Possible Heian SCAdian in Oregon

  • Leah Lloyd
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 28 12:01 PM
      Thank you for everyone who offered contacts and assistance for this person in Oregon. I have yet to hear back from them, but will kepp all of this information just in case :)

      Saionji no Hanae/Jehanne de Wodeford...I do remember that name!

      Danabren aka Kuro Kamakiri
      East

    • Hera Davidson
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 28 1:51 PM
        Hi, thank you all for your advice.
        Saionji: I would love those notes at any point that
        you wish to send them to me.
        I have had a go at making a mock-up of a hitoe in
        cotton which looked alright, but I'm not sure that the
        shape was correct. My hakama attempts have tended to
        be on the catastrophic side.
        Solveig: Finding even vaguely period looking silk is
        near impossible here. There is one store in
        Christchurch (where I live) that sells silk that isn't
        dupion or noil and it retails around 40 to 45 bucks a
        metre. Considering that I worked out that a 50 yard
        bolt from silk connection would cost me around 200
        bucks (minus shipping), I really hope that they are
        still in business.
        Kiri: silkconnection.com is where I went. For some
        reason it will not let me email them. Could I
        possibly ask someone to email them and ask how much it
        would cost to have 2 bolts of silk shippeed to New
        Zealand?
        Cheers, Hera

        http://au.photos.yahoo.com
      • Elaine Koogler
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
          wodeford wrote:

          > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Hera Davidson <nos911@...> wrote:
          >
          > > P.S does anyone know if silk connection is still
          > > working? Everytime I email them it just gets bounced.
          >
          > Pooh. I just checked and Dharma Trading doesn't ship to your part of
          > the world. However, Thai Silks say they do. Check them out at:
          > http://www.thaisilks.com
          >
          > Saionji no Hanae
          > Province of the Mists
          > West Kingdom

          It seems to me that you should be able to contact some silk merchants in
          Hong Kong...it's been a while since I've been there, but I remember
          getting incredible prices on silk...and there was a much greater variety
          than here in the US. I don't have any contacts there now, but there's
          got to be a way you could find them....

          Kiri
        • Hera
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
            Hello
            Saionji: I would love those notes whenever you have the time to send
            them to me. I have (with help) made a mock up hitoe before which
            looked good, but I was unsure about it's accuracy. My hakama attempts
            have been catastrophic.
            Solveig: Silk that isn't noil is near impossible to find here in
            Christchurch. The stuff that is even vaguely appropriate looking
            retails for around 40 to 45 bucks a metre (noil is around $30, maybe
            25 on sale). I estimated that minus shipping, a bolt of 8mm habotai
            would cost me around NZ$220-250 from Silk Connection.
            And I know it's probably a bit snobby, but if you're going to do Heian
            why not do the nobility? I love the stupendously sumptuous amounts of
            fabric and the bad acid trip-like colour combinations.
            Kiri: If you know any names of silk suppliers, could I please have
            them? Even if I have to buy 100 metre bolts it would be worth it, as I
            could easily sell or donate any leftovers to my barony.
            Cheers, Hera
          • Elaine Koogler
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
              Hera wrote:

              > Hello
              > Saionji: I would love those notes whenever you have the time to send
              > them to me. I have (with help) made a mock up hitoe before which
              > looked good, but I was unsure about it's accuracy. My hakama attempts
              > have been catastrophic.
              > Solveig: Silk that isn't noil is near impossible to find here in
              > Christchurch. The stuff that is even vaguely appropriate looking
              > retails for around 40 to 45 bucks a metre (noil is around $30, maybe
              > 25 on sale). I estimated that minus shipping, a bolt of 8mm habotai
              > would cost me around NZ$220-250 from Silk Connection.
              > And I know it's probably a bit snobby, but if you're going to do Heian
              > why not do the nobility? I love the stupendously sumptuous amounts of
              > fabric and the bad acid trip-like colour combinations.
              > Kiri: If you know any names of silk suppliers, could I please have
              > them? Even if I have to buy 100 metre bolts it would be worth it, as I
              > could easily sell or donate any leftovers to my barony.
              > Cheers, Hera

              Sorry...I don't know of any. If you live in Christchurch, there may
              well be a Chinese embassy or consulate there and they may be able to
              help you. I did "google" Chinese silk and found another place you might
              check out...Discount Fabrics USA at
              http://store.yahoo.com/discountfabricsusa/

              You might try searching online as well....

              Kiri