Re: [SCA-JML] Some questions about Yorois made in Japan.

  • Dean Wayland
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 23, 2006
      Hi Marc,

      > The armour sold by Tozando and Marutake is good quality dress armour. It
      >is NOT designed for combat. I do not know what fencing system you are
      >refering to, but it certainly isn't strong enough for SCA.

      I agree with Mykaru (Hi BTW), that the armour you are looking at won't
      stand up to SCA combat, or to any kind of moderately heavy blow. But if
      you are using a "light" touch contact system for actually hitting the
      target, then it will work.

      I know this because I have one of Kozando's armours, and I use it for
      battle. Our hitting technique always assumes that the actual target is
      unprotected, so the blow itself lands gently. This is why we can get
      away with such a thin armour.

      Even so, I have had to reinforce it, as the body armour was only held
      together by spot welding which burst open when used for violent
      movement. This I have replaced with rivets, and I've inserted an extra
      2mm thick plate in the back to make it fit better and to stiffen the
      whole body armour.

      Kozando's metal work is only 0.8mm thick steel, which although of a
      realistic, but light weight form, is not hardened the way the original
      armours were, so it will dent easily. The plate work of an average 16th
      century samurai body armour would be between 1.5mm to 2mm thick, which
      is very similar to European armour. Most thinner armours were made for
      the ashigaru, but even most of these are between 1.2mm and 1.6mm thick.
      However, the thinnest armour I've ever studied was an early 17th century
      Tatami-dou, that's the folding armour made of small rectangular plates
      held together with mail, and sewn on to a hemp fabric base, where the
      plates were only 0.4mm thick! Again they were shaped and hardened to
      help stop them from bending. The armour was of high quality, and
      probably was used for travelling, although similar armours were used by
      the ashigaru in battle. But then it was better than nothing!

      For myself, my current armour which is 20 years old and I got second
      hand and cheaply, is only a stop gap, when I can afford it, I want to
      get one in a heavier grade, more in keeping with a samurai warrior of
      that era. And one where I don't have to worry about denting It by just
      moving around!

      Good luck and happy armour hunting.

      Dean Wayland
      Head Of The Fight School