Fabric choice for Kimono, Hakama, Obi and Tabi

  • John Hidalgo
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 9, 2006
      Hello All,

      I am looking at making period for myself and my students. I was
      wondering what would be appropriate fabric for Kimono, Hakama, Obi and
      Tabi. I have seen hemp mentioned but I am not sure where to find
      actual hemp fabric. We will be looking to make soldier's grade
      clothing, not anything fancy. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

      Take care,
      John Hidalgo
      Hiroshi Kuroyama
      www.texasshinto.org
      www.roundrockbujinkan.com
    • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 9, 2006
        On 3/9/06, John Hidalgo <oniyama@...> wrote:

        > Hello All,
        >
        > I am looking at making period for myself and my students. I was
        > wondering what would be appropriate fabric for Kimono, Hakama, Obi and
        > Tabi. I have seen hemp mentioned but I am not sure where to find
        > actual hemp fabric. We will be looking to make soldier's grade
        > clothing, not anything fancy. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

        http://pickhemp.com

        I have a kosode made from their fabric, and I love it. I've also tried some
        hemp/silk blends--those are much more delicate.

        You can also go with linen, as good linen will have a similar consistency.

      • John Hidalgo
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 9, 2006
          Thanks!

          Take care,
          John Hidalgo
          www.texasshinto.org
          www.roundrockbujinkan.com
          www.roundrockbujinkan.com/kyudo
          www.lonestarsumo.org
          "Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find
          your liberty." - Frank Herbert, Dune Chronicles
          "Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there. Wherever
          I am, anyone in need has a friend. Whenever I return home, everyone is
          happy I am there." - Robert L. Humphrey

          > > I am looking at making period for myself and my students. I was
          > > wondering what would be appropriate fabric for Kimono, Hakama, Obi and
          > > Tabi. I have seen hemp mentioned but I am not sure where to find
          > > actual hemp fabric. We will be looking to make soldier's grade
          > > clothing, not anything fancy. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
          > >

          > http://pickhemp.com
          >
          > I have a kosode made from their fabric, and I love it. I've also tried
          some
          > hemp/silk blends--those are much more delicate.
          >
          > You can also go with linen, as good linen will have a similar consistency.
          >
          > -Ii

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Elaine Koogler
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 9, 2006
            John Hidalgo wrote:
            > Thanks!
            >
            > Take care,
            > John Hidalgo
            > www.texasshinto.org
            > www.roundrockbujinkan.com
            > www.roundrockbujinkan.com/kyudo
            > www.lonestarsumo.org
            > "Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and
            > find
            > your liberty." - Frank Herbert, Dune Chronicles
            > "Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.
            > Wherever
            > I am, anyone in need has a friend. Whenever I return home, everyone is
            > happy I am there." - Robert L. Humphrey

            John,
            I also recommend Dharma Trading Company (www.dharmatrading.com) as an
            excellent source for all kinds of period fabrics, including hemp. All
            of it is either bleached white or natural, so it can be dyed. You might
            want to compare prices with the company Ii-dono recommended.

            Kiri
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 9, 2006
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "John Hidalgo" <oniyama@...> wrote:

              > Hello All,
              >
              > I am looking at making period for myself and my students. I was
              > wondering what would be appropriate fabric for Kimono, Hakama, Obi and
              > Tabi. I have seen hemp mentioned but I am not sure where to find
              > actual hemp fabric. We will be looking to make soldier's grade
              > clothing, not anything fancy. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

              Hemp is sometimes weirdly expensive in the US (people insist on
              smoking the plant it comes from). If the sources previously mentioned
              don't suit, linen is an excellent "fake", having some of the same
              properties of hemp. http:///www.fabrics-store.com carries a good
              selection in a variety of weights and colors.

              Saionji no Hanae,
              Province of the Mists, West Kingdom