Re: [SCA-JML] mon question

  • Elaine Koogler
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 7 5:34 AM
      sigrune@... wrote:
      > In a message dated 4/6/2006 9:35:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      > "Heather" <dragongirl_kat@...> writes:
      >
      > >...in the scope of the sca would it be wrong to use a
      > >particular mon that I have came to like but can not find
      > >any references to the time period in which I would like
      > >to portray. the mon in question is the one listed as used
      > >by the takeda here:
      >
      > http://www.samurai-archives.com/crest6.html.
      >
      > >the time period...is the kamakura
      >
      > Funny you should mention that.
      > I tried unsuccessdully to register that particular mon as a badge
      > (with a permission to conflict on file) so that it would be a
      > registered item and thus protected.
      >
      > Not one mention of pretention was brought up, but apparently by laurel
      > precedent it conflicts with the St. Andrews Cross of Scotland.
      >
      > The nice part is that I can fly the clan banners.
      >
      > I personally think it is a great mon, but maybe I am baiased.
      >
      > -Takeda

      As a former Kingdom herald who went through seven versions of H-E-double
      toothpicks to register my front and back mons (can't remember the
      Japanese terms right now...or device and badge in European terms), I
      have to say that, of all historic Japanese mon, the Takeda mon is
      probably one of the more familiar, especially because of various
      Japanese movies. However, as we have also argued in the past, mon were
      not really the equivalent of European devices, but were used by members
      of the clan and were also frequently given by the clan head to someone
      who had provided a great service to the clan. So, if it were left to
      me, I might advise the submittor of its fame, but, if they really wanted
      it, pass it.

      Kiri