Beading projects

  • Melissa Russell
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 5 10:51 PM
      Hello!

      I'm trying to get more into the arts side of the SCA and have been looking
      for some examples of Japanese beading projects. I know they had beads and I
      know they used them, I just can't seem to find any finished projects or
      applications aside from those inro boxy thingies.

      Does anyone have any suggestions for websites or books that may help me on
      my way?

      Also, how wide was the average Japanese loom (say... Heian/Kamakura era)? I
      tried making a kosode based on information that stated the fabric pieces
      were 16" wide and it turned out -huge-. (I can't imagine wearing 3 or 4
      more layers!) Since then, I've found information stating that fabric strips
      where anywhere from 8" to 15" inches wide, so I was wondering what the most
      common width would have been.

      And ... is it really worth tracking down hemp instead of linen? Does one
      wear/breathe better or is one just more historically accurate than the
      other?

      Thank you!

      -Lady Dayone the Dark
      Atenveldt
    • Tracie Ellis
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 6 7:10 PM
        Ah, a lady after my own heart. Though I study mostly gemstones and their
        uses...

        If anyone has anything, please email us both? Deeply indebted *low,
        forehead to ground bow*

        Miriel (lurker)

        --
        Email me for designs on period "like" jewelry.

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 6 8:11 PM
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa Russell" <virusq@...> wrote:
          > I'm trying to get more into the arts side of the SCA and have been
          > looking for some examples of Japanese beading projects. I know they
          > had beads and I know they used them, I just can't seem to find any
          > finished projects or applications aside from those inro boxy
          > thingies.
          How can you know they used them if you don't know what they used them
          for? If you're thinking of the application of beads to fabric for
          decoration, I am honestly not aware that the Japanese did this in
          period. I would be interested to see what you have found besides
          netsuke, because I'm still learning a lot of this myself.

          > Also, how wide was the average Japanese loom (say... Heian/Kamakura
          era)? I
          > tried making a kosode based on information that stated the fabric
          pieces
          > were 16" wide and it turned out -huge-.

          That's right. The loomwidth measurements run around 16 - 17" or so.
          And hugeness is not wrong, especially on a woman during the period
          you're interested in. It's supposed to look huge. A large body
          silhouette (especially on a physically small person) proclaims your
          wealth and importance. As a not physically small person, even I manage
          to look small in clothing made to this width - and that's a most
          excellent thing. ;->

          How did the Japanese size their clothing? Instead of making wasteful
          cuts, they used the whole widths (or divisions thereof for okumi and
          eri) and if they needed to size down, they made the seam allowances
          bigger. This way, if you pass your robe onto another family member or
          give it as a gift, they can take it apart and resize it. Recycling at
          its finest.

          If, like the rest of us, you're using modern fabrics that come on
          bolts anywhere from 30" wide on up, how do you size it for yourself?
          Stand with your arms out to the sides at shoulder height and have a
          friend measure you from wristbone to wristbone. Take that number in
          inches, divide by four, then add 1 back (gives you 1/2 inch seam
          allowances). That will give you the minimum width you need to make
          kosode. If you're doing Heian court clothing, you will want to go much
          wider for the layers that go on top of the kosode.

          If you haven't been there yet, please go visit the Kyoto Costume
          Museum website and browse the "Costume History of Japan" section.
          http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/

          You will see a great deal of huge-ness on the models of women of the
          court or samurai classes in all the pre Edo sections. You don't start
          seeing the narrow, tubular profile of what most people associate with
          traditional modern kimono (which run to widths in the 14 - 15" range,
          by the way) until much later.

          > (I can't imagine wearing 3 or 4 more layers!)
          I can. I have. A couple of weeks ago I looked like a big lavender
          patchwork makizushi in my new dan gawari kosode (over yellow layered
          over mint green). Just the thing for a blustery March day.

          > And ... is it really worth tracking down hemp instead of linen?
          I haven't actually tried it yet, so I can't comment (especially as I
          have some excellent sources for linen for my European stuff).

          Hope this is helpful.

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 6 10:31 PM

            > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa Russell" <virusq@...> wrote:
            >> I'm trying to get more into the arts side of the SCA and have been
            >> looking for some examples of Japanese beading projects. I know they
            >> had beads and I know they used them, I just can't seem to find any
            >> finished projects or applications aside from those inro boxy
            >> thingies.

