RE: Japanese Piracy

  • Rilm Sabaf
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 8, 2006
      Hi Rick,

      I'm not sure if this is the same essay, but it's a fun read either way:

      http://www.historycooperative.org/proceedings/seascapes/shapinsky.html

      Hope this helps!

      Rilm

      > Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 17:47:15 GMT
      > From: "Rick Johnson" <rikjohnson@...>
      >Subject: Re: Re: Japanese piracy
      >
      > >>I found a 20 page essay online that a professor did while he was a
      >student at the University of Michigan. His name is Peter D. Shapinsky.
      >
      >I don't suppose that the UoM put it on-line? or that a copy exists in an
      >up-loadable form?
      >
      >So far, 20 pages is a lot of info.
      >
      >Also, what kind of junks did they use? By tokagawa times the Junk was so
      >restricted as to be totally unseaworthy and the info on the differences
      >between the Japanese and Chinese Junk is far and few.
      >

      >Rick Johnson, PO Box 40451, Tucson, Az. 85717
      >http://www.geocities.com/DesertHenge
      >http://www.geocities.com/RikJohnson_ERB
      >http://www.geocities.com/RikJohnson_RLJ

    • Murakami Yoshiatsu
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 9, 2006
        That's the essay alright... I'm still waiting to hear back from
        Peter (he's a professor now), and hopefully he can point us to his
        source material. :)

        Yoshi

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 10, 2006

          > That's the essay alright... I'm still waiting to hear back from
          > Peter (he's a professor now), and hopefully he can point us to his
          > source material. :)

          While he may have more sources now, have you considering looking at the
          notes section at the end of the article where he dutifully lists his
          sources? I'm confident that the sources which he has already given are
          more than enough to keep you busy for a while.

        • Robert Andrade
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 11, 2006
            Noble Sir:

            What little I know disagrees with the truely Maritime portion of your statement. I could be wrong however what I read points to the use of ships and the like as an extension of fishing that was being done. The military persay was not involved 'on a grand scale' and the stories I have read...Again this is based on what little I have read...points to pushing to the sea as a way of getting away from what was considered as oppression or to save
            ones life.

            As I have said this is based on the scant amount of information I have found and not the result of an exhaustive search into the subject.

            your humble servant
            Yoarashi no Keikentaka

            Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 17:49:23 GMT
            From: "Rick Johnson" <rikjohnson@...>
            Subject: Re: Japanese piracy

            How true.
            For a truely maritime nation, the info on medieval Japanese ships is woefully inadequate.

            there. For a while I was into a naval miniatures gaming system and
            bought a few of them. You can get plans for steam powered junks and
            similar things. Finding earlier stuff is a bit more difficult. You
            don't even get a lot at the National museum at Ueno. In contrast, the
            National Museum in Seoul has a scale model of the turtle.