Assistance requested

  • Randy Strauss
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 9, 2006
      Hey everyone,

      I'm really new to this group, but not so new to the society. I've been an on again, off again hanger on for quite some years. I'd like to specifically ask the list's advice on two issues...

      First of all, for any of you doing a Sengoku period persona, are there any groups local to Verona/Montclair NJ? I find that I can read books and websites all I want, but when actually trying to make something I tend to learn better if I can hold the object and poke at it a bit. I'm a hands-on kinda guy.

      Just as an example, many of the sites giving information about the construction of Inro are a bit hard to follow from my perspective. It'd help if I could find someone local that makes the items in question just so that I can hold one and poke about. I find visits to museums to be inspirational....but they don't usually let you fondle the trinkets.

      Also, I noted that when I signed up for this list, there's an xml tag on the yahoo page. Can you please offer opinions on various gators and whether or not these aggregators cut down on your reading time? I tend to subscribe to too many mailing lists and then unsubscribe from most of them due to reading time constraints. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated as I haven't gotten so far as to download any of the various programs yet.

      Thank you,
      Rand
      Not the Average American
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 10, 2006
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Randy Strauss <rjstrauss@...> wrote:
        > First of all, for any of you doing a Sengoku period persona, are
        there any groups local to Verona/Montclair NJ?

        http://www.settmourswamp.eastkingdom.org/
        http://rustedwoodlands.eastkingdom.org/

        These are the two largest groups local to you. I think you're actually
        in the Swamp. I no longer live in the East so I don't know who's
        active and doing Japanese in the Swamp. However, Sir Tanaka Raiko
        lives in West Milford (Rusted Woodlands) and may be able to help.

        Saionji no Hanae
        Province of the Mists
        West Kingdom
      • James Eckman
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 10, 2006
          > From: Randy Strauss <rjstrauss@...>
          >
          >Thank you,
          >Rand
          >Not the Average American

          Being associated with the SCA makes one automatically atypical ;)

          Jim Eckman
        • Sonny Scott
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 24, 2010
            I have found an old book called Japan and China - Marquis ITO Edition. Book
            number 45 of 160 registered copies.

            The problem is that someone cut the copyright page out of the book for some
            reason, and I can't identify the author or when it was published. It is a book
            of Wares with several color plates.

            Does this sound familiar to anyone?

          • JL Badgley
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 24, 2010
              On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 7:01 AM, Sonny Scott <onesoni@...> wrote:

              > I have found an old book called Japan and China - Marquis ITO Edition. Book
              > number 45 of 160 registered copies.

              How old is the book? It sounds possibly that Marquis ITO refers to
              Ito Hirobumi.

              -Ii
            • sekinakagawa@aol.com
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 24, 2010
                I was just reading about that because of the topic.

                Humbly,
                Sukeie

                To ask a question may be a moments' shame,
                But not to ask and remain ignorant, is a life long shame.

                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 24, 2010
                  I can't tell how old it is because the copyright page was cut out. It is the
                  only damage to the book.

                  Sewn bound.

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 24, 2010
                    On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 8:50 AM, Sonny Scott <onesoni@...> wrote:
                    > I can't tell how old it is because the copyright page was cut out. It is the
                    > only damage to the book.
                    >

                    > Sewn bound.

                    Are you sure there ever *was* a copyright page?

                    Does it look like it was printed modernly, or is it older? E.g. are
                    all of the letters lined up correctly, or are there
                    problems/smudges/etc.? Sewn binding--so it is open at both ends, or
                    is it wrapped (I don't know the bookbinding terms here)? Does it
                    appear to be late 20th C. or does the printing appear more like
                    something you'd expect in the early 20th C or even late 19th C.

                    Do you have pictures?