            Well, it all depends on what you mean by beading. There was a kind of
            bead necklace worn during the Yayoi period. If you mean things like
            beaded American Indian belts, then I really can not think of Japanese
            examples. There were glass beads used to play games. And there are hats
            which appear to contain a single bead. Also, if you go back far enough,
            you can find some pretty extravegant head gear which appears to contain
            beads. Rather large glass beads are used to play children's games and
            you can argue that go stones are a kind of bead I suppose.

          • Melissa Russell
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 7 1:53 PM
              Hmm. I was aiming for some kind of jewelry or accessory piece for a
              project, like a hat or garment trim. I was hoping to put charges from my
              device onto the collar or sleeve of the top er... osode? Beaded hats or
              hairpins would be perfect, but I'm really just looking for what they did
              with them.

              About how far back would I have to look for the beaded hats? Do the Yayoi
              necklaces have a specific name?

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 7 6:31 PM
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa Russell" <virusq@...> wrote:
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa Russell" <virusq@...> wrote:

                May I ask why you are so heart set on beading?

                > Hmm. I was aiming for some kind of jewelry or accessory piece for a
                > project, like a hat or garment trim. I was hoping to put charges
                from > my device onto the collar or sleeve of the top er... osode?

                I have 0 evidence of beadwork as garment trim in any of my textile
                books for our period in Japan. (Note, I do not say they never did it.
                I cannot prove they never did it. On the other hand I cannot prove
                they did.) I did go looking and found a website while googling
                "Japanese beadwork" that says certain types of bead embroidery got
                popular during the Meiji period (19th century).

                Remember, these garments endure a great deal of contact with the
                floor. They sat in them. They knelt in them. They used robes for
                blankets while sleeping. And they took them apart to clean them, or to
                resize them for other wearers, so there are practical considerations
                to sewing protruding objects onto a garment.

                In Japan in our period and after, it's all about the textiles.
                Textiles were decorated with dye, woven motifs, even gold leaf applied
                to rice paste. (Embroidery, known in the Nara period for some reason
                goes away for several centuries, comes back late in our period as an
                imitation of hard to get Chinese imports.) You can see some of my
                experiments at replicating some of these effects with fabric paint at
                http://www.wodefordhall.com/fakingit.htm

                And I urge you to go look at the material on the Kyoto Costume Museum
                website, both the history section and the textile gallery. If you find
                evidence of a single bead stitched on a pre-17th century Japanese
                garment, I would love to see it, because I am still learning these
                things too.

                Saionji no Hanae, West Kingdom
              • Elaine Koogler
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 7 6:40 PM
                  wodeford wrote:
                  > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa Russell" <virusq@...> wrote:
                  > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa Russell" <virusq@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > May I ask why you are so heart set on beading?
                  >
                  > > Hmm. I was aiming for some kind of jewelry or accessory piece for a
                  > > project, like a hat or garment trim. I was hoping to put charges
                  > from > my device onto the collar or sleeve of the top er... osode?
                  >
                  > I have 0 evidence of beadwork as garment trim in any of my textile
                  > books for our period in Japan. (Note, I do not say they never did it.
                  > I cannot prove they never did it. On the other hand I cannot prove
                  > they did.) I did go looking and found a website while googling
                  > "Japanese beadwork" that says certain types of bead embroidery got
                  > popular during the Meiji period (19th century).
                  >
                  > Remember, these garments endure a great deal of contact with the
                  > floor. They sat in them. They knelt in them. They used robes for
                  > blankets while sleeping. And they took them apart to clean them, or to
                  > resize them for other wearers, so there are practical considerations
                  > to sewing protruding objects onto a garment.
                  >
                  > In Japan in our period and after, it's all about the textiles.
                  > Textiles were decorated with dye, woven motifs, even gold leaf applied
                  > to rice paste. (Embroidery, known in the Nara period for some reason
                  > goes away for several centuries, comes back late in our period as an
                  > imitation of hard to get Chinese imports.) You can see some of my
                  > experiments at replicating some of these effects with fabric paint at
                  > http://www.wodefordhall.com/fakingit.htm
                  >
                  > And I urge you to go look at the material on the Kyoto Costume Museum
                  > website, both the history section and the textile gallery. If you find
                  > evidence of a single bead stitched on a pre-17th century Japanese
                  > garment, I would love to see it, because I am still learning these
                  > things too.
                  >
                  > Saionji no Hanae, West Kingdom

