Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Population of

  • sigrune@aol.com
    Message 1 of 50 , Feb 1 1:42 PM
      In reply:

      >Thank you for your thoughts on the matter. But, and I
      >apologize for repeating myself, but can we not get any more
      >specific about *which* records in *which* archives? Does
      >anyone not know of specific works by scholars which
      >document, in a sound historical fashion, these events in
      >March, 1585?

      I thought I made it clear that I have not been able to track down english language works on this material, nor find the respective authors specific references/bibliography. If you find source material, please let me know, for I have not found any myself, but I have not done any real digging for it.

      As for specific records, track down the lists of envoys to the various courts visited (spain, portugal, vatican) Track down collections of documents from the reign of James I (of England) Look for lists of Catholic Bishops of Japan, in both the Japanese and RCC records. I have not done the work myself, so I cannot even refer you to a specific book, archive, or library.

      -Takeda
    • Park McKellop
      Message 50 of 50 , Feb 5 9:23 PM
        Just think about it...

        You could be a Japanese immigrant/visitor who was acculturating and really admiring all things European, the clothes, the food and the history. Plus, since you were taught by Jesuits, you'd have a decent grasp of the more distant past. Imagine the conversations you could have!

        Templars are awesome! They are totally sweet! And by sweet I mean mega-cool! They had Ultimate Fighting Power! There was this one Templar, who paid a Saracen to stable his horse, and the next morning he found out that his horse had been fed straw, rather than hay! He flipped out! I mean, he totally flipped out! He killed that Saracen, and that was just the start of it! Before he got tired, he'd killed the entire Caliphate! It just makes me want to play the air-hurdygurdy! Totally awesome!!!

        There is a secret tradition that the Templar was actually trained by ninjas. Of course, there is no documentation for this, otherwise it wouldn't be secret. ;-)

        Alcyoneus (who senses a severe fanning...)

        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Park McKellop <squire009@...> wrote:

        > If you really want to get Pavel's goat, go Japanese AND take up rapier.

        *thwacks Alcyoneus with fan* BAD bushi! No biscuit!

        Hotoru-hime, don't listen to him--we all know that rapier in Calontir
        will lead to Cavalier men and Scarlet women! And Baroque, SHAMELESS
        music that'll grab YOUR son and YOUR daughter with the arms of a
        jungle animal instink! Mass-staria!

        ;-D

        Ki no Torahime