Re: [SCA-JML] Japanese textiles

  • mercy67@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 24, 2000

      <<
      I've heard of cotton and wool coming over with the Europeans, and I don't
      doubt that those who could afford it made some garments out of it,
      although I don't have any good sources for it. Does anyone else know?

      You know, I have a sashiko book that refers to the Japanese having cotton
      introduced to them in the 15th century. Before that there was fabrics made
      of grass, tree-bark fibers, ramie or silk. It was the 18th century when
      Sashiko was introduced (or so this book says). Who knows if this is correct
      (Sashiko and Beyond by Saikoh Takano...nice embroidery book).

      --Mercy