Possible Heian SCAdian in Oregon

  • Leah Lloyd
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 25, 2006
      Greetings,

      I have been contacted by a person in Oregon naming themselves "tsuyujimo" who says that they have been interested in participating in the SCA, but did not realize that Japanese personae were permitted. I have assured her (?) that they are, regardless of some nay-sayers.

      Is there someone in the Oregon area who I could direct her to for local guidance, or should I just encourage membership and particpation generally?

      Danabren aka Kuro Kamakiri
      East Kingdom

    • Otagiri Tatsuzou
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 25, 2006
        > Is there someone in the Oregon area who I could direct her to for
        local guidance, or should I just encourage membership and particpation
        generally?

        > Danabren aka Kuro Kamakiri
        > East Kingdom

        Kuro-dono!

        The SCA Japanese Membership Map has been built to help address this
        question. I see three contacts in An Tir, although none in Oregon.
        http://rhinohide.cx/tousando/clanmap/html/clanmap.html

        Note that after a hiatus of several months, I am actively working on
        updates to the map now. You can see my development version at:
        http://rhinohide.cx/tousando/clanmap/html/maptest.html

        Otagiri Tatsuzou
        Whose fingers are in too many pies.
        http://tousando.proboards18.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 25, 2006
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Otagiri Tatsuzou" <ronbroberg@...> wrote:

          > Whose fingers are in too many pies.

          That explains the trail of crumbs.....

          Kuro-hime, I'm in the West Kingdom these days, a bit farther south
          than your person, who resides in Rohan, er, I mean, the Danegeld, er I
          mean, An Tir*, but if I can help, feel free to send them to me.

          Saionji no Hanae (whom you might remember as Jehanne de Wodeford once
          upon a time)
          Province of the Mists
          West Kingdom

          *Seriously, they're hardcore into Norse culture up thataway.
        • Park McKellop
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 25, 2006
            That should be Danelaw, silly, Danegelds are Viking steers. ;-)

            Alcyoneus

            wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Otagiri Tatsuzou" <ronbroberg@...> wrote:

            > Whose fingers are in too many pies.

            That explains the trail of crumbs.....

            Kuro-hime, I'm in the West Kingdom these days, a bit farther south
            than your person, who resides in Rohan, er, I mean, the Danegeld, er I
            mean, An Tir*, but if I can help, feel free to send them to me.

            Saionji no Hanae (whom you might remember as Jehanne de Wodeford once
            upon a time)
            Province of the Mists
            West Kingdom

            *Seriously, they're hardcore into Norse culture up thataway.

            ---------------------------------

          • Sarah Thomas
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 25, 2006
              Hello~

              I'm new to the list and have been in the SCA for about 2 years now but am a
              currently in Oregon working on a Japanese Personae as well. Perhaps
              "Tsuyujimo" and I could collaborate? Afterall we need a little variety up
              north here...it seems everyone's a viking ^_^;;

              Cheers,
              Sarah

              --
              Sarah Thomas

              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 25, 2006
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Park McKellop <squire009@...> wrote:

                > That should be Danelaw, silly, Danegelds are Viking steers. ;-)
                Whatever. They wear honkin' gobs of tree sap around their necks and
                itchy wool and think it's fashion. ;->

                Saionji no Hanae
                Province of the Mists
                West Kingdom
              • Park McKellop
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 25, 2006
                  I've seen The 13th Warrior, and their sanitary habits are second to some!

                  Okay, most. ;-)

                  Alcyoneus

                  wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Park McKellop <squire009@...> wrote:

                  > That should be Danelaw, silly, Danegelds are Viking steers. ;-)
                  Whatever. They wear honkin' gobs of tree sap around their necks and
                  itchy wool and think it's fashion. ;->

                  Saionji no Hanae
                  Province of the Mists

                  ---------------------------------

                • Hera Davidson
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 27, 2006
                    Hi!
                    My name is Hera and I would love to do Heian, but I'm
                    a little unsure where to start. I think garb would be
                    the most logical step, but silk is incredibly
                    expensive here.
                    I live in the very depths of the Antipodean Jungles of
                    Lochac and while people here tend to be insanely
                    friendly and helpful, this does not always extend to
                    asian personas.
                    There are (as far as I know) 2 people in my kingdom
                    who are doing Japanese. 1 is stopping as he is no
                    longer interested and the other is a bit slack and
                    asking me questions seems to be his main form of
                    research. Thus I have almost no local people to ask
                    for help or collaboration.
                    Anyway, I didn't mean to whine but I was wondering if
                    I could ask the opinions of the knowledgable people of
                    this list as to where I should start.
                    Cheers, Hera

