Re: Beading projects

    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 7, 2006
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa Russell" <virusq@...> wrote:

      > I wanted to incorporate something I enjoy into the SCA and give
      > myself a project that I could research and learn from instead of
      > just spending a bunch of money on a crafting materials that would
      > never leave a box.

      Tsk tsk. You, my dear lady, should check out a collegium or university
      type event in your area. I've had the opportunity to try my hand at
      wood carving (liked it a lot, explains the sensu experiments, doesn't
      it?), terra cotta sculpture (liked it a lot), metalwork (so so),
      lampwork bead making (hated it), fingerloop braiding.... First hit
      might even be free or only include a modest materials fee. You might
      find something you like.

      Certain types of bead work ARE appropriate to certain cultures.
      (Byzantium and Elizabethan England are two I can think of.)
      Unfortunately Japan isn't one of them.

      > I'd love to do embroidery or painting, but I don't have the patience
      > for either.
      Beading would make me psychotic. ;->

      > I've seen prayer beads, crude strands of rock for necklaces and
      > netsuke. I was just amazed that such an artistic culture (who seem
      > to put a lot of spiritual value on certain stones and elements)
      > wouldn't show beads more prominantly and assumed that I was just
      > missing some essential step in my research.
      Many of those spiritual and intellectual values are rooted in China.
      Say that an ancient Chinese Buddhist text makes its way to Japan and
      says The Shiny Happy Rock of Foo cures dandruff and brings harmony.
      Now, they don't have Shiny Happy Rocks of Foo in Japan because they
      only come from Foo which is practically in Tibet and nobody in Japan
      has ever seen one, but that doesn't mean that Japanese Buddhists
      aren't going to revere the properties of the Shiny Happy Rock of Foo
      if they ever happen to stub a toe on something that suddenly gives
      them a good hair day. And when the Emperor closes the country and
      stuff stops coming in from China, your chances of ever getting your
      hands on a Shiny Happy are pretty darn slim. Yes, I'm being facetious,
      but this explains why you can find tigers in the Japanese Zodiac when
      they are not an indigenous species to that part of Asia.

      > I just don't understand how they would have gold-leafed their
      > clothes but not have sewn in something shiney.
      They had other ways of doing shiny. BTW, that gold leaf technique is
      called surihaku, and it started as a way to fake a very hard-to-get
      Chinese brocade known as kinran that uses gold thread. And gold leaf
      does flake off (though it doesn't scratch up the floor or rip up the
      mats) but the whole falling-cherry-blossom-as-metaphor-for-the
      impermanence-of-existence makes it that much more beautiful and highly
      prized.)

      > But what about hats, hairpins or lanyards? How about pearls? They
      were
      > popular in China and India.

      http://www.iz2.or.jp/fukusyoku/wayou/6.htm shows a Heian court lady
      dressed up for the most formal occasion and she has a gold comb in her
      hair with some danglies. That's about the only time I've seen one.
      Mostly, court or warrior-class women in period wore their hair very
      simply, long and straight, perhaps tied in a loose ponytail with - get
      this - plain white paper. (Simple, subtle, elegant, does not detract
      from the exquisite display of one's silks -or beautiful hair.) This
      lady is dressed for her wedding - no deely-bobs in sight:
      http://www.iz2.or.jp/fukusyoku/wayou/12.htm

      I think the hats Solveig-hime mentioned might be for men. The court
      class wore a variety of hats, often denoting rank and/or formality of
      occasion. (Solveig-hime? Any more clues on this?)

      I also belong to a board called Immortal Geisha. I took the liberty of
      posting a request to see if anyone knew of bead embellishment on
      modern kimono or obi, and we got a rather interesting example, which
      is dated "Showa" (1926-1989). Here's the link:
      http://www.immortalgeisha.com/ig_bb/viewtopic.php?t=3558&highlight=

      Here's a recent discussion on wearing jewelry with traditional kimono.
      I include it because you may find it interesting.
      http://www.immortalgeisha.com/ig_bb/viewtopic.php?t=3102&highlight=jewelry

      Sorry not to have better news for you. Something may yet turn up, but
      my gut feeling is that it's rather unlikely.

      Saionji no Hanae,
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 8, 2006

        > But what about hats, hairpins or lanyards? How about pearls? They
        > were
        > popular in China and India.
        As I mentioned before, there were some ornamented hats inspired by
        Chinese models if you go back far enough. As for hat pins, no you
        should not expect that. Hats were secured with cords. I do not know
        about gold leaf applied to clothing, but there was highly decorated
        brocade.

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 8, 2006

          > I think the hats Solveig-hime mentioned might be for men. The court
          > class wore a variety of hats, often denoting rank and/or formality of
          > occasion. (Solveig-hime? Any more clues on this?)

          Well, for example, there is the coronation hat of the emperor depicted
          in one on the Monumenta Nipponica texts on Japanese enthronement
          ritual. There is also a variety of other hats worn by court officials.
          If you go back far enough, you may find some of these officials being
          women. One woman served twice as emperor.

          > Here's a recent discussion on wearing jewelry with traditional kimono.
          > I include it because you may find it interesting.
          > http://www.immortalgeisha.com/ig_bb/viewtopic.php?
          > t=3102&highlight=jewelry

          The tea ceremony and, if I recall correctly, the incense ceremony as
          well pretty much requires you to leave all jewelry at home.

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 8, 2006

            Greetings from Solveig! You can take a look at a picture of a "benkan"
            from page 250 of The Emergence of Japanese Kingship by Joan R. Piggott.
            Stanford University Press, 1997.

            http://137.143.148.234/japan/benkan.pdf

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 8, 2006

              Greetings from Solveig! You may have an easier time viewing:

              http://137.143.148.234/japan/benkan.jpg