Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Beading projects

    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 8, 2006

      > I think the hats Solveig-hime mentioned might be for men. The court
      > class wore a variety of hats, often denoting rank and/or formality of
      > occasion. (Solveig-hime? Any more clues on this?)

      Well, for example, there is the coronation hat of the emperor depicted
      in one on the Monumenta Nipponica texts on Japanese enthronement
      ritual. There is also a variety of other hats worn by court officials.
      If you go back far enough, you may find some of these officials being
      women. One woman served twice as emperor.

      > Here's a recent discussion on wearing jewelry with traditional kimono.
      > I include it because you may find it interesting.
      > http://www.immortalgeisha.com/ig_bb/viewtopic.php?
      > t=3102&highlight=jewelry

      The tea ceremony and, if I recall correctly, the incense ceremony as
      well pretty much requires you to leave all jewelry at home.

      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 8, 2006

        Greetings from Solveig! You can take a look at a picture of a "benkan"
        from page 250 of The Emergence of Japanese Kingship by Joan R. Piggott.
        Stanford University Press, 1997.

        http://137.143.148.234/japan/benkan.pdf

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 8, 2006

          Greetings from Solveig! You may have an easier time viewing:

          http://137.143.148.234/japan/benkan.jpg