Re: [SCA-JML] Japanese food history on-line

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4 9:04 PM

      Greetings from Solveig! The Cambridge World History of Food is
      seriously neat, but it is hardly cheap. The two volume set costs
      $225.00.

    • Tim McShane
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4 9:40 PM
        Your Ladyship;

        Greetings from Solveig! The Cambridge World History of Food is
        seriously neat, but it is hardly cheap. The two volume set costs
        $225.00.

        True enough! But, I thought it was very decent of them to provide the Japanese chapter for free on-line!

        - Otani (Shiro) Uchiyasu

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5 7:49 PM

          > For those of you who might be looking for a source on Japanese food
          > history, without forking over $150 for Ishige's book;
          >
          > http://www.cambridge.org/us/books/kiple/japan.htm
          >
          > - Otani (Shiro) Uchiyasu

          The article in the Cambridge Encyclopedia is by Naomichi Ishige.
          Unfortunately, it leaves out a lot and over simplifies several things.
          The really depressing part of the article is the brevity of the
          bibliography. I am not saying that I can produce better, but I am
          working on a brief monograph on Japanese Food and Food Culture. And, it
          will cost you less than Ishige's book. That I can promise.

        • oddpandora
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 6 6:19 PM
            wrote:

            > Noble Cousin!
            >
            > Greetings from Solveig!
            >
            > > For those of you who might be looking for a source on Japanese food
            > > history, without forking over $150 for Ishige's book;
            > >
            > > http://www.cambridge.org/us/books/kiple/japan.htm
            > >
            > > - Otani (Shiro) Uchiyasu
            >
            > The article in the Cambridge Encyclopedia is by Naomichi Ishige.
            > Unfortunately, it leaves out a lot and over simplifies several things.
            > The really depressing part of the article is the brevity of the
            > bibliography. I am not saying that I can produce better, but I am
            > working on a brief monograph on Japanese Food and Food Culture. And, it
            > will cost you less than Ishige's book. That I can promise.
            >
            > Your Humble Servant
            > Solveig Throndardottir
            > Amateur Scholar

            > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM, CoS, Fleur |
            > | mailto:nostrand@... | mailto:Solveig@... |

            Thank you very much, I was just looking for something like this
            -Christina Potter