Re: [SCA-JML] Re: What is yokagura

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 30, 2006

      Greetings from Solveig! The explanation of kagura was pretty good.
      Kagura (lit. god music) is intended to propitiate the gods. You can
      read about kagura in several different books, but I recommend Avatars
      of Vengence for an idea about why kagura is performed. Technically, the
      yamabushi practice a related religion called shugendo, but the practice
      is also related. In the Gods Come Dancing you can read about the
      evolution from early shamanistic practices where dancers were possessed
      by the gods to more abstract practices in which the god enters a prop
      maintained by the dancer. For some reason, I remembered kagura being
      almost always performed at night. There are planting rituals with
      accompanying music and dance which are performed during the daytime,
      but I thought that narrative kagura was performed at night. Regardless,
      folk kagura frequently culminates with the revelation of the
      god/goddess in question.