Re: [SCA-JML] Digest Number 2081

  • Robert Andrade
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6, 2006
      Greetings Noble Cousin:

      I for one am greatly looking forward to the fruits of your efforts :)

      Yoarashi no Keikentaka
      Amateur Historian

      >Message: 1
      > Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 22:49:46 -0400
      > From: Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...>
      >Subject: Re: Japanese food history on-line
      >
      >Noble Cousin!
      >
      >Greetings from Solveig!
      >

      >The article in the Cambridge Encyclopedia is by Naomichi Ishige.
      >Unfortunately, it leaves out a lot and over simplifies several things.
      >The really depressing part of the article is the brevity of the
      >bibliography. I am not saying that I can produce better, but I am
      >working on a brief monograph on Japanese Food and Food Culture. And, it
      >will cost you less than Ishige's book. That I can promise.
      >
      > Your Humble Servant
      > Solveig Throndardottir
      > Amateur Scholar

    • Caroline Foster
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 6, 2006
        > I for one am greatly looking forward to the fruits of your efforts :)
        >
        > Yoarashi no Keikentaka
        > Amateur Historian

        Yeah! And do try to find a reputable/reliable publisher for your
        earnest efforts. Amateur is as amateur does.
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 6, 2006

          > Yeah! And do try to find a reputable/reliable publisher for your
          > earnest efforts. Amateur is as amateur does.
          That is a lot easier said than done. Unless you have published
          something, you may not be aware just how weird the publishing business
          can be. A lot of university presses and other scholarly publishing
          houses basically expect you to give them all rights to your manuscript
          assuming that your writing was supported by grants and stuff.
          Commercial publishers do pay for rights, but they are generally not
          particularly interested in titles that will sell small quantities for a
          long time. Some commercial publishers of textbooks do pay royalties and
          there are some people making decent livings off of writing textbooks,
          but that is not so much the case for monographs. The Society itself
          publishes things, but it is solidly committed to a subscription model
          and is consequently pretty much incapable of publishing anything more
          ambitious than an issue of Complete Anachronist. I am quite certain of
          this last factoid as at one point I proposed a longer monograph series
          to the Board of Directors. There are actually several longer works
          circulating in the Society which would benefit from a change of heart
          by the Board, but I do not expect them to do so.