Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Beading projects

    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 8, 2006

      > But what about hats, hairpins or lanyards? How about pearls? They
      > were
      > popular in China and India.
      As I mentioned before, there were some ornamented hats inspired by
      Chinese models if you go back far enough. As for hat pins, no you
      should not expect that. Hats were secured with cords. I do not know
      about gold leaf applied to clothing, but there was highly decorated
      brocade.

      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 8, 2006

        > I think the hats Solveig-hime mentioned might be for men. The court
        > class wore a variety of hats, often denoting rank and/or formality of
        > occasion. (Solveig-hime? Any more clues on this?)

        Well, for example, there is the coronation hat of the emperor depicted
        in one on the Monumenta Nipponica texts on Japanese enthronement
        ritual. There is also a variety of other hats worn by court officials.
        If you go back far enough, you may find some of these officials being
        women. One woman served twice as emperor.

        > Here's a recent discussion on wearing jewelry with traditional kimono.
        > I include it because you may find it interesting.
        > http://www.immortalgeisha.com/ig_bb/viewtopic.php?
        > t=3102&highlight=jewelry

        The tea ceremony and, if I recall correctly, the incense ceremony as
        well pretty much requires you to leave all jewelry at home.

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 8, 2006

          Greetings from Solveig! You can take a look at a picture of a "benkan"
          from page 250 of The Emergence of Japanese Kingship by Joan R. Piggott.
          Stanford University Press, 1997.

          http://137.143.148.234/japan/benkan.pdf

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 8, 2006

            Greetings from Solveig! You may have an easier time viewing:

            http://137.143.148.234/japan/benkan.jpg