                    -Ii
                  • Sonny Scott
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 24, 2010
                      I have no idea. The pages are uneven, but the typeset seems consistent. The page
                      that seems to be removed is directly connected to the title page. The cut also
                      cut through part of the content page, so I'm guessing a razor blade of some
                      type. The only thing I can think that might be a reason, might be something of a
                      personal note. The 45 is hand written in a style that reminds me of pen and ink
                      well.

                      I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

                      There is a book plate in the front of the book with the name "Helen Biddle
                      Griscom Bettle"

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 25, 2010

                        > Are you sure there ever *was* a copyright page?
                        Have you looked at the back of the book for publication information
                        such as the printer and the printers address? Japanese copyright
                        information is not necessarily where you are used to looking. There
                        may be a stamp, seal impression, or a rectangular box with writing
                        printed in it appearing on the page.
                        > Does it appear to be late 20th C. or does the printing appear more
                        > like
                        > something you'd expect in the early 20th C or even late 19th C.
                        It is unlikely to date from much later than 1952 or even 1945 if it is
                        using the title Marquis anywhere in the book.

                      • LJonthebay
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 25, 2010
                          Amazon.com has a somewhat cryptic listing as they don't actually have the thing in stock:
                          http://www.amazon.com/Oriental-Japan-China-Vol-Marquis/dp/B00227B0A8/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1285432376&sr=1-1

                          Publisher is listed as J.C. Millet with a publication date of 1900 and an ASIN# of B00227B0A8.

                          Googling the ASIN did not help.

                          Worldcat.org lists a number of titles by Ito, most in Japanese.

                          For what it's worth.

                          Saionji no Hanae
                          Bibliomaniac
                        • deanna.baran
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 25, 2010
                            A quick check of WorldCat isn't bringing up anything with that title. But most of the Marquis Ito books that come up are from 1904, 1907, 1908, so that might help roughly place it. When you say it's a book of Wares, do you mean it's about pottery? Most of the Marquis Ito books I can find are more political in nature. :o( Do you have a page count or a table of contents? Is it in English or Japanese? etc.

                            -Deanna

                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 25, 2010
                              In English - yes Pottery, 450 pages.

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 25, 2010
                                Is there any indication that it's a volume in a larger set? If I had to guess, perhaps you have:

                                Volume VIII, Keramic art (450 p)

                                I found a digitized copy at:
                                http://catalog.hathitrust.org/api/volumes/oclc/989755.html

                                (click on v.8)

                                I'm finding a series that's referred to as "Oriental Series Japan and China Its History Arts and Literature", or various permutations of that. There are also lots of different "special editions" and "limited print run" versions. I was able to find the 12-volume Marquis Ito edition set (#99/160) at:

                                http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=2567589583&searchurl=bsi%3D210%26kn%3Dmarquis%2Bito%26x%3D0%26y%3D0

                                You can compare the physical description of their product to what you have. However, there is also an 8-vol Marquis Ito edition catalogued as well, also in a run of 160.

                                Looking at WorldCat, I was able to find:

                                Japan, its history, arts, and literature.
                                F Brinkley <----(Frank Brinkley)

                                1901-1902 [****** ed.].
                                English Book 12 v. plates (part col.) fold. maps. (part col.) 24 cm.
                                Boston, J.B. Millet Co.

                                Contents: v. 1-8. Japan, its history, arts, and literature.--v. 9-12. China, its history, arts, and literature.

                                Note(s): Folded map inside back cover, v. 12./ Each volume with watercolor reproduction frontispiece./ Includes indexes (v. 8 and 12).

                                Note(s): "Limited to one-hundred and sixty numbered and registered copies, of which this is number 85."/ Folded map inside back cover, v. 12./ Each volume with original watercolor frontispiece, executed on silk and inlaid into stiff paper, and an original watercolor on silk crepe mounted on the front and back free end papers./ Includes indexes. (v. 8 and 12).