                  While my knowledge of Japanese garb pales beside many on this list, I
                  have been researching it for a number of years and, as is the case with
                  others who have responded, I have never seen anything having to do with
                  beadwork on Japanese clothing. Chinese, yes. Japanese, no. So if you
                  want to do beadwork, I recommend you consider doing Chinese stuff.

                  Kiri, Atlantia
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 7 6:59 PM
                    Noble Cousin!

                    Greetings from Solveig! I do not know of a special name for the yayoi
                    necklaces. In any case, the period is largely prehistoric. A bit later,
                    there are ceremonial hats patterned after Chinese models that have
                    hanging strands of beads and stuff like that. These are also very
                    early.

                  • Melissa Russell
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 7 8:40 PM
                      I wanted to incorporate something I enjoy into the SCA and give myself a
                      project that I could research and learn from instead of just spending a
                      bunch of money on a crafting materials that would never leave a box. I'd
                      love to do embroidery or painting, but I don't have the patience for either.
                      (Although, the page on Sensu making is incredibly tempting...)

                      In looking around the internet, I found that a lot of notible beaders and
                      beadweavers are Russian and Japanese, but couldn't turn up anything beyond
                      modern art. I thought that I'd see much more than I have, thereby prompting
                      my question to the list. I figured someone would have seen something along
                      the way and would be able to share it.

                      I've seen prayer beads, crude strands of rock for necklaces and netsuke. I
                      was just amazed that such an artistic culture (who seem to put a lot of
                      spiritual value on certain stones and elements) wouldn't show beads more
                      prominantly and assumed that I was just missing some essential step in my
                      research.

                      It makes sense, though, that if they lived in their clothing and sat
                      directly on floors, that they wouldn't incorporate annoying rocks into
                      garments. Talk about the princess and the pea! I just don't understand how
                      they would have gold-leafed their clothes but not have sewn in something
                      shiney.

                      But what about hats, hairpins or lanyards? How about pearls? They were
                      popular in China and India.

                      I'm just curious.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 7 10:50 PM
                        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa Russell" <virusq@...> wrote:

                        > I wanted to incorporate something I enjoy into the SCA and give
                        > myself a project that I could research and learn from instead of
                        > just spending a bunch of money on a crafting materials that would
                        > never leave a box.

                        Tsk tsk. You, my dear lady, should check out a collegium or university
                        type event in your area. I've had the opportunity to try my hand at
                        wood carving (liked it a lot, explains the sensu experiments, doesn't
                        it?), terra cotta sculpture (liked it a lot), metalwork (so so),
                        lampwork bead making (hated it), fingerloop braiding.... First hit
                        might even be free or only include a modest materials fee. You might
                        find something you like.

                        Certain types of bead work ARE appropriate to certain cultures.
                        (Byzantium and Elizabethan England are two I can think of.)
                        Unfortunately Japan isn't one of them.

                        > I'd love to do embroidery or painting, but I don't have the patience
                        > for either.
                        Beading would make me psychotic. ;->

                        > I've seen prayer beads, crude strands of rock for necklaces and
                        > netsuke. I was just amazed that such an artistic culture (who seem
                        > to put a lot of spiritual value on certain stones and elements)
                        > wouldn't show beads more prominantly and assumed that I was just
                        > missing some essential step in my research.
                        Many of those spiritual and intellectual values are rooted in China.
                        Say that an ancient Chinese Buddhist text makes its way to Japan and
                        says The Shiny Happy Rock of Foo cures dandruff and brings harmony.
                        Now, they don't have Shiny Happy Rocks of Foo in Japan because they
                        only come from Foo which is practically in Tibet and nobody in Japan
                        has ever seen one, but that doesn't mean that Japanese Buddhists
                        aren't going to revere the properties of the Shiny Happy Rock of Foo
                        if they ever happen to stub a toe on something that suddenly gives
                        them a good hair day. And when the Emperor closes the country and
                        stuff stops coming in from China, your chances of ever getting your
                        hands on a Shiny Happy are pretty darn slim. Yes, I'm being facetious,
                        but this explains why you can find tigers in the Japanese Zodiac when
                        they are not an indigenous species to that part of Asia.

