Re: [SCA-JML] mon question

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6, 2006

      Greetings from Solveig! I have no particular objection to you using the
      Takeda design. You may have difficulty registering it with the heralds
      as a badge because the four bishi are disconnected. If you pick
      tinctures for both the bishi and the background, then you may be able
      to register it as your arms. I should point out that I own the yellow
      bishi at the moment and use it as a repetitive all over pattern. Or at
      least that is how I intend to use it if I can ever manage make or get
      made the clothing I have in mind made. Incidentally, the crossed
      feather motif that I also have registered is drawn completely
      incorrectly in the records of the College of Arms. I also own two
      feathers in saltire which is another rather spiffy Japanese design
      element. I forget the tincture in this case. If you want to know about
      the possibility of historical usage of four bishi in the Kamakura
      period, then you can check out whether it is in Daibukan or not.
      Daibukan is arranged chronologically.

    • Elaine Koogler
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 7, 2006
        sigrune@... wrote:
        > In a message dated 4/6/2006 9:35:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        > "Heather" <dragongirl_kat@...> writes:
        >
        > >...in the scope of the sca would it be wrong to use a
        > >particular mon that I have came to like but can not find
        > >any references to the time period in which I would like
        > >to portray. the mon in question is the one listed as used
        > >by the takeda here:
        >
        > http://www.samurai-archives.com/crest6.html.
        >
        > >the time period...is the kamakura
        >
        > Funny you should mention that.
        > I tried unsuccessdully to register that particular mon as a badge
        > (with a permission to conflict on file) so that it would be a
        > registered item and thus protected.
        >
        > Not one mention of pretention was brought up, but apparently by laurel
        > precedent it conflicts with the St. Andrews Cross of Scotland.
        >
        > The nice part is that I can fly the clan banners.
        >
        > I personally think it is a great mon, but maybe I am baiased.
        >
        > -Takeda

        As a former Kingdom herald who went through seven versions of H-E-double
        toothpicks to register my front and back mons (can't remember the
        Japanese terms right now...or device and badge in European terms), I
        have to say that, of all historic Japanese mon, the Takeda mon is
        probably one of the more familiar, especially because of various
        Japanese movies. However, as we have also argued in the past, mon were
        not really the equivalent of European devices, but were used by members
        of the clan and were also frequently given by the clan head to someone
        who had provided a great service to the clan. So, if it were left to
        me, I might advise the submittor of its fame, but, if they really wanted
        it, pass it.

        Kiri