that even those in Kyoto long for Kyoto. ;-)
                  Close, but not quite. What they long for is usually lower street
                  addresses. Lady Nijo managed to long for the bright lights of lower
                  street addresses while still living inside Heiankyo (Kyoto). I like
                  Lady Nijo a lot better than the lady in "The Gossamer Years" who drives
                  her husband away and then grumps about his absence. She engages in
                  self-exile and frequently shows no concern for her numerous dependents
                  while at the same time imagining herself becoming some sort of
                  Bodhisatva. And, in true self-pitying Heian lady fashion, her exile
                  was largely self-imposed.

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 2, 2006
                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Annette <cbs0_kid@...> wrote:

                    > Thank you fort he links and books they are all a big help!
                    >
                    > Oh and the reason why It took so long for me to thank you all...is
                    because of one of ya I am a Haiku addic...

                    Er, but I don't WRITE haiku. (Yoko-hime and I had an online haiku
                    lesson last night.)

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku has a fairly good description of
                    the evolution of haiku from earlier Japanese poetic forms. Heian poets
                    would be writing waka, as haiku develops much later on.

                    Saionji no Hanae,
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 2, 2006

                      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku has a fairly good description of
                      > the evolution of haiku from earlier Japanese poetic forms. Heian poets
                      > would be writing waka, as haiku develops much later on.

                      An interesting Wikipedia article. There are at least a few minor
                      technical errors in it. As for the origin of the term "haiku", I am
                      reserving judgment at this point. The stuff by Basho is called "haiku"
                      in several Japanese texts that I own. However, "hatsuku" does show up
                      with several meanings in Kogojiten.