Kamakura era question

  • Bjorn Swiftaxe
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 8, 2006
      Greetings good gentles,

      I've been lurking here for quite some time but recently decided to
      try and do a bit more research and development on my japanese
      persona. What I'd like to know is what information there is on
      Buddhism during the Kamakura period. Did they have specific clothing
      or accoutrements which made them obvious or did they look like every
      other member of the community.

      Thank you for any help you might give me on this,

      Iwakawa Arimasa
      aka Lord Bjorn Swiftaxe

      Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
      arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "Whoo what a ride!!"

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 8, 2006

        > Buddhism during the Kamakura period. Did they have specific clothing
        > or accoutrements which made them obvious or did they look like every
        > other member of the community.

        It depends entirely on whether or not you have taken holy orders, are
        on a pilgrimage, or are otherwise actively professing religion. In
        general, Japanese are syncretists and belong to several religions
        simultaneously.

      • Bjorn Swiftaxe
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 8, 2006
          Greetings Solveig,

          Thank you for your response but I have yet more questions now...What
          exactly is syncretists mean?

          What I was thinking was a young scholar/monk type persona who is a
          devout follower of Buddhism.

          Arimasa

          --- Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...> wrote:

          > Noble Cousin!
          >
          > Greetings from Solveig!
          >
          > It depends entirely on whether or not you have taken holy orders,
          > are
          > on a pilgrimage, or are otherwise actively professing religion. In
          > general, Japanese are syncretists and belong to several religions
          > simultaneously.

          Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
          arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "Whoo what a ride!!"

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 9, 2006
            On 4/9/06, Bjorn Swiftaxe <snaebjornr@...> wrote:
            > Greetings Solveig,
            >
            > Thank you for your response but I have yet more questions now...What
            > exactly is syncretists mean?
            >
            > What I was thinking was a young scholar/monk type persona who is a
            > devout follower of Buddhism.

            My understanding is that if you are actually a monk (not just a
            layperson) you would have taken the tonsure (shaved your head) and
            probably would have vestments of some kind distinctly different from
            that of most people--the problem is that I don't know exactly how this
            changed over time and sect, since you had numerous different Buddhist
            sects--the most popular included Tendai, Shingon, Jodo, Nichiren,
            Rinzai Zen, Soto Zen, and I'm sure I'm missing some. Some of the
            garments to look into: Kyutai, kesa, koromo. I would also recommend
            going through the Kyoto Costume Museum's website
            (http://www.iz2.or.jp)

            Another good place to look is over at Mokurai-bo's site:

            http://mokurai.destinyslobster.com/Being_a_monk.html

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 9, 2006

              Greetings from Solveig! I largely agree with Ii dono on this one. I
              would add that there are a couple of books you might want to look at
              before picking a Buddhist sect to be involved with.

              Kashihara's History of Japanese Religion

              and

              Kashiwarah & Sonoda's Shapers of Japanese Buddhism

              These two books will give you a good start on having a background in
              Japanese Buddhism. You should first pick a sect to belong to as this
              will affect the clothes you wear, whether or not you can be married,
              what sort of name you choose for yourself, &c.

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 9, 2006

                Greetings from Solveig! Those of you interested in a Japanese sense of
                togetherness in your encampment may want to check out:

                tp://suzukidesign.ld.infoseek.co.jp/kosho.html

              • Gina S.
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 9, 2006
                  I assume that the first chair shown is 2730 yen. Not
                  too bad a price I'd say...

                  dori-mu houshoku

                  -Hajime

                  http://mail.yahoo.com