Re: [SCA-JML] Population of

    Message 1 of 50 , Feb 1 9:36 AM

      > Does anybody know the population numbers for christian Japanese in
      > Europe in the late period?

      I am pretty sure that this information is unobtainable. While we do
      know about the activities of some prominent visitors to Europe
      including the four young Japanese who met the pope, the Iberians had
      the rather bad habit of buying Japanese slaves and then transporting
      them out of Japan. Japanese slavery was largely an endenture
      institution wherein there was the real possibility of the contract
      being bought back by the family or in the case of women by a suitor.
      However, the Iberians viewed Japanese slaves as transportable chattel.
      This was one of the causes for conflict between the Iberians and the
      Japanese. The major objection of the Japanese government specifically
      against christians was their propensity to express loyalty to the
      christian hierarchy and to other christians above their loyalty to
      their feudal lord/employer.

      > or killed. But what if say...10,000 made it to europe.

      This is somewhat speculative and generally speaking the Iberian
      missionaries were more intent on making it into Japan than on
      transporting Japanese christians out of Japan. However, the closure of
      Japan is generally believed to have stranded Japanese pretty much all
      over the place. This would generally include South East Asia. You
      should expect to find Japanese expatriates in places such as Macao
      (sp). A Japanese author believes that there were a few Japanese settled
      in Neuvo Espania (Mexico) at the time of the Japanese expedition to
      Europe which proceeded by crossing the Pacific on Japanese ships and
      then transshipping to European vessels for the Atlantic crossing.

    • Park McKellop
      Message 50 of 50 , Feb 5 9:23 PM
        Just think about it...

        You could be a Japanese immigrant/visitor who was acculturating and really admiring all things European, the clothes, the food and the history. Plus, since you were taught by Jesuits, you'd have a decent grasp of the more distant past. Imagine the conversations you could have!

        Templars are awesome! They are totally sweet! And by sweet I mean mega-cool! They had Ultimate Fighting Power! There was this one Templar, who paid a Saracen to stable his horse, and the next morning he found out that his horse had been fed straw, rather than hay! He flipped out! I mean, he totally flipped out! He killed that Saracen, and that was just the start of it! Before he got tired, he'd killed the entire Caliphate! It just makes me want to play the air-hurdygurdy! Totally awesome!!!

        There is a secret tradition that the Templar was actually trained by ninjas. Of course, there is no documentation for this, otherwise it wouldn't be secret. ;-)

        Alcyoneus (who senses a severe fanning...)

        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Park McKellop <squire009@...> wrote:

        > If you really want to get Pavel's goat, go Japanese AND take up rapier.

        *thwacks Alcyoneus with fan* BAD bushi! No biscuit!

        Hotoru-hime, don't listen to him--we all know that rapier in Calontir
        will lead to Cavalier men and Scarlet women! And Baroque, SHAMELESS
        music that'll grab YOUR son and YOUR daughter with the arms of a
        jungle animal instink! Mass-staria!

        ;-D

        Ki no Torahime