Re: Population of

  • Caroline Foster
    Message 1 of 50 , Feb 1, 2006
      > Much of the information is second hand, without documentation.
      ***
      > I believe there are numerous church records about the visit, (both
      from the vatican and the jesuits), there are several pieces of
      artwork, and several accounts in Japanese records.

      Thank you for your thoughts on the matter. But, and I apologize for
      repeating myself, but can we not get any more specific about *which*
      records in *which* archives? Does anyone not know of specific works
      by scholars which document, in a sound historical fashion, these
      events in March, 1585? It's just not sufficient, IMO, to work on hear-
      say and "free sources". I'd really like to get at some certified
      research on this subject, as my own searches through JSTOR, archives
      of the major journals, have been turning up blanks.

      In patient appreciation,
      *renpu*
    • Park McKellop
      Message 50 of 50 , Feb 5, 2006
        Just think about it...

        You could be a Japanese immigrant/visitor who was acculturating and really admiring all things European, the clothes, the food and the history. Plus, since you were taught by Jesuits, you'd have a decent grasp of the more distant past. Imagine the conversations you could have!

        Templars are awesome! They are totally sweet! And by sweet I mean mega-cool! They had Ultimate Fighting Power! There was this one Templar, who paid a Saracen to stable his horse, and the next morning he found out that his horse had been fed straw, rather than hay! He flipped out! I mean, he totally flipped out! He killed that Saracen, and that was just the start of it! Before he got tired, he'd killed the entire Caliphate! It just makes me want to play the air-hurdygurdy! Totally awesome!!!

        There is a secret tradition that the Templar was actually trained by ninjas. Of course, there is no documentation for this, otherwise it wouldn't be secret. ;-)

        Alcyoneus (who senses a severe fanning...)

        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Park McKellop <squire009@...> wrote:

        > If you really want to get Pavel's goat, go Japanese AND take up rapier.

        *thwacks Alcyoneus with fan* BAD bushi! No biscuit!

        Hotoru-hime, don't listen to him--we all know that rapier in Calontir
        will lead to Cavalier men and Scarlet women! And Baroque, SHAMELESS
        music that'll grab YOUR son and YOUR daughter with the arms of a
        jungle animal instink! Mass-staria!

        ;-D

        Ki no Torahime