                                ****** - I'm finding lots of different 1901-published editions listed. Some of it might be cataloguing inconsistencies; others might be the publisher trying to push lots of copies. ^_~ So far, I've found:
                                * A library edition
                                * A special artists' edition
                                * The Marquis Ito edition (12 volume set) (limited to 160 copies)
                                * The Marquis Ito edition (8 volume set) (limited to 160 copies)
                                * The author's edition (limited to 1,000 copies)
                                * A memorial edition (limited to 1,000 copies)
                                * A 10-volume version "Special Ex Libris, monogram and extra illustrated copy, printed, decorated, and bound for Florence A. Sanborn."/ In slipcases.
                                * A Satsuma edition (limited to 500 copies)
                                * A very cool Lotus edition (limited to 26 copies) (Limited to twenty-six lettered and registered copies. Letter U."/ Folded map inside back cover, v. 12./ Each volume with original watercolor frontispiece, executed on silk and inlaid into stiff paper, and an original watercolor on silk crepe mounted on the front and back free end papers./ Bound in dark green levant morocco and printed on Japan vellum./ Includes indexes. (v. 8 and 12).
                                * The Ambassadors' edition (limited to 750 copies)
                                * The Okuma edition (limited to 100 copies)
                                * A one-volume salesman's mockup (Salesman's mock-up containing various leaves of the full 12-volume work, bound together./ Bound in red leather, stamped in gold; decorated cloth-covered endpapers; top edge gilt.)
                                * The Viceroy edition (limited to 50 copies)
                                * A Tokugawa edition
                                * And probably more. :oP The J.B. Millet Co. marketers were working hard that year. :o) Not that any of that's really relevant, but I did want to point out (a) that there are two different volume counts for the "Marquis Ito" edition; and (b) that there was a metric ton of "special limited editions" churned out in 1901 and 1902.

                                -Deanna

                                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Sonny Scott <onesoni@...> wrote:

                                > In English - yes Pottery, 450 pages.
                              • Elaine Koogler
                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 25, 2010
                                  DROOL............

                                  Hey, I've got a birthday coming up...sigh...not likely. A little too
                                  rich for my purse, even though it's a great deal.

                                  Kiri

                                  --
                                  "/It is only with the heart /that one can see clearly; what is essential
                                  is invisible to the eye."

                                • deanna.baran
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 25, 2010
                                    At least you can download 8/12 PDF's for free at the link below. :o) I think I saw some Googlebooks links in WorldCat as well.

                                    A lot of old books are being reissued via POD technology, so you can get a cheapie paperback copy for $10/volume through abebooks. Not exactly the same as having morocco leather and gilt on your shelf, and the image quality is always a toss-up for those new reproductions, but you might find the volume that interests you the most and give it a shot. ^_^

                                    -Deanna

                                    > DROOL............
                                    >
                                    > Hey, I've got a birthday coming up...sigh...not likely. A little too
                                    > rich for my purse, even though it's a great deal.
                                    >
                                    > Kiri
                                    >
                                    > On 9/25/2010 4:49 PM, deanna.baran wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Is there any indication that it's a volume in a larger set? If I had
                                    > > to guess, perhaps you have:
                                    > >
                                    > > Volume VIII, Keramic art (450 p)
                                    > >
                                    > > I found a digitized copy at:
                                    > > http://catalog.hathitrust.org/api/volumes/oclc/989755.html
                                    > >
                                    > > (click on v.8)

                                  • Sonny Scott
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 25, 2010
                                      That's it. The 160 run. Book number 45 of 160. Thank you.

                                      The book really isn't of interest to me but now I know better what I have.

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 1, 2010
                                        Thank you -

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Oct 1, 2010
                                          Fascinating. I posted this on Saturday 9/25....

                                          > Amazon.com has a somewhat cryptic listing as they don't actually have the thing in stock:
                                          > http://www.amazon.com/Oriental-Japan-China-Vol-Marquis/dp/B00227B0A8/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1285432376&sr=1-1

                                          SNIPPED