                        > I just don't understand how they would have gold-leafed their
                        > clothes but not have sewn in something shiney.
                        They had other ways of doing shiny. BTW, that gold leaf technique is
                        called surihaku, and it started as a way to fake a very hard-to-get
                        Chinese brocade known as kinran that uses gold thread. And gold leaf
                        does flake off (though it doesn't scratch up the floor or rip up the
                        mats) but the whole falling-cherry-blossom-as-metaphor-for-the
                        impermanence-of-existence makes it that much more beautiful and highly
                        prized.)

                        > But what about hats, hairpins or lanyards? How about pearls? They
                        were
                        > popular in China and India.

                        http://www.iz2.or.jp/fukusyoku/wayou/6.htm shows a Heian court lady
                        dressed up for the most formal occasion and she has a gold comb in her
                        hair with some danglies. That's about the only time I've seen one.
                        Mostly, court or warrior-class women in period wore their hair very
                        simply, long and straight, perhaps tied in a loose ponytail with - get
                        this - plain white paper. (Simple, subtle, elegant, does not detract
                        from the exquisite display of one's silks -or beautiful hair.) This
                        lady is dressed for her wedding - no deely-bobs in sight:
                        http://www.iz2.or.jp/fukusyoku/wayou/12.htm

                        I think the hats Solveig-hime mentioned might be for men. The court
                        class wore a variety of hats, often denoting rank and/or formality of
                        occasion. (Solveig-hime? Any more clues on this?)

                        I also belong to a board called Immortal Geisha. I took the liberty of
                        posting a request to see if anyone knew of bead embellishment on
                        modern kimono or obi, and we got a rather interesting example, which
                        is dated "Showa" (1926-1989). Here's the link:
                        http://www.immortalgeisha.com/ig_bb/viewtopic.php?t=3558&highlight=

                        Here's a recent discussion on wearing jewelry with traditional kimono.
                        I include it because you may find it interesting.
                        http://www.immortalgeisha.com/ig_bb/viewtopic.php?t=3102&highlight=jewelry

                        Sorry not to have better news for you. Something may yet turn up, but
                        my gut feeling is that it's rather unlikely.

                        Saionji no Hanae,
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 8 2:20 PM

                          > But what about hats, hairpins or lanyards? How about pearls? They
                          > were
                          > popular in China and India.
                          As I mentioned before, there were some ornamented hats inspired by
                          Chinese models if you go back far enough. As for hat pins, no you
                          should not expect that. Hats were secured with cords. I do not know
                          about gold leaf applied to clothing, but there was highly decorated
                          brocade.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 8 2:28 PM

                            > I think the hats Solveig-hime mentioned might be for men. The court
                            > class wore a variety of hats, often denoting rank and/or formality of
                            > occasion. (Solveig-hime? Any more clues on this?)

                            Well, for example, there is the coronation hat of the emperor depicted
                            in one on the Monumenta Nipponica texts on Japanese enthronement
                            ritual. There is also a variety of other hats worn by court officials.
                            If you go back far enough, you may find some of these officials being
                            women. One woman served twice as emperor.

                            > Here's a recent discussion on wearing jewelry with traditional kimono.
                            > I include it because you may find it interesting.
                            > http://www.immortalgeisha.com/ig_bb/viewtopic.php?
                            > t=3102&highlight=jewelry

                            The tea ceremony and, if I recall correctly, the incense ceremony as
                            well pretty much requires you to leave all jewelry at home.

                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 8 3:05 PM
                              Noble Cousin!

                              Greetings from Solveig! You can take a look at a picture of a "benkan"
                              from page 250 of The Emergence of Japanese Kingship by Joan R. Piggott.
                              Stanford University Press, 1997.

                              http://137.143.148.234/japan/benkan.pdf

                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 8 4:12 PM
                                Noble Cousin!

                                Greetings from Solveig! You may have an easier time viewing:

                                http://137.143.148.234/japan/benkan.jpg