Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Population of

  • sigrune@aol.com
    Message 1 of 50 , Feb 1, 2006
      "Tim McShane" <mcshanet@...> writes:
      >Personally, I don't think anyone needs to do any proving of
      >Japanese settlement in Europe to justify Japanese personae in the >SCA, even if the BoD wants to tighten things up.

      To my knowledge the BoD is not out to "tighten things up". The recent debate about the language of the aborted Mission Statement does not to me (and to at least 2 individuals on the BoD) have anything to do with removing non-western european persona, or reducing their ability to play or participate.

      Personally I am interested in researching more about the documentable Japanese in Europe but for a historical information standpoint. (Possible A&S projects??? :sigh: yet another one...)

      At one time (not too long ago) I thought it would be a good idea so I had "ammunition" if someone had a problem with my persona choice. Now however I simply refuse to waste my time and energy to defend myself to people like that. If I did find out about something offical that may affect my choice of persona at either a kingdom or society level, then I will persue an appropriate course of action at that time.

      Life is simply too short, those other people can either get over it or die unhappy.

      -Takeda
    • Park McKellop
      Message 50 of 50 , Feb 5, 2006
        Just think about it...

        You could be a Japanese immigrant/visitor who was acculturating and really admiring all things European, the clothes, the food and the history. Plus, since you were taught by Jesuits, you'd have a decent grasp of the more distant past. Imagine the conversations you could have!

        Templars are awesome! They are totally sweet! And by sweet I mean mega-cool! They had Ultimate Fighting Power! There was this one Templar, who paid a Saracen to stable his horse, and the next morning he found out that his horse had been fed straw, rather than hay! He flipped out! I mean, he totally flipped out! He killed that Saracen, and that was just the start of it! Before he got tired, he'd killed the entire Caliphate! It just makes me want to play the air-hurdygurdy! Totally awesome!!!

        There is a secret tradition that the Templar was actually trained by ninjas. Of course, there is no documentation for this, otherwise it wouldn't be secret. ;-)

        Alcyoneus (who senses a severe fanning...)

        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Park McKellop <squire009@...> wrote:

        > If you really want to get Pavel's goat, go Japanese AND take up rapier.

        *thwacks Alcyoneus with fan* BAD bushi! No biscuit!

        Hotoru-hime, don't listen to him--we all know that rapier in Calontir
        will lead to Cavalier men and Scarlet women! And Baroque, SHAMELESS
        music that'll grab YOUR son and YOUR daughter with the arms of a
        jungle animal instink! Mass-staria!

        ;-D

        Ki no Torahime