Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Population of

    Message 1 of 50 , Feb 1, 2006

      > To my knowledge there was no "population" of Japanese in Europe in
      > period. While there may have been visitors and envoys, none should be
      > considered resident.

      Although I note the caveat, I think that the statement is still a bit
      too categorical. We should recall that we have no historical record of
      the vast majority of people living in Europe at the time. We can be
      rather confident that there was no invading army of Japanese at the
      time, but individuals and especially slaves, monks, refugees, &c. are
      not likely to have been recorded with details of their origin.

      > Gregory XIII, March 1585
      >
      >> Do we have names of these Japanese journeymen?
      > I believe some of the names are recored, I however (like most of us)
      > have not gained access to the scholarly works in question.

      Hara Martino (1568?-1629), Nakaura Julian
      (1570?-1633), Chijiwa Miguel (1570-?), and Itoh Mansho (1569?-1612)

      > Someone else's post commented on the "dissapearance" of an astounding
      > number of Christians when Hideyoshi banned Chrisitanity. Tens of
      > thousands were executed, some did flee to other lands near Japan
      > (Phillipines primarily), but I would imagine that many simply severed
      > their ties and faded into the woodwork.

      The Japanese ran a sort of Buddhist version of the Spanish Inquisition
      trying to ferret them out. They manufactured special "fumibumi"
      patterned after catholic icons so that people could officially step on
      them.

    • Park McKellop
      Message 50 of 50 , Feb 5, 2006
        Just think about it...

        You could be a Japanese immigrant/visitor who was acculturating and really admiring all things European, the clothes, the food and the history. Plus, since you were taught by Jesuits, you'd have a decent grasp of the more distant past. Imagine the conversations you could have!

        Templars are awesome! They are totally sweet! And by sweet I mean mega-cool! They had Ultimate Fighting Power! There was this one Templar, who paid a Saracen to stable his horse, and the next morning he found out that his horse had been fed straw, rather than hay! He flipped out! I mean, he totally flipped out! He killed that Saracen, and that was just the start of it! Before he got tired, he'd killed the entire Caliphate! It just makes me want to play the air-hurdygurdy! Totally awesome!!!

        There is a secret tradition that the Templar was actually trained by ninjas. Of course, there is no documentation for this, otherwise it wouldn't be secret. ;-)

        Alcyoneus (who senses a severe fanning...)

        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Park McKellop <squire009@...> wrote:

        > If you really want to get Pavel's goat, go Japanese AND take up rapier.

        *thwacks Alcyoneus with fan* BAD bushi! No biscuit!

        Hotoru-hime, don't listen to him--we all know that rapier in Calontir
        will lead to Cavalier men and Scarlet women! And Baroque, SHAMELESS
        music that'll grab YOUR son and YOUR daughter with the arms of a
        jungle animal instink! Mass-staria!

        ;-D

        Ki no Torahime