Gagaku class at Atlantian University, Feb 4, 2006

  • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 30, 2006
      Event Flyer: http://acorn.atlantia.sca.org/event_flyer.php?event_id=d0906402
      Atlantian University home page: http://university.atlantia.sca.org/

      This is a shameless plug for my wife's class "No, It's Not a Dying
      Cat: Classical Japanese Music and Dance"--a class on traditional
      gagaku music at this upcoming University.

      "Gagaku, the classical music of the Japanese court, can sound very
      strange to our Western ears, but it has a beauty and charm all its
      own. Come learn about this musical style: how it originated in Korea
      and T'ang Dynasty China, what instruments it was played on, and where
      and when it was (and still is!) performed. These are the tunes
      Murasaki Shikibu and Sei Shonagon hummed along to!"

      http://university.atlantia.sca.org/class.aspx?id=67

      There is also a class on temari: "Once children's toys, the humble
      thread ball has become beautiful art. Come and learn the basics of
      creating these lovely pieces. Kits and handout will be provided by
      instructor ($5). Please bring your own scissors. (1 Hour)"

      Okay, enough blatant advertising.

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 30, 2006
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)"
        <tatsushu@g...> wrote:
        > These are the tunes
        > Murasaki Shikibu and Sei Shonagon hummed along to!"

        Wrong coast! Argh! I want a full report.

        Saionji no Hanae, rockin' to the oldies in
        The West Kingdom
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 30, 2006
          Ii dono!

          Greetings from Solveig! They sound like nice classes and I rather like
          the reference to cats in Gagaku. I generally tell people that it sounds
          like cats being killed slowly. Possibly by being skinned alive.
          However, I really doubt that any of those court lady's were humming
          gagaku. A lot of it is rather un-hummable. There were of course
          parallel folk musical forms in Japan which were likely as not rather
          more humable. One more or less serious note, as I recall there are
          generally believed to be four musical traditions in Gagaku not just the
          Chinese and the Korean.

        • mokurai
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 31, 2006
            Hey Ellen - break a leg. :)

            - mo

            --
            "Everything must be huge,
            decadent and unnecessary,
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 31, 2006
              On 1/31/06, mokurai <mokurai@...> wrote:
              > Hey Ellen - break a leg. :)
              >
              > - mo

              Or, as many people would prefer, a hichiriki. ^_^

              (Thanks!)

              - Abe
            • Ellen Badgley
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 31, 2006
                > However, I really doubt that any of those court lady's were humming
                > gagaku. A lot of it is rather un-hummable. There were of course
                > parallel folk musical forms in Japan which were likely as not rather
                > more humable.

                I was referring more to roei and saibara, which I'll also be
                discussing in the class. (Plus the totally period tradition of
                writing "filk" to the tune of "Etenraku"...)

                > One more or less serious note, as I recall there are
                > generally believed to be four musical traditions in Gagaku not just the
                > Chinese and the Korean.

                Yep, will be covering all of that. Writing class blurbs can be a fine
                art in and of itself!

                - Abe no Kotori
              • ladypyrate@charter.net
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 31, 2006
                  > Message: 2
                  > Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 21:53:46 -0500
                  > From: "Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)" <tatsushu@...>
                  > Subject: Gagaku class at Atlantian University, Feb 4, 2006
                  >
                  > Event Flyer: http://acorn.atlantia.sca.org/event_flyer.php?event_id=d0906402
                  > Atlantian University home page: http://university.atlantia.sca.org/
                  >
                  > This is a shameless plug for my wife's class "No, It's Not a Dying
                  > Cat: Classical Japanese Music and Dance"--a class on traditional
                  > gagaku music at this upcoming University.
                  >
                  > "Gagaku, the classical music of the Japanese court, can sound very
                  > strange to our Western ears, but it has a beauty and charm all its
                  > own. Come learn about this musical style: how it originated in Korea
                  > and T'ang Dynasty China, what instruments it was played on, and where
                  > and when it was (and still is!) performed. These are the tunes
                  > Murasaki Shikibu and Sei Shonagon hummed along to!"
                  >
                  > http://university.atlantia.sca.org/class.aspx?id=67
                  >
                  > There is also a class on temari: "Once children's toys, the humble
                  > thread ball has become beautiful art. Come and learn the basics of
                  > creating these lovely pieces. Kits and handout will be provided by
                  > instructor ($5). Please bring your own scissors. (1 Hour)"

                  Ii-dono,
                  Thanks for the plug! As of now the Teamri class is full, but I will happily send copies of teh handout to anyone that would like one, just provide me with a mailing address and it shall be done!