                    P.S does anyone know if silk connection is still
                    working? Everytime I email them it just gets bounced.

                    http://au.local.yahoo.com
                  • Elaine Koogler
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 27, 2006
                      Hera Davidson wrote:

                      > Hi!
                      > My name is Hera and I would love to do Heian, but I'm
                      > a little unsure where to start. I think garb would be
                      > the most logical step, but silk is incredibly
                      > expensive here.
                      > I live in the very depths of the Antipodean Jungles of
                      > Lochac and while people here tend to be insanely
                      > friendly and helpful, this does not always extend to
                      > asian personas.
                      > There are (as far as I know) 2 people in my kingdom
                      > who are doing Japanese. 1 is stopping as he is no
                      > longer interested and the other is a bit slack and
                      > asking me questions seems to be his main form of
                      > research. Thus I have almost no local people to ask
                      > for help or collaboration.
                      > Anyway, I didn't mean to whine but I was wondering if
                      > I could ask the opinions of the knowledgable people of
                      > this list as to where I should start.
                      > Cheers, Hera
                      >
                      > P.S does anyone know if silk connection is still
                      > working? Everytime I email them it just gets bounced.

                      Well, I believe you have landed in the right place. There are folks on
                      this list who can answer just about any question you might have. And
                      there are a number of Web sites that can be helpful as well...

                      So far as Silk Connection is concerned, I just "googled" it and found
                      that it is still alive and well in California. Try going to
                      www.silkconnection.com, then e-mailing them from there.

                      Also, this list has archives that you can check to find a lot of good
                      information, especially about Heian garb...

                      Kiri
                      (Atlantia)
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 28, 2006
                        Welcome, Hera

                        Stand back - I'm about to dump some links for you to check out:

                        Stand back - I am about to dump a steaming pile of
                        links to
                        Heian clothing resources:
                        http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/
                        http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/japanese/index.html

                        Sadly Kass doesn't have cutting dimensions up for all
                        the layers, but I have a copy of her notes from the
                        old EKCourt page. She's given me permission to pass them on so shoot
                        me a note when you're ready to contemplate construction and I'll dig
                        up the info for you.

                        Pics of the Heian stuff I've done are at
                        http://www.wodefordhall.com/display.htm and prove that
                        you CAN keep it surprisingly simple if you're willing
                        to start with an informal ensemble. And how to "fake"
                        Heian textile effects with fabric paint.

                        http://www.geocities.com/anne_liese_w/Japanese/japindex.htm
                        http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/garb.ch14.html has a
                        pretty good overview of kasane - the color
                        combinations used in women's court dress. Liza Dalby's
                        Kimono: Fashioning Culture also has a good chapter on
                        the subject.

                        These are in Japanese, run them through
                        http://www.google.com/translate_t or Babelfish:

                        http://www.takata-courtrobe.co.jp/en1.htm is from a
                        company that makes reproduction costumes.
                        http://www.kariginu.jp/
                        http://mikusigedono.hp.infoseek.co.jp/mikusigedono/gosinpuku/gosinpuku-hitoe/gos\
                        inpuku-hitoe.htm
                        contains images by a Japanese costumer that look quite
                        good and might give you some ideas.

                        General information on names, modes of address,
                        pastimes and other persona related goodies:
                        http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/miscellany.html

                        Saionji no Hanae
                        Province of the Mists
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 28, 2006
                          Noble Cousin!

                          Greetings from Solveig! Depending on just how rich you want to present
                          yourself as, there are alternatives to silk. These include linen, hemp,
                          raime, and possibly even cotton. Also, I am told that silk is much more
                          cost-effective than people often think, because it is a relatively
                          tough fibre.

                        • Leah Lloyd
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 28, 2006
                            Thank you for everyone who offered contacts and assistance for this person in Oregon. I have yet to hear back from them, but will kepp all of this information just in case :)

                            Saionji no Hanae/Jehanne de Wodeford...I do remember that name!

