[SCA-JML] Re: Population of

  • Tim McShane
    Message 1 of 50 , Feb 1, 2006
      Here's a few sites with info about a supposed "settling" of Japanese in the Spanish town of Coria del Rio, in 1614.

      http://www.expoaichi2005.com/en/html/03espanajapon/034_Locos.jsp

      http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/archives/2005/04/10/2003249897

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasekura_Tsunenaga

      Personally, I don't think anyone needs to do any proving of Japanese settlement in Europe to justify Japanese personae in the SCA, even if the BoD wants to tighten things up. There's no doubt the Portugese and Spanish made contact with Japan well before the close of the 17th C; therefore Japan is part of the experience of Western Europe within the SCA's time frame.

      - Shiro

    • Park McKellop
      Message 50 of 50 , Feb 5, 2006
        Just think about it...

        You could be a Japanese immigrant/visitor who was acculturating and really admiring all things European, the clothes, the food and the history. Plus, since you were taught by Jesuits, you'd have a decent grasp of the more distant past. Imagine the conversations you could have!

        Templars are awesome! They are totally sweet! And by sweet I mean mega-cool! They had Ultimate Fighting Power! There was this one Templar, who paid a Saracen to stable his horse, and the next morning he found out that his horse had been fed straw, rather than hay! He flipped out! I mean, he totally flipped out! He killed that Saracen, and that was just the start of it! Before he got tired, he'd killed the entire Caliphate! It just makes me want to play the air-hurdygurdy! Totally awesome!!!

        There is a secret tradition that the Templar was actually trained by ninjas. Of course, there is no documentation for this, otherwise it wouldn't be secret. ;-)

        Alcyoneus (who senses a severe fanning...)

        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Park McKellop <squire009@...> wrote:

        > If you really want to get Pavel's goat, go Japanese AND take up rapier.

        *thwacks Alcyoneus with fan* BAD bushi! No biscuit!

        Hotoru-hime, don't listen to him--we all know that rapier in Calontir
        will lead to Cavalier men and Scarlet women! And Baroque, SHAMELESS
        music that'll grab YOUR son and YOUR daughter with the arms of a
        jungle animal instink! Mass-staria!

        ;-D

        Ki no Torahime