Japanese food history on-line

  • Tim McShane
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4, 2006
      For those of you who might be looking for a source on Japanese food history, without forking over $150 for Ishige's book;

      http://www.cambridge.org/us/books/kiple/japan.htm

      - Otani (Shiro) Uchiyasu

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4, 2006

        Greetings from Solveig! The Cambridge World History of Food is
        seriously neat, but it is hardly cheap. The two volume set costs
        $225.00.

      • Tim McShane
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 4, 2006
          Your Ladyship;

          Greetings from Solveig! The Cambridge World History of Food is
          seriously neat, but it is hardly cheap. The two volume set costs
          $225.00.

          True enough! But, I thought it was very decent of them to provide the Japanese chapter for free on-line!

          - Otani (Shiro) Uchiyasu

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 5, 2006

            > For those of you who might be looking for a source on Japanese food
            > history, without forking over $150 for Ishige's book;
            >
            > http://www.cambridge.org/us/books/kiple/japan.htm
            >
            > - Otani (Shiro) Uchiyasu

            The article in the Cambridge Encyclopedia is by Naomichi Ishige.
            Unfortunately, it leaves out a lot and over simplifies several things.
            The really depressing part of the article is the brevity of the
            bibliography. I am not saying that I can produce better, but I am
            working on a brief monograph on Japanese Food and Food Culture. And, it
            will cost you less than Ishige's book. That I can promise.

          • oddpandora
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 6, 2006
              wrote:

              > Noble Cousin!
              >
              > Greetings from Solveig!
              >
              > > For those of you who might be looking for a source on Japanese food
              > > history, without forking over $150 for Ishige's book;
              > >
              > > http://www.cambridge.org/us/books/kiple/japan.htm
              > >
              > > - Otani (Shiro) Uchiyasu
              >
              > The article in the Cambridge Encyclopedia is by Naomichi Ishige.
              > Unfortunately, it leaves out a lot and over simplifies several things.
              > The really depressing part of the article is the brevity of the
              > bibliography. I am not saying that I can produce better, but I am
              > working on a brief monograph on Japanese Food and Food Culture. And, it
              > will cost you less than Ishige's book. That I can promise.
              >
              > Your Humble Servant
              > Solveig Throndardottir
              > Amateur Scholar

              > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM, CoS, Fleur |
              > | mailto:nostrand@... | mailto:Solveig@... |

              Thank you very much, I was just looking for something like this
              -Christina Potter