Re: Re: Evolution of clothing, was Rick's hakama question

  • James Eckman
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 10, 2006
      > From: Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...>
      >

      >I studied kimonokitsuke at a school for a while. I have yet to
      >encounter velcro, strings, or plastic boomerangs. However, there are a
      >LOT of things to put on correctly and in the correct order.

      A friend of mine's family manufactures kimono in Kyoto, she brought a
      couple over and showed people how to wear them. I wasn't there since it
      was kind of a girl's day off affair, but I was told she made it look
      very easy.

      >Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Solveig's Book of Japanese Names [was NCMJ]
      >

      >Unfortunately, most libraries do not have a lot of my books.

      No, that would be a classic example of a book that must be purchased. I
      have several books published by SCA members none of which will ever be
      in a public library I suspect.

      >One that I purchased for a project recently doesn't even show up in WordCat.

      Nothing shows in WordCat but WorldCat works better ;)

      >One of the things
      >that I learned from doing my dissertation is that you really should
      >consider buying a book which you will keep checked out for over a year.

      I finally broke down and bought a book on seals I kept checking out. It
      was just too handy even if it was $60 for a small book.

      Jim Eckman