Stabled horses

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2006
      I'm with Takeda-dono. Retainers are very handy if you need to park
      your ride.

      shows a detail from a Momoyama period (16th c.) screen in the Asian
      Art Museum, San Francisco - sadly, my digital camera was not able to
      cope with focusing on things behind glass, because this is the best of
      the bunch and the others are sadly out of focus.

      Stabled horses were a popular subject in Japanese art. Like this one,
      they're usually depicted cross-tied to ringbolts in standing stalls.
      Like this one, the ties are usually shown as so loose to be what I'd
      normally consider dangerous, allowing the subjects to be depicted in
      various spirited (badly behaved?) poses.

      A horse can be trained to "ground tie" - it's sort of like "stay" for
      dogs, the cue being that the reins or lead line has been dropped to
      the ground.

      Horses can also be taught to put up with being tied to trees, fences,
      ground stakes, etc.
      http://www.cdc.gov/nasd/docs/d000001-d000100/d000025/d000025.html has
      some info on the basics.

      I admit prejudice on the subject. My old Thoroughbred was a mellow
      beast, yet he knew the exact amount of pressure required to break a
      crosstie snap - I hid in the bathroom one day because I wanted to see
      just how he was doing it. As soon as the blacksmith went out to his
      truck for the shoes, Tobe glanced around to see if the coast was
      clear, then jerked his big head sharply to the left (pop!) then to the
      right (pop!) and started ambling down the asphalt.

      Saionji no Hanae
      Province of the Mists
      West Kingdom
      West