Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Use of 'X-ian'

  • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2006
      On 2/4/06, Caroline Foster <way_of_bamboo@...> wrote:

      > I ask with all this apologia in mind, could someone explain to me *
      > why* it is offensive?

      From what I gather based on things people have been telling me, it is
      offensive because of its use as a pejorative in the past. I know, from my
      point of view, I don't care. At the same time, I have been told that, among
      other circles, this has been used as a pejorative by members of the Pagan
      community against Christians and it has given people a similar feeling here,
      regardless of whether or not that is the intended usage. I would liken it
      to the word 'spook', which I used to only think of in terms of a
      ghost/spectre, or else a spy/intelligence operative. It wasn't until I
      moved that I learned it had been a pejorative against African-Americans in
      some areas. From what I can see, this appears to be a similar thing, and
      I'm not sure that the merits of using it as a shortcut outweigh the
      potential harm it can cause in a discussion.

      That said, I don't have any intention, at this time, of killing threads that
      use it or banning people for its use. I just want to make it known that it
      is considered offensive by some people here and that we might want to just
      spell the whole thing out to avoid unneeded confrontation--we are here to
      talk about Japan, after all, and getting into a war about something as silly
      as this (already three messages) seems counter to our purpose.