                            Danabren aka Kuro Kamakiri
                            East

                          • Hera Davidson
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 28, 2006
                              Hi, thank you all for your advice.
                              Saionji: I would love those notes at any point that
                              you wish to send them to me.
                              I have had a go at making a mock-up of a hitoe in
                              cotton which looked alright, but I'm not sure that the
                              shape was correct. My hakama attempts have tended to
                              be on the catastrophic side.
                              Solveig: Finding even vaguely period looking silk is
                              near impossible here. There is one store in
                              Christchurch (where I live) that sells silk that isn't
                              dupion or noil and it retails around 40 to 45 bucks a
                              metre. Considering that I worked out that a 50 yard
                              bolt from silk connection would cost me around 200
                              bucks (minus shipping), I really hope that they are
                              still in business.
                              Kiri: silkconnection.com is where I went. For some
                              reason it will not let me email them. Could I
                              possibly ask someone to email them and ask how much it
                              would cost to have 2 bolts of silk shippeed to New
                              Zealand?
                              Cheers, Hera

                              http://au.photos.yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 28, 2006
                                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Hera Davidson <nos911@...> wrote:

                                > P.S does anyone know if silk connection is still
                                > working? Everytime I email them it just gets bounced.

                                Pooh. I just checked and Dharma Trading doesn't ship to your part of
                                the world. However, Thai Silks say they do. Check them out at:
                                http://www.thaisilks.com

                                Saionji no Hanae
                                Province of the Mists
                                West Kingdom
                              • Elaine Koogler
                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
                                  wodeford wrote:

                                  > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Hera Davidson <nos911@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > P.S does anyone know if silk connection is still
                                  > > working? Everytime I email them it just gets bounced.
                                  >
                                  > Pooh. I just checked and Dharma Trading doesn't ship to your part of
                                  > the world. However, Thai Silks say they do. Check them out at:
                                  > http://www.thaisilks.com
                                  >
                                  > Saionji no Hanae
                                  > Province of the Mists
                                  > West Kingdom

                                  It seems to me that you should be able to contact some silk merchants in
                                  Hong Kong...it's been a while since I've been there, but I remember
                                  getting incredible prices on silk...and there was a much greater variety
                                  than here in the US. I don't have any contacts there now, but there's
                                  got to be a way you could find them....

                                  Kiri
                                • Hera
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
                                    Hello
                                    Saionji: I would love those notes whenever you have the time to send
                                    them to me. I have (with help) made a mock up hitoe before which
                                    looked good, but I was unsure about it's accuracy. My hakama attempts
                                    have been catastrophic.
                                    Solveig: Silk that isn't noil is near impossible to find here in
                                    Christchurch. The stuff that is even vaguely appropriate looking
                                    retails for around 40 to 45 bucks a metre (noil is around $30, maybe
                                    25 on sale). I estimated that minus shipping, a bolt of 8mm habotai
                                    would cost me around NZ$220-250 from Silk Connection.
                                    And I know it's probably a bit snobby, but if you're going to do Heian
                                    why not do the nobility? I love the stupendously sumptuous amounts of
                                    fabric and the bad acid trip-like colour combinations.
                                    Kiri: If you know any names of silk suppliers, could I please have
                                    them? Even if I have to buy 100 metre bolts it would be worth it, as I
                                    could easily sell or donate any leftovers to my barony.
                                    Cheers, Hera
                                  • Elaine Koogler
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
                                      Hera wrote:

                                      > Hello
                                      > Saionji: I would love those notes whenever you have the time to send
                                      > them to me. I have (with help) made a mock up hitoe before which
                                      > looked good, but I was unsure about it's accuracy. My hakama attempts
                                      > have been catastrophic.
                                      > Solveig: Silk that isn't noil is near impossible to find here in
                                      > Christchurch. The stuff that is even vaguely appropriate looking
                                      > retails for around 40 to 45 bucks a metre (noil is around $30, maybe
                                      > 25 on sale). I estimated that minus shipping, a bolt of 8mm habotai
                                      > would cost me around NZ$220-250 from Silk Connection.
                                      > And I know it's probably a bit snobby, but if you're going to do Heian
                                      > why not do the nobility? I love the stupendously sumptuous amounts of
                                      > fabric and the bad acid trip-like colour combinations.
                                      > Kiri: If you know any names of silk suppliers, could I please have
                                      > them? Even if I have to buy 100 metre bolts it would be worth it, as I
                                      > could easily sell or donate any leftovers to my barony.
                                      > Cheers, Hera

                                      Sorry...I don't know of any. If you live in Christchurch, there may
                                      well be a Chinese embassy or consulate there and they may be able to
                                      help you. I did "google" Chinese silk and found another place you might
                                      check out...Discount Fabrics USA at
                                      http://store.yahoo.com/discountfabricsusa/

                                      You might try searching online as well....

                                      Kiri