                  Meadhbh
                  Obune-hime
                • Elaine Koogler
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 31, 2006
                    ladypyrate@... wrote:

                    > > Message: 2
                    > > Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 21:53:46 -0500
                    > > From: "Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)" <tatsushu@...>
                    > > Subject: Gagaku class at Atlantian University, Feb 4, 2006
                    > >
                    > > Event Flyer:
                    > http://acorn.atlantia.sca.org/event_flyer.php?event_id=d0906402
                    > > Atlantian University home page: http://university.atlantia.sca.org/
                    > >
                    > > This is a shameless plug for my wife's class "No, It's Not a Dying
                    > > Cat: Classical Japanese Music and Dance"--a class on traditional
                    > > gagaku music at this upcoming University.
                    > >
                    > > "Gagaku, the classical music of the Japanese court, can sound very
                    > > strange to our Western ears, but it has a beauty and charm all its
                    > > own. Come learn about this musical style: how it originated in Korea
                    > > and T'ang Dynasty China, what instruments it was played on, and where
                    > > and when it was (and still is!) performed. These are the tunes
                    > > Murasaki Shikibu and Sei Shonagon hummed along to!"
                    > >
                    > > http://university.atlantia.sca.org/class.aspx?id=67
                    > >
                    > > There is also a class on temari: "Once children's toys, the humble
                    > > thread ball has become beautiful art. Come and learn the basics of
                    > > creating these lovely pieces. Kits and handout will be provided by
                    > > instructor ($5). Please bring your own scissors. (1 Hour)"
                    > >

                    > Ii-dono,
                    > Thanks for the plug! As of now the Teamri class is full, but I will
                    > happily send copies of teh handout to anyone that would like one, just
                    > provide me with a mailing address and it shall be done!
                    >
                    > Meadhbh
                    > Obune-hime

                    Me, me, me!!!!! (waving hands furiously in the air to get your
                    attention.....). Yes, please. I'd love to have one.

                    Kiri

                    (Elaine Koogler
                    1600 Clay Hammond Rd.
                    Prince Frederick, MD 20678)
                  • latanya.taylor@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 31, 2006
                      oh now why can't i find a class like that up here? :(
                      From: Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1@...>

                    • Caroline Foster
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 31, 2006
                        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, latanya.taylor@c... wrote:

                        > oh now why can't i find a class like that up here? :(

                        Perhaps the honoured Sensei or Shisho will post the class notes at a
                        later time? I understand that this is not as satisfactory as actually
                        attending, but it may serve as a helpful contribution to the scholarly
                        work on this community as a whole. Bibliographies, lecture notes,
                        even an annotated glossary . . . I'm sure these things would be much
                        appreciated, to beg the time and consideration of our esteemed
                        teachers.

                        *renpu*
                      • ladymedb1600
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 1, 2006
                          > > Thanks for the plug! As of now the Teamri class is full, but I
                          will
                          > > happily send copies of teh handout to anyone that would like one,
                          just
                          > > provide me with a mailing address and it shall be done!
                          > >
                          > > Meadhbh
                          > > Obune-hime
                          > >
                          > Me, me, me!!!!! (waving hands furiously in the air to get your
                          > attention.....). Yes, please. I'd love to have one.
                          >
                          > Kiri
                          >
                          > (Elaine Koogler
                          > 1600 Clay Hammond Rd.
                          > Prince Frederick, MD 20678)

                          Kiri-sensei,
                          It shall be done. Is there the possibility you may be at Ymir next
                          weekend? I will be apprenticing to Mistress Rachel and can bring the
                          papers then.
                          Meadhbh
                          Obune-hime
                        • latanya.taylor@comcast.net
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 1, 2006
                            me too please

                            LaTanya Taylor
                            9110 NE 139th St
                            Kirkland, WA 98034

                            many thanks!

                            -Affrika
                            From: "ladymedb1600" <ladypyrate@...>

                          • Elaine Koogler
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 1, 2006
                              ladymedb1600 wrote:

                              > Kiri-sensei,
                              > It shall be done. Is there the possibility you may be at Ymir next
                              > weekend? I will be apprenticing to Mistress Rachel and can bring the
                              > papers then.
                              > Meadhbh
                              > Obune-hime

                              Unfortunately no...both Phillip and I will be returning home from a week
                              out of town working...and I am up to elbows getting ready to cook a
                              Middle Eastern feast in Dun Carraig on Feb. 25. I may be able to make
                              Kingdom A&S Festival (not sure...I have an American Cancer Society
                              training session that morning), so could get them form you then.

                              Kiri