Re: Fabric choice for Kimono, Hakama, Obi and Tabi

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 9 9:27 PM
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "John Hidalgo" <oniyama@...> wrote:

      > Hello All,
      >
      > I am looking at making period for myself and my students. I was
      > wondering what would be appropriate fabric for Kimono, Hakama, Obi and
      > Tabi. I have seen hemp mentioned but I am not sure where to find
      > actual hemp fabric. We will be looking to make soldier's grade
      > clothing, not anything fancy. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

      Hemp is sometimes weirdly expensive in the US (people insist on
      smoking the plant it comes from). If the sources previously mentioned
      don't suit, linen is an excellent "fake", having some of the same
      properties of hemp. http:///www.fabrics-store.com carries a good
      selection in a variety of weights and colors.

      Saionji no Hanae,
      Province of the Mists, West Kingdom