Re: Re: Japanese piracy and various

  • James Eckman
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10, 2006
      > From: "Rick Johnson" <rikjohnson@...>
      >
      >How true.
      >For a truely maritime nation, the info on medieval Japanese ships is woefully inadequate.

      Maritime nation means blue-water to me. The Japanese until recently
      never had much in the way of ocean going ships, instead they had a
      plethora of light coastal craft which weren't very useful against real
      navies. It's one of the reasons that Korea was not conquered permanently
      the first few times. Their navy kicked butt! There were some decent
      ships made late period but these were few and far between.

      >And as sail technology in Asia quickly advanced to a very high level then stopped (as did the Arab ships), there may be little difference between of 15th century Junk and a 19th century junk.

      There are several good histories on this subject and from my
      recollection this is true.

      > From: sigrune@...
      >Subject: Re: Japanese piracy (In period)
      >

      >Considering that some of the incidents/situations that can be considered the causes to the rise of the samurai were in part brought about by pirate activity.

      They are usually seen as an adjunct I think. Commented on but not really
      the heart of the action.

      > From: Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...>
      >
      >Noble Cousin!
      >
      >Greetings from Solveig!
      >

      >Wasn't the war with Kaiser Wilhelm called "The Great War", "The War to
      >End War", and later on WW-I ??

      Yes and I suspect everyone on this list knows it ;) However the average
      American does not from my experience with public history shows.

      > From: "Rick Johnson" <rikjohnson@...>
      >

      >I find this idea to be absolutly fascinating and my Irish nature wants to believe that the Brits could easily be capable of such a plan.
      >Is it true?

      One word, Gallipoli.