Re: [SCA-JML] WWII info. (was piracy)

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 13, 2006

      Greetings from Solveig! Oh the hazards of Russian weapons terminology.
      Yes, you are right, a lot of Russian weapons are named after the
      developers. However, I have even met a WW-II partisan who referred to
      his weapon as a Kalashnikov. He also had an accordian. Yes, the musical
      instrument. Regardless, my informant claimed that they KGB units were
      armed with sub-machine guns. Maybe they were old Thompson designs.

      > The Soviet political officers and Commisariate were in charge of
      > shooting deserters, though IIRC there were some units formed to deal
      > with entire conscript units that went AWOL.

      Yes, there were embedded political officers who also had that
      responsibility.

      > British Officers were enpowered to shoot deserters, enough so that I
      > recall the nasty note that the standard issue Webly revolvers of the
      > officers only killed if you shot people in the back. Though this might
      > have been a hold over from WWI, British desertion in WWII was not as
      > common.

      Remember, I was not primarily writing about British officers shooting
      British soldiers, but about British officers shooting Commonwealth
      soldiers. Apparently there was enough of that going on that there is
      still ill-feeling about it in Australia and New Zealand.