Re: [SCA-JML] Smithsonian Folkways and Global Sound website

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 2006

      Greetings from Solveig! Thank you for posting the site!

      > http://www.smithsonianglobalsound.org/index.aspx

      There is easily stuff here which is a step above using Kodo as a basis
      for recreating Japanese music in the Society. As a note to people
      interested in music:
      1) Avoid Kabuki Music - Kabuki got its start in 1600 and was at the
      time very very different than anything you can get copies of marketed
      as Kabuki.
      2) Generally avoid shakuhachi. It also had its heyday during the Edo
      period.
      3) Avoid shamisen music. Pretty much the same reason.
      4) Avoid electric guitars and anything else obviously modern.
      5) Avoid anything marked as "Enka".
      6) Do seek out Kagura, Dengaku, Gagaku, and Noh music. Buddhist chants
      from known temples are also a good bet. Do seek out music performed on:
      sho and biwa.