Re: [SCA-JML] Re: What's JSTOR

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 15, 2006

      > I guess it's better than being shot or robbed, but not much :(
      > Zannen....
      Being shot and killed is a feature of other places I have been. At my
      undergraduate school, someone decided to sit on his porch and shoot at
      passing cars until the police showed up and took him away. Where I went
      to graduate school, someone was shot a couple of doors down from the
      campus police station. Actually, when I first arrived in graduate
      school, about half the buildings nearby were gutted by fire and local
      property owners were hiring arsonists to burn their buildings. At
      Bradley University, someone was shot at the little shopping centre
      across the street from the campus. Where I am now, you mostly have to
      dodge Amish buggies going in and out of town and drunken students
      either driving or walking inside of town. However, somebody enlivened
      the lives of the local shopkeepers by breaking their windows over
      Winter break this year.